PDA

View Full Version : Challenger Irey criticizes Murtha on Iraq comments

thedrifter
05-25-06, 06:41 AM
Campaign 2006: Challenger Irey criticizes Murtha on Iraq comments
Thursday, May 25, 2006
By Maeve Reston, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON - In the first chapter of what is likely to be a blistering campaign, U.S. Rep. John Murtha's Republican challenger, Diana L. Irey, traveled to Washington yesterday to decry Mr. Murtha as one-time patriot who has "lost his way" after his recent comments about a November incident involving U.S. Marines and civilian killings in the city of Haditha, Iraq.

In remarks at the National Press Club, Ms. Irey, a Washington County commissioner, asked Mr. Murtha to apologize for and retract his comments about the incident in Haditha in which 15 unarmed Iraqis and eight insurgents died after a Marine was killed by a roadside bomb.

Though government officials originally said the civilians were killed by the bomb and that the insurgents died after an ensuing firefight, Time Magazine reported in March that witnesses and local officials said the civilians, including women and children, were killed by Marines angry about their colleagues' death. The deaths are still under investigation by the Defense Department.

During a May 17 news conference, Mr. Murtha referenced the incident as he pressed his case to reporters that the U.S. should pull troops out of Iraq. He said a Pentagon investigation would ultimately show that the troops in Haditha "overreacted because of the pressure on them and killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

Mr. Murtha, who has close ties to top defense officials as a retired Marine colonel and the top-ranking Democrat on the House committee that handles defense appropriations, said he had not read the Pentagon report but was basing his information on frequent discussions with "the commanders," he said, "people that know what they're talking about."

Ms. Irey, of Carroll Township, said Mr. Murtha was denying the Marines due process and had put American troops in danger with his remarks.

"John Murtha was a patriot," Ms. Irey said at the Press Club. "...But many years have passed and I say again my opponent has lost his way because the comments and actions of late are not that of a patriot. Rather they serve to aid and comfort our enemies."

"These inflammatory remarks read around the world not only put Americans lives at risk," she said, "but will also be used as a recruiting tool for terrorist organizations."

A spokeswoman for Mr. Murtha said the congressman would not comment on Ms. Irey's remarks.

The crowd gathered at Ms. Irey's event yesterday illustrated the prominent role that critics of Mr. Murtha's from outside the 12th District are likely to play in this race. At least three of the eight veterans standing behind Ms. Irey on the dais during her speech at the Press Club were from Virginia and Ms. Irey said financial support was pouring in from around the country for her race against the well-financed Mr. Murtha.

One of those veterans, Eric Cooper of Springfield, Virginia, said he sent Ms. Irey a contribution yesterday and has been promoting her Web site to those who are angry about Mr. Murtha's comments on Iraq.

"There's a lot of anger out there [at Mr. Murtha] and she kind of represents that anger for us," said Mr. Cooper, who said he served in the Marines between 1984 and 1993. "I know that I cannot vote for Diana Irey, but I can support her and I will."

As of late April, Federal Election Commission records show that Ms. Irey had raised nearly $75,600 but had less than $27,000 in cash. Mr. Murtha, who is among the top recipients of lobbyist contributions in Congress, had nearly $1.5 million on hand for the race.

(Maeve Reston can be reached at 202-488-3479 or mreston@post-gazette.com. )

Ellie