PDA

View Full Version : Kubasaki JROTC wins regional title again

thedrifter
12-16-02, 06:44 AM
By Mark Oliva, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Monday, December 16, 2002

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — The kids are at it again.

Kubasaki High School’s Marine Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets captured the Far East Regional championship last week, beating out 12 other schools for their fifth title in seven years. They also have a runner-up finish during that span.

“I kept telling them everyone’s gunning for Kubasaki,” said retired Marine Master Sgt. Larry McNair, the school’s Marine JROTC instructor. “Our kids knew there was a lot of pressure.”

And that came from everywhere.

Students prepared for the competition by practicing nearly every day after school and occasionally on weekends. Their centerpiece performance was a 600-count silent drill maneuver with rifles. They placed in nearly every event.

The victory was particularly sweet because the squad dedicated its efforts in the three-day competition to Juan Velasquez, a 2000 graduate of Kubasaki and former member of the school’s Marine JROTC program. He died earlier this year after a bout with cancer.

“I thought this was most important because it was for Juan,” said Christine Glover, a 17-year-old senior.

“We wanted to win it in memory of him, and we were able to do that. That makes winning this year even more special.”

Even with those noble ambitions, the cadets still struggled.

Most of last year’s drill team, which claimed national honors in Daytona Beach, Fla., graduated. The few who returned strove to maintain the team’s tradition.

“We had to do so much rebuilding this year,” said Nick Smith, a 16-year-old junior and cadet second lieutenant.

“We didn’t even have half of the team we had last year, and we did just as good.”

The team could have faltered during its silent drill performance when one cadet dropped her rifle. But instead of panicking, she promptly picked up her rifle, found her spot in the formation and continued without missing a beat.

“I do whatever I can to cause them to lose their bearing, and if they do, I’ve won,” McNair said. “If they don’t, then they’ve won. That cadet won after she picked up her rifle and continued to drill.”

Bad luck struck again during the land-navigation portion when Jessica Girard, a 15-year-old sophomore and cadet staff sergeant, tripped and injured her foot.

“My teammates helped me and carried me most of the way,” Girard said. “We finished as a team, and that’s what mattered.”

Melanie Silva, a 17-year-old senior and cadet major, said the awards dinner was nerve-racking.

McNair wouldn’t allow the students to watch any of the other schools perform, so they had no idea what sort of competition they were facing. Kubasaki also didn’t make the cut for the top three in regulation drill, casting worried glances among the cadets.

“I was really nervous,” Silva said. “I didn’t know how we were going to place.”

But not Kevin Wilson, a 17-year-old senior and cadet corporal.

“I shrugged it off,” he said. “I felt confident in our performance. Now that it’s over, all the stress is gone.”

Well, almost. Kubasaki still has a grueling practice schedule before the Guam Invitational in the spring.

“If we go to Guam and win, we can say that we’re the best in the Far East,” McNair said. “That would be a nice ending for my seniors in the drill team.”

McNair relishes the role of favorite and says his cadets readily accept the challenge of defending their lofty perch.

“We’re going to be beat someday,” he said.

“But when it happens, you’re going to see every school be very close in drill. I think our kids are sending a message. We’re not better; we’re just different. They’ve taken it to a different standard.”

http://www.estripes.com/photos/12107_121514824b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Henry Meyer
Christine Glover, 17, of Kubasaki High School’s JROTC, takes aim during the pistol marksmanship competition of the Far East Regionals.

http://www.estripes.com/photos/12107_1215141011b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Henry Meyer
JROTC drill teams form up for the dregulations drill performances during the Far East Regionals.

http://www.estripes.com/photos/12107_1215141129b.jpg

Mark Oliva / S&S
Retired Marine Master Sgt. Larry McNair, Marine Instructor for Kubasaki's JROTC, is mobbed by his cadets after they were awarded the top spot in the JRTOC Far East Regionals.

Sempers,

Roger