PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks' Maines: "I Apologized For Disrespecting The Office Of The President.

thedrifter
05-22-06, 10:56 AM
Dixie Chicks' Maines: "I Apologized For Disrespecting The Office Of The President. But I Don't Feel That Way Anymore. I Don't Feel He Is Owed Any Respect Whatsoever"...

Time | Posted May 21, 2006 08:32 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/ap/DixieChicksT05290.jpg

"I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President. But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever," Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines tells TIME's music critic Josh Tyrangiel, of her remark to a London audience in 2003: "Just so you know, we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." TIME's cover story, "Radical Chicks," hits newsstands Monday, May 22nd.

"I got hot from my head to my toes-just kind of this rush of 'Ohhh, s___,' says Dixie Chick Emily Robison of Maines' 2003 statement. "It wasn't that I didn't agree with her 100%; it was just, 'Oh, this is going to stir something up.'"

The first single from the Dixie Chicks' new album, Taking the Long Way (out May 23), is called Not Ready to Make Nice. It's quite possible that in singing about their anger at people who were already livid with them and were once their target audience, the Chicks have written their own ticket to the pop-culture glue factory, writes Tyrangiel.

"I guess if we really cared, we wouldn't have released that single first," says Dixie Chick Martie Maguire. "That was just making people mad. But I don't think it was a mistake." Robison tells TIME: "We wrote it for ourselves, for therapy."

"I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it," Maguire tells TIME, "who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

"Everything was so nice and fine and happy for us for the longest time," Maines says of their pre-incident days. "It was awesome to feel those feelings again that I felt in high school: to be angry, to be sure that you're right and that the things you do matter. You don't realize that you're not feeling those feelings until you do. And then you realize how much more interesting life is."

"Their old audience feels a little betrayed, a little left behind maybe," says Country Music Television's executive vice president Brian Philips. That may explain why, as the Chicks and country began their breakup, country fans ran into the arms of brilliant redneck instigator Toby Keith, who displayed a doctored photo of Maines and Saddam Hussein at his concerts.

"You could tell this thing had strengthened them personally but shaken them artistically," says producer Rick Rubin. "What turned me on, though, was that even though people were divided over what they said, people cared what they said, and that's a very strong position for an artist to be in. For the first time the girls, these cute little girls, had a platform."

Tim McGraw, one of the few vocal Democrats in country, and the only major artist who would speak on the record about the Dixie Chicks, says, "You've got to remember this is a family skirmish, and it's possible there's more than one thing going on."

Is it because they are on the road for a comeback;)

Ellie

ggyoung
05-22-06, 01:38 PM
Yhis is no better than Jane Commie Fonda trying to apologieing to all of the Vietnam Vets. BS BS BS BS BS

jennifer
05-22-06, 02:00 PM
Wow!!! What a bizzznitch they are... :devious:

lnwolf40
05-22-06, 02:52 PM
What a sad state of affairs, remember the old adage to think before you speak seems to fit in here. I myself am not into country music but for people who are well known to speak badly of the Commander in Chief and to give a false apology with a follow up that He is not owed any respect whatsoever seems a bit childish. It is quite possible with statements such as those that maybe they should not be able to claim to be citizens of the United States.
Again another famous person who believes that they must force their personal opinions upon others and to their good fortune they live in a country
where they will not be punished or executed for their statements. Try living in a foreign country for a period of time and make those statements against the leaders to see how far it will take you.

hrscowboy
05-22-06, 02:54 PM
These broads just dont learn, When they pulled off this crap the last time they lost millions because of her mouth and now they have a new recording coming out and going to lose millions again.. I say deport her arse to another country if she dont like whats going on... I will never listen to their music and will never buy there CDs...

Dskrdlant
05-22-06, 03:05 PM
I will have to agree with the Dixie Chicks, they are stating their opinion. This country is going to hell in a hand basket. Pres. lied to american people, getting thousands killed in "his" war, letting the gov. official in top gov. jobs give themselves big raises while those that pay their wages are going broke. Now we have him giving illegal immigrants free passes to live and work and destroy our counrty with all the welfare and help they give to illegals. I wanted to finish my Masters degree, can't do to the lack of money. I"m a Vet from the Nam era.

sgt.lane
05-22-06, 04:15 PM
Freak Chic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jennifer
05-22-06, 07:13 PM
Like I said before... Stupid *****es!! If you're gonna say something like that then have the common sense to not say that sh!t in public, C'mon on now. Like Tom said, they are going to be losing because of it. I'm sure they have fans whom have deep respect for the President. UGH!!! :devious:

troop901
05-22-06, 08:05 PM
That little **** fer what she is, a lyin lil *****. I only said I was sorry then cause I thought it would bring my millions of dollars lost back. But now, with his polls sinkin, I will retract what I retracted before. Give me a freakin break. :sick: Love him or hate him, Bush IS our PRESIDENT, get over it all ready.

