PDA

View Full Version : Respect flag, vets on Memorial Day

thedrifter
05-22-06, 09:04 AM
Respect flag, vets on Memorial Day
Medina-Gazette

To the Editor:

Memorial Day is coming up in a few weeks. I think it would be good to inform folks about proper respect for our country and flag.

Some really don't know and some just don't care. When they played the national anthem at a baseball game a few years ago and Roseanne grabbed her crotch, she should have been put in jail. But people just sat back and laughed. Really funny, huh? It is disgusting.

There have been many men and women who have given their lives for our freedom. Some of my uncles died in different wars. Yes, I miss them. Some I didn't even know, but I have respect and thankfulness in my heart for them for being willing to serve our wonderful country.

I love Memorial Day. It is a day that we can set aside to thank and pray for the servicemen and veterans for serving our country. When our national anthem is being played by instrument or sang by an individual, it is proper respect to stand, remove hats and place your hand over your heart. The servicemen are to stand and salute our flag. People have given their lives for our country; let's not dishonor them. Give them the proper respect they deserve.

We just buried my brother-in-law May 15. He served as a Marine along with my brother for several years. Although they were not in war, they were willing to serve our country.

I want to commend the Marines in Middleburg Heights who gave honor and respect at the burial of Terrence W. Atkins Sr. They presented his wife with a flag, saluted and honored him with Taps played in the background. Have respect for our country and our service men and women.

Dianna L. Rohrbaugh

West Salem

Ellie