PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda Honors Top Marine

thedrifter
05-18-06, 06:22 PM
May 18, 2006
Bethesda Honors Top Marine

by JO3 Matt Bullock
Journal staff writer

The National Naval Medical Center awarded Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee the C.W. Bill and Beverly Young Distinguished Humanitarian Award Tuesday.

Bethesda honored Hagee for the countless hours he has spent visiting injured service members. Marines in the hospital's Marine Corps Liaison Office said Hagee develops relationships with the patients. Hagee doesn't just listen to the Marines' stories, he recognizes needs and gathers ideas to help each patient make a full recovery, they said.

Marine Sgt. Dwight Mitchell, who works in Bethesda's Marine Corps Liaison Office, said Hagee visits the troops about once a week and many Marines tell him that Hagee genuinely cares about them.

"Being in the fleet, you hardly ever see a general," Mitchell said. "Most of the Marines laying in a bed [on Bethesda's surgical ward] expect to see their family or hospital staff. So they're really surprised when they see the commandant of the Marine Corps. It's a big deal to Marines."

Marine Pvt. Matthew Davis, an injured Marine on Bethesda's surgical ward, said Hagee awarded his Purple Heart Tuesday and that seeing the General was like meeting a living legend.

"It was awesome," Davis said. "Most Marines don't get to see him in their entire career. We learn about him in boot camp and see pictures of him in the chow hall. I never thought I would ever meet him. I'll remember this for the rest of my life."

The award presentation caught the attention of Navy Secretary Donald Winter, Bethesda leaders, recovering Marines, and many of the hospital's Sailors to Laurel Clark Memorial Auditorium.

"[Young award recipients] are not fair-weather friends," said National Naval Medical Center Commander RDML Adam Robinson, Jr. "They are there through the good times and bad, happy times and sad, and they honestly care for and about the people that they serve. They are patriots. They define loyalty, devotion and duty. This is the inspiration behind the establishment of the [Young Award]."

Winter said Hagee personifies the award; he is a strong warrior and a great humanitarian.

"He exemplifies everything you could hope for in a Marine general," Winter said. "He clearly worries, cares about and does all he can to help [Marines], especially in a time of need."

Congressman C.W. Bill Young and his wife Beverly lauded the general's commitment to the injured service members. Young said Hagee's accomplishments are noteworthy, but so, too, are the countless staff members' efforts working at Bethesda.

"[Hagee] is an excellent choice for this award," Young said. "But you can pick any doctor, nurse or corpsman in this hospital and give them the same award."

Bethesda has treated more than 2,000 injured service members since the Global War on Terrorism began, most of whom are Marines and Navy corpsmen.

Ellie