PDA

View Full Version : E-mail From Senator John Douglas.

Sunshine
05-25-06, 10:17 AM
I am posting this for Senator John Douglas with his permission.

I want to introduce you all to Eric Blanford, 21, of Henry County, a member of the GA Army National Guard who just got home from Iraq. He was in the midst of the fighting and did a great job for us overseas.

Before he got back to the Sandy Ridge area of Henry County, his mother decorated up the yard, house and fence with patriotic symbols, flags and other items to show her appreciation for his hard work. She also put a sign by the front of the driveway welcoming him home. It certainly was a eye catcher and certain to get the attention of those passing by.

No one stopped to welcome Eric home. Not one person. As I was going by there yesterday, I too did not stop but went on down to a church parking lot and thought, "I need to go back and welcome that young man home. He must have just gotten back." So I went back and walked up to the front porch and met his mother. She told me the decorations had been up three weeks but I was the first to stop and say hello. Eric was at the post office so I didn't get to meet him then, but I left my card and told her to have him call me.

He did call me shortly thereafter and I went back to the house. We had a wonderful visit of about 45 minutes, talked about some of his experiences in the National Guard and I went over some of the new benefits he is due because of his service. I also called the Dept of Natural Resources while I was there because he had just paid for a fishing license that he was entitled to have free, because it was included in SB 258 last year.

Eric will be starting Gordon College this fall and has plans for himself. He is also staying in the National Guard.

To make a long story short, Eric and his mother were delightful and I had a great visit. But here is what I need. Please send him emails welcoming him home: guitarplayer8888@aol.com. (guitarplayer8888@aol.com.) Show him how much we appreciate what he and the others have done for us and let's make sure he knows he isn't forgotten.

Thank you all and God bless America.

John