PDA

View Full Version : Every month, Marines get a fresh delivery

thedrifter
05-17-06, 10:02 AM
Every month, Marines get a fresh delivery
By Triveni Sheshadri
UNION-TRIBUNE COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

May 17, 2006

FALLBROOK – On a recent afternoon, Jane Carpenter opened the trunk of her station wagon to reveal boxes of oranges, loaves of bread and brown paper bags filled with lemons, limes and avocados.

Soon Carpenter and her friend Bob Kuse would load this and other produce donations into Kuse's flatbed truck and make their way to Camp Pendleton.

“Sometimes it's a truck and sometimes it's a truck-and-a-half,” Kuse said.

For about six years, Carpenter and Kuse have connected the groves and backyard gardens of Fallbrook to the kitchens of Marine families. Their monthly delivery of avocados, tomatoes, tangerines, pomegranates, beans, limes and lemons is distributed through Military Outreach Ministries, an organization that supports military families in various ways.

The idea for a produce drive was a natural outgrowth of Fallbrook's abundance of produce, its proximity to Camp Pendleton and the needs of Marine families, Carpenter said. She doesn't see the recipients often, but she has heard about their reaction to the fresh fruit and vegetables from their neighbors in Fallbrook.

“They are young families and money is tight. They are very grateful,” Carpenter said. “They are thrilled with the variety. Many are from other parts of the country and have never seen a persimmon or a guava.”

Fallbrook residents, businesses and community groups have supported Carpenter's effort over the years.

When donations peak in spring and summer, David Ashton pitches in with his truck. Ray Rivera, volunteer at Fallbrook Senior Center's food pantry, sets aside produce collected by the center's Senior Pickers. Major Market donates bread and produce to the drive. The Fallbrook Church of Religious Science is a dropoff point for donations.

A Fallbrook resident for about 14 years, Carpenter is active in the Fallbrook Garden Club and volunteers at Live Oak Park where she helps with the maintainance of the botanical garden and leads tours for schoolchildren in the spring. She said reaching out to others was instilled in her by her father's example.

“He was always taking in people when they couldn't find jobs. We always had extra people at home for dinner,” Carpenter said. “It makes me feel good when I give back.”

Soon after she began the produce drive, Carpenter enlisted the help of Kuse, a fellow member of the Fallbrook Garden Club.

“I have a strong back and an 8-foot pickup. It's a pleasure,” Kuse said.

He not only brings his truck but also fruit from his garden with six citrus trees. He said he could empathize with the needs of military families because of his stint in the Army.

“You got to feel for them. I get a sense of inner joy when I do this,” Kuse said.