PDA

View Full Version : Two marines hitch a ride on Santa's sleigh

thedrifter
12-16-02, 01:47 PM
MCAGCC, Twentynine Palms, Calif. --
Two Combat Center Marines received tickets for a special ride home on Santa's American Airlines sleigh Tuesday.

Pfc. Christopher Smith, infantryman, C Company, 3/7, and Lance Cpl. Adam Glielmi, crewman, D Company, 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, were given round-trip, first-class tickets from Palm Springs to anywhere in the continental United States with American Airlines as a part of Marine Corps Community Services' Operation "Santa's Sleigh."

"The Kraft/Nabisco Championship and American Airlines gave Marine Corps Community Services the tickets in return for advertising aboard the base," said Beth Birchfield, sponsorship and special events coordinator, MCCS. "We pursued this because we felt it would be a great opportunity to get Marines home who otherwise would not be able to see their families for Christmas."

Birchfield said MCCS tapped its Single Marine Program to find worthy recipients of the free ride home. She, along with the SMP director, Deanna Simpson, went to each battalion's sergeant major to get nominations based on leadership ability, military character, volunteerism, award and recognition, and extenuating circumstances.

"All of our nominees were outstanding Marines," said Birchfield. "This is MCCS's way of thanking the dedicated Marines that work endless hours all day long. The tickets definitely went to people who truly deserved them."

After receiving all the nominations, Sgt. Maj. Steven Clarke, Combat Center Sergeant Major, chose the two Marines who excelled both on and off the job.

"I based it on a combination of good performance as Marines, commitment to values off-duty, community support and just a touch of humanitarian need as well," said Clarke.

Clarke added that both Smith and Glielmi demonstrated outstanding military character and a special need to get home to their families. Smith distinguished himself as a member of 3/7's Super Squad. He chose to use his ticket to visit his mom in Cambridge, Mass., before his battalion deploys in February.

"My mom is sick, and I'd really like to see her before I go on deployment," said Smith. "The Marine Corps has always been good to me, but it means a lot that they're now getting me home when I need it."

According to Clarke, Glielmi has also proven himself to be a dedicated Marine as the assistant training NCO. He is flying to Nashville, Tenn., to be with his family of six for Christmas. He hasn't seen them in more than 10 months-the longest time he's been away from home.

"It's really important to my mom for me to get home, and if it's important to her, it's important to me," said Glielmi. "My family is everything to me."

Sempers,

Roger