FistFu68
05-22-06, 08:14 PM
:evilgrin: WHY DON'T YOU BUY ANOTHER ALBUM OF THEIR'S,AND THEN YOU AND THE FRIGGIN HOSE BAG'S,CAN PARTY IN HELL TOGETHER. :evilgrin: :thumbdown

RLeon
05-23-06, 02:59 AM
I read th article over and ovr again and it doesn't seem to me that she is apologyzing
"I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President. But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever,"

GunnyL
05-23-06, 07:48 AM
I can assure miss maines that she'll most definitely never see a single penny of my money. They can find all the "Cool, Liberal, Left Wing whack jobs out there to be their new fans".

GunnyL

junker316
05-23-06, 08:15 AM
As Marines we fight and die for these women to speak freely. Thier opinions are just that ...thier's. To me, all they have done is jump from one band wagon to the other to fill thier pockets. All of us have our opinions and we discuss them here on Leatherneck openly. Some get heated and others fade away. ALl they said was that they don't respect the President not that they didn't respect our military fighting forces. There is a huge difference. I still don't like the Dixie Chicks though. They flow in the direction the winds blow.

jgorosco
05-23-06, 08:33 AM
People can have thier opinion's all they want. But when you go into a Foreign country and start bad mouthing the U.S. President, then it is a different story. If you have problems with any U.S. policies or Our President then keep it in house. We already have the whole world out to get us. We don't need celebraties of all people, adding fuel to the fire. In my mind kinda reminds me of treason in a way.

My 2 cents

FistFu68
05-23-06, 01:20 PM
:evilgrin: HIS WAR??? DID YOU FORGET 911? NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK,OF THE PRESIDENT.WHEN WE HAVE OUR MEN AND WOMEN FIGHTING AND DYING,YOU DON'T PUT HIS **** IN THE STREET!WE ARE ALL IN THIS HOLY WAR TOGETHER,OR MOST OF US,ANYWAY!DON'T LIKE IT, GET THE **** OUT,AND JOIN THE TALIBAN!SO SOME YOUNG MARINE CAN SAVIOR,THE FELLING,OF PUTTING A BULLET IN YOUR DEAD ASS! :evilgrin:

ROHO
05-23-06, 03:13 PM
Maines Fonda F***ing traitor B****, may a thousand hungry flees infest your armpits, and your nasty stinky p****.

Dual Fool
05-23-06, 09:35 PM
I will try to remain calm and respect my elder. But you are full of sh!t!!!!!
This is not President Bush's war. He did not start it. He has however remained vigulent as he said he would. The liberal media would have you beleive that he and the rest of the conservative govering base lied to you and that middle America is stupid to not follow the Michael Moores and George Clooneys of the world. Step down off you high horse, pull your head out of the horses arse and get freaking real! Anyone who goes to a foriegn country and spouts off about MY President is a seditious moron and you are too for sticking up for em. Roll Tide, Semper Fi and Amen Dual Fool OUT!

BigPhil
05-23-06, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with Dual Fool, He said the hole truth.

fontman
05-24-06, 07:37 AM
Just So You Know, I Am Ashamed of the Wasted Energy on the Dixie Chicks
May 23, 2006
Sushi Kiddush

When you hear of the Dixie Chicks these days, you don't think about their once soothing country music that soared up the charts and sold millions of albums. Since 2003, when they made anti-Bush remarks at a concert in London -"Just so you know, we are ashamed the President is from Texas"- there has been a partisan war where conservatives have called them "unpatriotic" and democrats have flown the banner of free-speech.

The country music community which is historically very conservative has forged a negative campaign to punish the Dixie Chicks by radio boycotts and discouraging consumers from buying there music. From the fringe, the Dixie Chicks have also received hate-mail and death threats.

The negative publicity was so damaging that Natalie Maines, the one who made the "unpatriotic" remark, made a formal apology to President Bush for "disrespecting" the office of the President.

