PDA

View Full Version : Getting combat badge took a lot even after war

thedrifter
05-18-06, 06:52 AM
Getting combat badge took a lot even after war
RAY MCALLISTER
TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST
Thursday, May 18, 2006

Jim Adkins has just received the Army's Combat Infantryman Badge.

That's somewhat unusual, given that the man is 77.

On the other hand, he did earn the award 55 years ago.

Adkins' story of finally getting the medal he earned in the Korean War is one of perseverance and luck.

"I gave up several times," he said yesterday, seated at a dining room table in his western Henrico County home. "I just figured that was that."

But if there's one thing a combat veteran can do, it's fight.

Adkins earned his badge -- the first time, anyway -- during the infamous battle at North Korea's Chosin Reservoir in November and December 1950.

Marines and Army soldiers, along with South Korean soldiers, were surrounded and outnumbered by Chinese. More than 2,500 Americans were killed, including the commander and replacement commander of Adkins' 31st Regiment of the 7th Infantry Division.

Many more were wounded or taken out by the below-zero weather.

"Man, was it cold," Adkins said. Soldiers couldn't dig foxholes, the ground was so hard. Frostbite claimed many. "I had a friend who lost both feet and both hands."

Adkins was not wounded. The Chinese did fire on his convoy and even on his camp.

"They started shooting through the tents. . . . The guy right next to me, he was touching me, he got hit. I don't know if he lived or not."

After the war, Adkins moved to Richmond, where his sister lived. Adkins and his wife of 54 years, Betty, have been here ever since. Adkins retired from the food business in 1994.

Through veterans groups, he found he was due eight medals. The office of Rep. Thomas J. Bliley Jr. helped get some a decade ago. Sen. Charles S. Robb's office helped get others about five years ago.

But neither could get him the Combat Infantryman Badge. Adkins himself tried. He was told the records had burned. He quit trying.

Then Adkins read about a Danville man who had gotten the Purple Heart with the help of an old newspaper article.

Adkins had the front page of The Pikeville (W.Va.) Daily News of Feb. 19, 1951: "Local GI Decorated for Combat in Korea." The article mentioned Adkins' combat badge award.

He had shown the article before. But now Adkins had renewed enthusiasm. He got the office of Rep. Eric I. Cantor to ask the Army to investigate. Back came a letter saying a record did still exist. Adkins got his medal May 4.

"It ranks No. 1 because what you have to do to get it," he said yesterday. "You've got to be a 'dogface' to get it."

And you've got to be dogged, too.

Contact staff writer Ray McAllister at rmcallister@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6333.

Ellie