PDA

View Full Version : Documentary features personal video of Lima Company Marines

marinefamily5
05-24-06, 05:43 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Bethany Lyons gets caught off guard whenever she hears the recorded voice of her husband, a Marine who died in Iraq.

She saw her husband again, and listened to his voice, on video clips Tuesday night at an emotional and somber screening of a new documentary on the Columbus-based Lima Company, which lost 16 members, including Lance Cpl. Christopher Lyons.

More than 300 family and friends attended the private event. One woman walked out of a theater crying, her hands covering her face. Dozens others used handkerchiefs to wipe their red eyes.

But Bethany Lyons said it was therapeutic.

Advertisement

"I love seeing the boys," said Lyons, 24, of Ashland. "They know they're all my Marines because they took care of Christopher when I couldn't be there, and for that, they're all my heroes."

The film, "Combat Diary: The Marines of Lima Company," uses personal video shot by the Marines, and debuts Thursday on the A&E Network.

Lima Company has received much media attention, but this is the first documentary about the unit, part of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines based in Brook Park, said Maj. Kirk Greiner.

The Marines provided director and producer Michael Epstein with hours of footage.

Epstein said he and co-producer Jonathan Yellen, a former Marine who served during Desert Storm, wanted to cover the war in a different way.

"Everybody was focusing on the number dead," he said. "What people knew was that they had died, not what they accomplished in Iraq or who they were."

The video footage captures the Marines in some of their most candid moments because it was filmed for personal use, Epstein said.

In one, the late Cpl. Andre Williams makes a video for his daughter's sixth birthday, Epstein said. In another, Lance Cpl. Nicholas Bloem takes part in a pizza-eating contest.

Bloem was one of 14 Marines killed in a roadside bombing Aug. 3. Nine were from Lima Company, and Bloem and another Marine were serving as part of the unit while in Iraq.

Williams died July 28 along with another Lima Company Marine when his unit was attacked with small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades in western Iraq.

Other documentaries about the Iraq war have focused on post-traumatic stress disorder and a war medical unit. Another, "The War Tapes," directed by Deborah Scranton, also featured footage shot by troops - members of the New Hampshire National Guard.

The rest of the Lima Company documentary is based on 22 hours of interviews with 15 Marines who survived the ordeal, including Maj. Stephen Lawson, the company's commander.

"I was grateful and really startled at the depth of their honesty," Epstein said. "They really held nothing back. ... They just needed to talk."

Those interviewed represent a cross-section of the company, coming from various platoons and ranks, Greiner said.

Epstein said the documentary shows a unit whose "cavalier" video-game attitude about war becomes "weathered and emotionally beaten" as fellow Marines die. In addition to the 16 based with Lima Company, seven others serving as part of the unit in Iraq also were killed.

Staff Sgt. Steve Hicks, 33, of Columbus, was one of the Marines interviewed for the film. He said he was apprehensive about working with the filmmakers because he didn't know what to expect. But he's pleased with the result.

"I liked every bit of it because it was something we lived for seven months," Hicks said. "Seeing in it this two-hour documentary puts it all together."

The documentary follows the Marines as they readjust at home as well as the effect the company's experience in Iraq had on Ohio communities, Epstein said.

"Because it's an all-volunteer service most of us ... are very, very removed from the daily life of war," Epstein said. "The country is so removed from the sacrifice of war.

"I'm hopeful the film gives people a greater sense of intimacy."

fontman
05-24-06, 11:15 AM
Unit That Lost 16 Marines Featured In New Documentary
Yahoo News
1 hour, 19 minutes ago

No one has seen what the Marines of Lima Company went through in Iraq last year, until now.

The A&E network held a special private screening in Columbus Tuesday night, for the unit and family members, of an upcoming documentary entitled "Combat Diary: The Marines of Lima Company."

The Columbus-based unit suffered more casualties than any other U.S. Military unit in Iraq.

"I hope this video will show people across the country that although we were a reserve unit and we were sent to Iraq that, hey, we did our job," said Staff Sgt. Steven Hicks, Lima Company.

The documentary uses video shot by the Marines and lets them tell the story of their mission in their own words.