Now the Dixie Chicks are back with a new album, "Taking the Long Way," and plenty of anger. This album is their response to the incident. The New York Times reports:

The Incident is very much at the center of "Taking the Long Way." The album could have been "way safe and scared," Ms. Maines said. "We could have pandered." They didn't. The new songs are filled with reactions, direct and oblique, to the Incident. There are no apologies.

The right-wing media has accused the Dixie Chicks of using the incident as a commercial tool to promote their new album. Probably. They knew going into pre-production for the new album that they have been disowned by the country music community. They also knew that in order to sell records they could not count on past support to promote this album. So, yes, there is a conscious effort to cater to certain market in order to optimize sales. So what! We all watch out for our livelihoods.

The real issue is whether what they are now saying about the incident is relevant or just the same old liberal anti-war cry. I have not heard the album, but from what they are saying it sounds like the same old anti-war cry. And because we are now in a political climate where it is easy to denounce the Bush administration, the intentions of the albums sound vengeful without being courageous. Now that they can safely jump on the bandwagon they have.

I am all for free-speech. We are fighting the War on Terror where democratic ideals are being defended against despotic radicals. The Dixie Chicks have every right to voice their opinions and the country music community has every right to respond the way it has. But, in the end, I find fault with the country music community for wasting energy on such a trivial remark. By acknowledging what these three chicks from Texas say matters, the country music community has argued with a fool. And when you argue with a fool you are a fool.

OLE SARG
05-24-06, 08:45 AM
I like to refer to the "dixie dicks" as the "three little ho's"!!!!!! What a waste of t's and a's. They are so far "Left" they can't walk upright!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Osotogary
05-24-06, 09:27 AM
What a waste of t's and a's.

That's hilarious, OLE SARGE. Question: If you were "three sheets to the wind" would you consider a roll in the hay with them? LOL

OLE SARG
05-24-06, 09:57 AM
HhhhhhMmmmmmm!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

junker316
05-24-06, 01:34 PM
What a waste of t's and a's.

That's hilarious, OLE SARGE. Question: If you were "three sheets to the wind" would you consider a roll in the hay with them? LOL

I don't know about Ole Sarg but you'd better make it six sheets for me. 1 sheet to cover each of them and 3 for me being stupid enough to tip toe through thier lillies. LOL.

thedrifter
05-25-06, 07:40 AM
Newsflash for the Dixie Chicks
By Jeffrey Lord
Published 5/24/2006 12:09:46 AM

It didn't start with Iraq. Or with George W. Bush.

The modern liberal paradigm of America's role in the world is not new. Whispered by Jimmy Carter, bellowed by Al Gore or parroted by John Edwards, vocalized by a young John Kerry or an old John Murtha, the notion that America is an imperial war power run amok alienating the world has a longer lineage. It is a paradigm born exactly sixty years ago this September in Madison Square Garden.

On that September 12th of 1946, the world was in turmoil. Winston Churchill had months earlier delivered a blistering assessment of the post-World War reality. With Harry Truman at his side Churchill warned that "an Iron Curtain has descended across the Continent." Stalin's Soviet Union was on the march. Soon, the Russians would have the atomic bomb.

Stepping to the podium in the Garden that September night was Secretary of Commerce Henry Wallace, Franklin Roosevelt's Vice President in FDR's third term. Uneasy about Wallace's left-wing pronouncements Democratic bosses convinced FDR to replace him with Truman in the 1944 election. With Roosevelt's death Truman was now president. The result of the Garden speech was explosive.

Looking back sixty years later, the core ideas now the ideological heart of the Democratic Party are right there in Wallace's speeches, the first of which was that night. Moral relativism? Wallace believed Soviet military control over Eastern Europe was no different than American influence in Latin America. The United Nations? Wallace wanted the UN to reign supreme in areas not under the control of Russia or the United States, giving the UN control over all nuclear weapons and all major military bases around the globe. Blame America First? Unless America listened to him Wallace predicted the United States would "sooner or later" become "the image of that which we have hated in the Nazis."

Truman fired Wallace. In his diary, an incredulous Truman wrote that Wallace "is a pacifist 100 percent. He wants us to disband our armed forces, give Russia our atomic secrets and trust a bunch of adventurers in the Kremlin.... I do not understand a 'dreamer' like that." Wallace and his followers, the intellectual ancestors of today's Angry Left, were "becoming a national danger."

