PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Lcp Jonathan Collins

maureensmom
05-25-06, 05:54 AM
<TABLE class=maintable_1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headline vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>'Because he lived' </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Publication</TD><TD vAlign=top>Northwest Herald </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Date</TD><TD vAlign=top>May 22, 2006</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Section(s)</TD><TD vAlign=top>Main</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Page</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD class=title vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>

CRYSTAL LAKE - Angel Collins recently described the feeling as "thawing."
"When something like this happens, you all go into a deep sleep," Angel Collins, of Crystal Lake, said. "You are absolutely frozen in pain and grief."
She has reason to know. On Aug. 8, 2004, her son, United States Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jonathan W. Collins, was killed while serving in Ar Ramadi, Iraq. He was 19.
"My family is thawing," Angel Collins said. "They're starting to come back and smile and feel the weather."
Under Sunday's sunny skies, Jonathan Collins's family smiled, wept and glowed with pride at an inaugural run and walk conducted in the fallen Marine's honor. The family was joined at Lippold Park in Crystal Lake by about 200 friends, neighbors and members of the U.S. Marine Corps, which many described as a family in and of itself.
When Jonathan Collins died, his family decided to celebrate the energy and spirit of their son. Today, the Jonathan W. Collins Memorial Fund supports capital campaigns at Crystal Lake South High School, Jonathan Collins's alma mater; the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots program; and a $500 service scholarship, administered by the Crystal Lake Jaycees.
"You can kind of sit there and just be, or you can do something with your life," said Jack Collins, Jonathan Collins's father.
Jonathan Collins was a doer.
While in high school, he played sports, was involved in the theater program and honed his leadership skills through Gator Pride. At 17, he deferred a year of high school to join the Marines. Angel Collins said her son loved Crystal Lake South and demonstrated his commitment to service early on.
"He loved to do things for people," she said.
Collins served with the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, Fox Company, and was deployed to Al Anbar province. Jonathan Collins saw the experience as an opportunity to make life better for the residents of the area, Jack Collins said.
"Jonathan loved being a Marine," Jack Collins said. "He really wanted to make a difference for those kids."
The inaugural run-walk was the second official fund-raiser that the Collins family had conducted to benefit Jonathan's memorial fund. A golf outing earlier this month raised money for an Oak Park church that is naming its new community center after Jonathan Collins, his father said.
"It's been good to be able to do things," Angel Collins said. "I like to say when this all happened, I thought to myself I hoped I could get to a place where I would be able to remember my son not because he died but because he lived. These things allow you to work towards that and towards remembering the wonderful life that he lived."
Angel Collins said she had every intention of making the run-walk an annual event the weekend before Memorial Day.
That celebration on Sunday included a group of Marine recruits running in cadence and a presentation of the American flag by the Carpentersville-Crystal Lake Marine Corps Recruiting office color guard. Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn, an advocate for military families in Illinois, asked participants to remember the impact of a young man known for his "vigor and enthusiasm."
"We have to be faithful to Jonathan's memory ... to keep him alive," Quinn said. "It's our job to take Jonathan's life and make sure it is remembered.
"Jonathan, looking down on us, will know we're always faithful to him."
Amy Seussen, Jonathan Collins's godmother, said Collins would have enjoyed the morning event.
"He'd be excited about it and happy that the weather was good," she said with a grin. "Jon had a way of making every event he went to a party.
"Whatever we can do to keep his memory going will be done," Suessen continued.
Donations to the Lance Cpl. Jonathan W. Collins Memorial Fund may be sent in care of Crystal Lake Bank and Trust, 70 N. Williams St. Crystal Lake, 60014.
By REGAN FOSTER rfoster@nwherald.com
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>