PDA

View Full Version : Commandant, Depot pay tribute to Gen. Barrow at dedication

thedrifter
12-17-02, 02:37 PM
MCRD PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. -- The Depot honored Gen. Robert H. Barrow (Ret.) in a dedication ceremony renaming the Depot Headquarters Building, Barrow Hall, Dec. 13.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James L. Jones, and Brig. Gen. Joseph J. McMenamin, commanding general of the Depot and the Eastern Recruiting Region, were on hand to help pay tribute to the highly decorated war veteran, who finished his career as the Corps' 27th Commandant.

The Depot had been lobbying to dedicate the building to Gen. Barrow after such a noteworthy Marine Corps career and all his important contributions to shaping the Corps as it is known today. The dedication was well received Depot- and Corps-wide.

General Barrow's legacy was something that the Corps and the Depot felt needed a significant recognition in a slightly different format than usual. General Barrow was moved by the event and pleased to be the first Marine to receive this kind of honor during his living years.

"I feel very sentimental today," said Gen. Barrow. "Normally, they dedicate buildings to people after they've died. Doing [this] while I'm still alive enables my family to be here to enjoy it. That's the genesis of this whole thing. It's the first one that's been done that way, that I know of."

General Jones felt the ceremony was the least the Corps could do for a Marine of such stature. The mark that Gen. Barrow left on his peers and the nation was, to say the least, awe-inspiring, according to Gen. Jones.

"Well, it's difficult to sum up into words," he said. "But in the words of Tom Brokaw, the best way to sum it up is that he was known as the quintessential example of someone who participated in three wars and probably exemplified the most dynamic transformation in the history of the armed forces in the United States."

The building itself, Building 154, was erected in 1942 during the time when the Depot was expanding to facilitate the increased numbers of personnel and recruits caused by the outbreak of World War II. It was originally built as an administrative office building for the Depot and has not wavered from that function to this day. It retains its original design, setting, materials and workmanship.

Gen. Barrow, in turn, also began his career in the Marine Corps at the war's outbreak and served 41 years in the service, the last four years as the 27th Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1979-1983. He was the first Marine commandant to serve as a full-fledged member on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He was also instrumental in transforming the Marine Corps to an all-voluntary force. A step that most feel was of the utmost importance concerning the Corps' future.

"General Barrow and his predecessor, Gen. [Louis] Wilson, had the foresight to come to the conclusion that, under their watch, it didn't matter how many Marines we had," said Gen. Jones. "They were going to be good Marines. They gave us, the under officers, the opportunity to rid the ranks of people who should never have been in the Marine Corps to start with. I've said this somewhat jokingly in the past, but until they did that, I wasn't sure if I was in the Marine Corps or the Foreign Legion, to be perfectly honest. General Barrow had the vision, the courage and the leadership to force a higher level of standard."

General Barrow became an enlisted drill instructor after leaving Louisiana State University shortly after Pearl Harbor. He went to Quantico as an officer candidate in 1943 and received his commission as a lieutenant, ranking in the top five in his class of 236. His seven tours in the Pacific and Far East include combat in three wars: World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.

General Barrow served 12 years in command positions as a general officer, including commanding general of the Depot from 1972-1975.

"Parris Island is a moving experience," said Gen. Barrow. "The transition that the young adults go through here is just phenomenal. There's no other experience like it. There's just something magic about Parris Island."

Though Gen. Barrow received his recruit training at MCRD San Diego, his time commanding at Parris Island has allowed him to acknowledge it as his home, as well.

"Since I went to San Diego, to Parris Island Marines, I'd be known as a 'Hollywood Marine'," he said. "But now, I think I'm worthy enough to be able to be known as a Parris Island Marine," he said with a chuckle.

General Barrow recalled some of his fond memories of the Depot while thanking and acknowledging all the honored guests who were present at the dedication, including Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. Alford L. McMichael; Gen. Alfred M. Gray, Jr., the Corps' 29th Commandant; Gen. Carl E. Mundy, Jr., the 30th Commandant; and Lt. Gen. Michael W. Hagee, set to be 33rd Commandant.

Along with attending LSU, Gen. Barrow holds honorary doctorates from Tulane University, where he attended graduate school, and the Citadel. His personal decorations, besides the Navy Cross, include the Army Distinguished Service Cross, the Defense Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, the Silver Star Medal, three Legions of Merit and two Bronze Stars with Combat 'V'.

In retirement, Gen. Barrow has served as a member of the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board and as a member of the President's Blue Ribbon Commission on Defense Management (the Packard Commission).

He is a member of the Board of Trustees, Center for Naval Analysis and a member of the Board of Visitors, National Defense University. He served as a member of the Board of Visitors, Naval War College and Board of Visitors, George Mason University. He is currently a member of the Advisory Committee at The Citadel.

Sempers,

Roger