The battle between the Truman and Wallace worldviews began. The Truman Doctrine of sending military aid to nations fighting Communism? Wallace opposed. The creation of NATO? In the words of his biographer, Wallace thought NATO "a harbinger of fascism." The Marshall Plan? Wallace saw war with the Soviets. The Berlin Airlift? Wallace saw fascism. And Churchill's Iron Curtain speech? "Warlike."

Truman's paradigm prevailed. The Wallace paradigm of the world seemingly disappeared. But a young delegate to the Progressive Party convention that nominated Wallace in his losing 1948 presidential bid against Truman had other ideas. His name was George McGovern. Decades later McGovern brought Wallace's paradigm back to life as the 1972 Democratic presidential nominee. He wrote of his disdain for Truman. "Harry Truman is being elevated retroactively as a great President, whereas Henry Wallace is largely forgotten. But I believed in the late forties and I believe now that...the peace of the world would have been better served by the hopeful and compassionate views of Wallace than the 'Get Tough' policy of the Truman Administration."

Today the results of the Wallace/McGovern paradigm are dramatic images of repeated failure. Desperate Vietnamese clinging to the last American helicopter leaving Vietnam. Piles of skulls from Cambodian genocide. Soviet troops rolling into Kabul. Charred Marine corpses littering the Iranian desert. In the 1990s (thanks to the Clinton administration's adherence to the Wallace/McGovern paradigm it is becoming known as The Lost Decade) the images captured: the body of an American soldier being dragged through Mogadishu, terrified civilians fleeing a first attack on the World Trade Center, bombed U.S. embassies, slaughtered sailors on the USS Cole. Then, the most devastating images of the Wallace/McGovern paradigm: 9/11.

No, this liberal paradigm didn't start with Iraq or President Bush. But I bet this is news to its latest -- if predictable -- champions: the Dixie Chicks.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-25-06, 01:28 PM
Sent to me by hubby.....fontman

Ellie

The Dixie Chicks Start Eating Their Own
May 25, 2006
Doug Powers

"So, if you're gonna say goodbye, don't take all day and night. Let'er
rip, let it fly." - From "Let 'er Rip," sung by the Dixie Chicks

It looks like the hosts of "The View" are taking them up on the above
lyrics, and now the Chicks are focusing on other things … like borrowing
the "jaws of life" from the local fire
department to assist in removing their feet from their mouths, and this
time it has nothing to do with George W. Bush.

When the left starts eating their own like some bleach-blonde Donner
Party is when it gets fun. It's good to know that the Chicks have now
rotated, volleyball team style, to take
turns in offending people. This time, though, they've ticked off some
long-time supporters.

From the NY Post:

Dixie Chick Emily Robison has apologized to the women of "The View" for
dissing them in Time magazine.

"View" co-host Meredith Vieira read Robison's mea culpa at the top of
yesterday's show.

"I wanted to write you directly to apologize for my comment in Time
magazine. I attempted to explain how much we respect maverick artists like
Bruce Springsteen," Robison
wrote. "My intention was not to insult 'The View,' and at the time, I
was truly just pulling a name out of the air."

What prompted Robison to start to do so much waffling that she was
offered a job by the Eggo people?

Robison was quoted in Time's Dixie Chicks cover story as saying the
group takes its politics very seriously - and how it asks itself, "What
would Bruce Springsteen do?"

"Not that we're of that caliber, but would Bruce Springsteen do 'The
View'? " Robison said.

The comment infuriated the show's co-hosts, since "The View" gave The
Dixie Chicks their big break in 1998. On Tuesday's show, Joy Behar tore
the Time magazine article to
shreds.

It's fun to watch three women demonstrate that, yes, the "curtains
match the carpet," but only in the sense that neither end contains brains.

I read a comment on a news forum that described the Dixie Chicks as a
"rolling wreck". This is becoming obvious. Once somebody sets off down
the trail of controversy, some
tend to take swings at whatever comes along, and many times, those can
include their supporters. Well, former supporters. This is often the
downfall for those who like to stir the
****storm with their heads. Over time, it soaks in through the ears.

Will the Dixie Chicks be invited to appear on The View again? You bet.
Controversy loves company, not to mention the ratings it garners.

Range Coach
05-25-06, 02:52 PM
One simple little lesson that they should learn---when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. Stupid Dixie Pigs!