PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism on holiday agenda

thedrifter
05-26-06, 07:37 AM
Patriotism on holiday agenda
May 26,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Area folks looking to infuse some patriotism into their Memorial Day celebrations this Monday have a couple of options.

The first event is the 3rd annual Sneads Ferry Memorial Day parade, which begins at 10 a.m. at New River Community Church on Wheeler Creek Road. The parade will snake its way onto Fulchers Landing Road, travel along the Sneads Ferry waterfront, onto Peru Road and end at the Sneads Ferry Community Building, where a remembrance ceremony will be held.

That’s the point of the parade and Memorial Day, said retired Maj. Gen. Joe Rigby, the parade’s organizer: remembering the sacrifice of those warriors who came before.

“It’s just a general day of remembrance and celebration of our veterans and those who gave it all,” he said.

Rigby decided to begin holding the annual parade because he saw a gap in the community.

“I looked at what the county was doing to honor the memory of those who sacrificed, I saw there weren’t any parades,” he said. “I thought Sneads Ferry is a veteran community, I’ll just start something here. And we’ve grown every year.

“I’ve never seen the parade,” he added. “I have to rush from one place to another.”

They had about 200 groups marching before about 700 spectators in last year’s parade. Any groups such as businesses and veterans or civic organization that are interested in marching in the parade can call Rigby at 327-0692. Groups should assemble at the parade starting point no later than 9 a.m. Monday.

“If you forget to call, just show up,” he said. “We’ve got a flag for you and we’ll put you in the parade. It doesn’t have to be a float. Just someone that wants to show their respect.”

The other Memorial Day celebration in Onslow County is the Fleet Reserve Association’s annual ceremony at the Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery in Jacksonville near the Camp Johnson entrance. The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. and will feature guest speaker state Sen. Harry Brown and will be followed by the branch’s yearly flag-disposal ceremony.

“We put them on a big rack and burn them and have a little ceremony,” said Earl Harper, a ceremony organizer. “They are unserviceable flags. They are not fit to fly.”

Two services are planned this weekend in Carteret County to commemorate Memorial Day.

On Saturday, the Veterans Council of Carteret County will host its annual Memorial Day program at the county Veterans Memorial in front of the courthouse in Beaufort.

The service begins at 11 a.m. and will feature retired Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Tempel of Pine Knoll Shores as guest speaker. Tempel retired in 1996 as the U.S. Army deputy surgeon general and is recognized as a clinician, educator, administrator and dental scientist.

At the close of the program, the public and guests will be invited to decorate the memorial in honor of loved ones.

On Monday, American Legion Post 46 will host a Memorial Day Service at the veterans’ memorial located at Bayview cemetery in Morehead City. The program will begin at 11 a.m. and will include remarks from guest speaker Morehead City Mayor Jerry Jones.

Ultimately, Memorial Day is about taking time out of busy schedules to remember the past and share some old-fashioned American pride, said Harper.

“Everybody has different things,” he said. “To me, it gives us a chance to stop and relax and honor our departed service people and reflect on the past. And fly our flags.”

Jannette Pippin contributed to this report. Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 229.

Ellie