PDA

View Full Version : Civilians catching the fever

DobbinsBlythe
05-17-06, 12:19 PM
I noticed while my fiancee, David, was at Boot Camp, a lot of people said a lot of negative things about joining the military, much more negative things about the Marine Corps. It's weird how all of the sudden, you find yourself defending those very things you were scared of in the beginning. When David first decided to join, I was scared to death. I knew that I'd support him and encourage him and be dedicated to him through hell if I had to, but I didn't like the idea of him enlisting. The more I thought about it, the more proud I became of him. Now that he's back in town, the same people the criticized his decisions are now fascinated by what he went through at Boot, what he learned, how he acts, and it's almost a nostalgic or magical feeling you get when hearing about everything he went through, no matter how gory. Its the same feeling you get when you hear a classroom full of children stating the Pledge of Allegiance at the top of their little lungs with all their little hearts! The same feeling you get when you see everyone stop on the side of the road to watch a funeral pass, the same feeling you get when you realize WHY you're holding your hand over your heart watching the flag during the National Anthem. Everything about him radiates something of a higher influence that's not just you and me or the Corps. It's something that makes you want to be better, to do better, and to GO GET R DUN! His presence is a motivator for everyone that encounters him.

My roommate's boyfriend, Raheem, always told me and Christina (the roommate) that he could never do anything like join the military. He's been asking questions to David, and when David's not there, to me about everything Marine-related. It just changes your perspective on a lot of things actually knowing an active-duty Marine.

Another thing that I noticed, my apartment is decorated in a simplistic contempo-Asian motiff, and a lot of things went from reds and browns to GREEN in the last month and a half. My bedspread and new curtains almost go along with his uniform. It's a subconscious thing that's infiltrating my life and every part of my being. A lot of other people are catching on, too. It's great when you can turn something that everyone begins feeling negative about into something that makes everyone that knows you proud. I've noticed the changes in attitude in everyone that I've seen interact with David, including myself. It's all for the better. It'd better stay that way, too, or I'm going to RAISE hell. ;)

I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this sudden increase in morale towards our armed forces, namely Marines, or if it's something that happens across neighborhoods and friends and family networks of people newly out of boot camp EVERY time.

Just an idea or question, whatever you want to regard it as.

Much Love & God Bless!!!

Camper51
05-17-06, 12:29 PM
It happened to me. When I came home from boot camp ( which I was told , by the way, I would NEVER, EVER make it through) my friends stood in awe and asked many questions. I could tell they were jealous and I was only more than willing to help them on their way ( hee hee hee, shame on me.....NOT) The changes and Pride are evident in every person who earns the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Always has been and always will be

Good luck, God Speed and

DobbinsBlythe
05-17-06, 01:35 PM
I was referring mostly to the changes in the people AROUND the new Marine, rather than the Marine himself.

Shadowman777
05-19-06, 11:03 PM
Given where you are from, I just think you are more aware of any negativity now.

It's like buying a new car. You never notice how many of your model are on the road until you own one. Then you see your car freaking EVERYWHERE! I think you are just more sensitive to noticing the negatively now (because you own a Marine) - whereas before it never really registered.

Just my thoughts -

yellowwing
05-19-06, 11:16 PM
Leadership. Its something that's deep within us. After Boot Camp it is freely unharnessed. The ability to motivate others in a positive way. It can be by direct action or just by example and personal bearing.

Its something that your Marine will now have for the rest of his life! :)