PDA

View Full Version : Flags and Roses Are All We Have

fontman
05-24-06, 07:04 AM
Received below in this morning's email; passing on to all onboard here...

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:35 PM
To: Undisclosed Recipients

Flags and Roses Are All We Have

I see one just over there, Comes another call, Yes, that's old Joe, you remember him? His name's up on The Wall.

He's been here since sixty eight, Not near as long as some. He was just two weeks from the Freedom Bird, When he caught one saving Tom.

Where is Tom? Oh here he is, Not very far form Joe. It's easier now for both of them, They're close, not far to go

And here's a friend from the coffee crowd, we'd gather once a week. He'd laugh at just about anything. Of his pains we didn't speak.

He'd lost a foot, and part of his hand, In Europe in forty five. He fought for this land, way over there. Came home hurt and just alive.

We gather on the other side, By the pond, down in the back We want to visit the new ones there, From Afghanistan or Iraq

The grass shows off it's verdant green Against the marble stones. As we pause to honor each man's grave, And talk in humbled tones.

So many stones, and little bronze plaques; Separate bits of history, each. Flags and roses are all we have. Do you think they heard the speech?

We choke up every now and then, When we see a particular name For there lies another one of us, But after all, that's why we came.

Harvey Britt, USMC, Retired

jennifer
05-24-06, 08:24 AM
Wow, that was good. I know they did hear the speech and they are always watching over us. I kind of choked up myslef. :( I thank God each and everyday for the ones that are out there right now and for the ones that were. Thank you all who are out there or who have been. Me personally, I want to go back. I sometimes would rather be out there then here.

"Only the dead see the end of war."

booksbenji
05-24-06, 08:46 AM
http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/salute.gif

Ed Palmer
05-24-06, 09:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/ROSE.gif