View Full Version : Marines say thanks for writing

thedrifter
05-24-06, 06:28 AM
Marines say thanks for writing
Retirement community residents sent troops cards, letters of support
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Allison Kolodziej
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

With the Marines’ Hymn playing in the background, Lance Cpl. Chad McMahon entered the room to applause.

It was similar to many ceremonies where civilians welcome home or show their appreciation for U.S. servicemen and women. Except McMahon was the one saying "thanks" yesterday at First Community Village in Upper Arlington. The retirement community’s residents have sent cards and letters of support to troops serving in Iraq.

"I’m so proud of them," Lena Legue, 96, said after playing the Marines’ Hymn on a harmonica.

McMahon, 22, of Dublin, joined members of the Marine Corps Family Support Community to thank the residents for the homemade cards they sent to troops in March.

"All I can say is thank you," McMahon said. "We appreciate it and thank you. I can’t say it enough."

The residents used construction paper, markers and stamps to design their cards with help from the activities staff.

They offered warm words: Please get back safely. God bless America. Thank you for your service.

There was even a Go Bucks card.

"We get letters every month telling us how wonderful these notes and cards make them feel," said Michele Gire, president of the support group.

Gire, of Centerburg, shared stories about her three sons, all active-duty Marines. Two have served in Iraq.

"You guys are very wonderful," she told residents. "You’re very positive, and that is what these guys need."

The Marine Corps Family Support Community was established in 2003 and has chapters throughout Ohio. The group offers chat nights and events for families, and sends care packages and letters to active military personnel.

The First Community crowd included veterans and many with military relatives.

"I think they all have family connections in one way or another," said Char Christensen, activities director for First Community Village. "They have a lot of pride."

Christensen said residents will begin sending cards and letters each month.

"It’s a community outreach program," she said. "It gives them an opportunity to feel like they’re making a difference."

Dennis Benson, a Worthington resident and member of the Family Support Community, organized Monday’s program. His son is back in the U.S. after two tours in Iraq.

He personally thanked every resident in attendance. "I was delighted," he said. "You look at their eyes, you look at the smiles … it was very warm. Everyone appreciated it."

akolodziej@dispatch.com

Ellie