PDA

View Full Version : HELP MEPS Info

Mike McIntyre
05-16-06, 04:14 PM
My son was scheduled to ship to Parris in June. He broke his leg (Femur) and has a rod. I have been told evrything under the sun. Though I was not a Marine:( my father was. My dad was in the Presidents Guard in 1941 (FDR), won the Golden Gloves (Key West 1942), and served in the S. Pacific.:evilgrin:

My son is almost as Gung Ho as his Grand Dad. He will be crushed if he does not get in. He was on his JROTC Drill Team and loved it. This is his life.

I have one Question, "Does he have a chance of getting a waiver?"

thedrifter
05-17-06, 10:57 AM
I would advise to talk to the recruiter....

Ellie

GySgtRet
05-17-06, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear about this leg breaking. How long ago did it happen? What is the prognosis? How is your son's atitude now? If you can get the orthopedic doctor to write up his prognosis this would...

Mike McIntyre
05-17-06, 11:41 AM
We have but cannot get a straight answer.
His civy DR said that he will be good to go.
Some recruiters say, "Ain't no way!!!"
Others say, "We get them in all the time."

Mike McIntyre
05-17-06, 11:49 AM
Scheduled for the Island - June 6th 2006
Injured - Jan 28th 2006
Bone Fully Healed May 2006
Civy DR to release - June12 - "Suited for Military Duty"
Graduated H.S. - May 2006
Completed initial MEPS - July 2005
Gung Ho - June 2005 until!!!!!!!!!

GySgtRet
05-17-06, 11:49 AM
This is the answer that I thought that you would come back with. Since he is still your son you have a right to know how well he is doing. I would insist on what the out come is. The mixed answers are very typical to recruiting. Different MEPS doctors etc,...

jennifer
05-17-06, 09:51 PM
Sorry to heat about your son. That sucks seeing as to that he was leaving soon. Hope he still gets to join us. :D

Mike McIntyre
05-18-06, 07:19 AM
What was real bad is that he was in a car wreck going to a Sat. Polee work-out.

The boy is die-hard

jennifer
05-18-06, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry. I'll keep him in my prayers.

GunnyL
05-19-06, 06:39 AM
Although I am sure that your Son's civilian Doctor is well intentioned, he is not qualified to make the determination that your Son meets the standards set by the Department of Defense and the United States Marine Corps for Active Duty. You need to submit all of the Medical Records regarding all changes in your son's health to the MEPS Doctor for review. He will make the determination if your son is still qualified to go to Recruit Training. If the MEPS Doctor determines that your son is disqualified based on the extent of his injuries, the Recruiting Station CO and Ops O will automatically make the call as to whether they think he meets the criteria for a Navy Bureau of Medicine (BUMED) waiver and will submit the proper paperwork to BUMED. If BUMED determines your son is qualified to start Recruit Training, then they will issue a waiver and that will override the MEPS Doctors determination. It is a timely process and doesn't happen overnight.
Hope this helps and best of Luck to your son no matter what he does in life.

GunnyL

Mike McIntyre
05-23-06, 02:58 PM
What is the time frame? Weeks, Months, a Year?

GunnyL
05-23-06, 03:08 PM
There is no guaranteed timeframe but it will typically take 45 - 90 days to get an answer as of when I was on Active Duty but that could very well have changed.

Best of Luck

GunnyL
:usmc:

Mike McIntyre
05-23-06, 03:16 PM
Should he be submitted as soon as the Civ. DR gives him the OK? That would give him another month or so to get ready if BUMED gives the OK.

GySgtRet
05-23-06, 04:12 PM
As soon as possible is always the way to go. Just make sure that the package that you send id complete, this will help the MEPS, and BUMED make their descision. However, as GunnyL has pointed out there is no set timeframe unfortunately. They (BUMED) may be reviewing for broken bones today, then reviewing asthma cases the next day or the same day? How is the driving case going so far? Has that occured yet?

Mike McIntyre
05-23-06, 04:50 PM
The car wreck case will be 6-12-06 <br />
My lawyer feels that it should not be a problem. In fact, the Parish and the other driver (No working taillights on a trailer) are liable. <br />
He should be good to...

ChiefUSMC
05-23-06, 06:05 PM
Hello just to give you a heads up you emailed me earlier concerning your son. I am currently a Career Recruiter out of Wichita Kansas. Just to give you a heads up the hardware that your son has, might and might not be a disqualifier. If you have any questions that you have not got answered then you can call me at 316-943-8132 that is my office number I can explain it alot better then trying to type it. Plus I don't get on the forums very often. Retained hardware is not a perminent disqualifier I just put a young man in that had a screw in his elbow. He just went through a ortho consult down at meps. I have seen alot of waivers get approved in five years its just a little more work on our part and the recruits.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt James Rowley
Career Recruiter

:usmc: :thumbup: