PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep up with the Marines:

thedrifter
05-16-06, 05:17 AM
Trying to keep up with the Marines: They do so much I’m not worthy to run a mile in their shoes
May 16,2006
KEN BUDAY
SUN JOURNAL STAFF

Walk a mile in their shoes? Try running a mile in their shoes — the shoes of Marines.

Many people talk about the perks of their jobs, and certainly journalism has a few. My perk last week was the chance to run a mile with Marines carrying the Special Olympics torch to the Craven County games at Grover C. Fields Middle School.

Now, just as some background, this group of 42 Marines ran 20 miles from Havelock to New Bern in shifts ranging from one to two miles in groups of four to six. Some of them decided to run a little longer, like Sgt. Maj. Christopher Robinson.

“We were getting quite a lot of attention, cat-calling, whistling and horn blowing,” Robinson said of the trek up U.S. 70. “I’m glad we brightened the commute up for some people.”

When I joined the group a mile from Grover C. Fields, Robinson was barking away a cadence I could not help but keep time with. He actually made the run for this 220-pound overweight writer rather comfortable.

I think the Marines from the Center of Naval Aviation Technical Training were taking it easy on me. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I do jog occasionally and felt confident in my ability to make a mile. I don’t know that I could make Havelock to New Bern.

As we entered the Grover C. Fields track, many applauded the Marines, and I felt entirely unworthy. These guys put their lives on the line for us and for freedom. I was just a guy looking to write a story on them and perhaps give readers some perspective.

I learned from my experience that I don’t think I could be a Marine. These guys stayed in step the whole time, turned at the same time. I’m sure they were all breathing at the same time and at the same level. I’m sure it’s trained into them. All I can say is: Good training.

Besides being our defenders, the Marines are an invaluable part of our community. Last week, they were running a torch for Special Olympics, and many stayed after their run to volunteer their time at the event.

In the past, Marines have helped out with food distribution for the poor. They’ve helped clear debris at a school walking trail. These guys aren’t just locked behind a gate. They take pride in the area, even if they’re here for just a three-year stint before being transferred to a new base.

Along those same lines, Cherry Point Marines will be part of the state Special Olympics torch run, which goes from Beaufort to Kinston on May 23 and 24.

The Special Olympics is a great cause, and the Marines as well as area law enforcement agencies participate in the state torch run every year, raising money as part of the effort.

So, if you’re headed down the highway and you see these guys running, give them a wave or a toot of the horn. I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.

I know they deserve it — and then some.

Ken Buday can be reached at 635-5670 or at kbuday@freedomenc.com.

Ellie