"It's real hard having him gone for seven months and now having him gone permanently, so you have not had the chance to know what all he did in Iraq," said Robert Hoffman, whose son Justin was killed in combat.

This is the first documentary about the unit, part of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines based in Brook Park.

The movie premieres on the A&E network Thursday night at 9.

thedrifter
05-25-06, 09:28 AM
Sent to me by hubby...fontman

Ellie

A&E Documentary. To Watch or Not?
Posted By Subsunk on BlackFiveDotNet

Subsunk here. I found an article about the documentary on A&E Network
tonight. It is a documentary about our Marines in Iraq through their own
cameras, and in some cases
(editing being unknown) their own words. I have no idea whether these
young Men's films, photos, and words will be used to cast disparagement
on the war, and I don't care.

I just want to see our Men and how they treat each other, and what they
think. If it is anything like the Men I served with, I know there will
be irreverence, compassion, hot headed
opinion, and cool calculating scheming against their enemy as well as
wisdom beyond their years as a part of it. They may be blind and
reckless at times. But they will be Men.
And they will shoulder their burden as duty requires.

The article here shows that many of these Men died in the anti-tank
mine explosion under the AAV in Haditha last August. It is important that
we recognize what they died for. Not
just that they died. I send my condolences to the families of the
Cleveland area Marines who died defending their country from Islamic
intolerance and violence, and all families
who have lost sons, daughters, husbands and wives in the war. Their
sacrifice will be honored by Americans everywhere, and will be recognized
for the noble cause they served.

Gunnery Sgt. Shawn Delgado of Columbus said, "It shows that these are
not just Marines, but people too, just like anybody else, with families
who love them,'' said Delgado,
whose shaved head and chiseled features make him look like the
prototype for a "squared-away'' Marine. "I hope when people see this they will
realize, too, not just how much we
lost in Iraq, but how much we accomplished.''

If you get a chance to watch it, you might want to take a look. It may
be edited to propagandize for or against the war. I don't care. You are
all smart enough to judge for yourself
what is important about it.

Subsunk, out.

Semper Fidelis,
Mark

thedrifter
05-25-06, 09:30 AM
Too read more on the subject...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29541

Ellie

thedrifter
05-25-06, 07:18 PM
TV Alert... Marines

Combat Diary: The Marines of Lima Company'
9 p.m. today on A&E

Ellie

jinelson
05-26-06, 03:27 AM
I watched this twice in fact and feel that is was very well done. The only problem I had with it was it blew sand in my eyes watching it. It also reaffirmed the fact in my mind that our young warrior brothers are no different today than in mine many years ago. OORAH!!! L/3/25 Well done and thank you for service and may our brothers rest in peace.

Semper Fidelis

Jim

maverickmarine
05-26-06, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I watched that last night as well. I thought it was outstanding but I too had issue with sweaty eyeballs. It also brought back a few memories of my past but thankfully this is the appropriate weekend for me/us to pay tribute to those memories.

KillerKombo
05-26-06, 10:46 PM
I was lucky enough to be flipping through the channels when I recognized the familiar cammies.. I caught most of the show I think. Does anyone know where I can buy the video? I'd love to pass this to the other Marines in my shop, maybe some PME or something. It motivated the hell out of me and made me more proud to wear the uniform.

marinefamily5
05-26-06, 10:48 PM
you might try to get on there website. not sure if they do what the history channel does by selling copys of stuff they show

KillerKombo
05-26-06, 11:00 PM
Thanks! Here's the direct link if anyone else is interested:
http://store.aetv.com/html/search/searchindex.jhtml?search=Combat+Diary%3A+The+Marin es+of+Lima+Company&itemType=All&key=||Combat%20Diary:%20The%20Marines%20of%20Lima% 20Company||&_requestid=82226

Phantom Blooper
05-26-06, 11:09 PM
Saturday, May 27 @ 8pm/7C
Sunday, May 28 @ 12am/11C
Sunday, May 28 @ 1pm/12C
Monday, May 29 @ 8am/7C
Monday, May 29 @ 2pm/1C
Saturday, June 03 @ 11am/10C