PDA

View Full Version : Base selection

17wannabe75
05-15-06, 08:04 PM
What are the odds of you actually getting stationed at the base you choose on you wish list, dreamsheet, or what ever you call it?

Range Coach
05-15-06, 08:48 PM
Like alot of other posts have said, the needs of the Corps ultimately determine where you go and what you do. I was "guaranteed" avionics and the West coast but went to Motor T and the East coast Hey, at least they were close--I got a maintenance field and was stationed on a coast! The MOS change was probably a good thing because there were more duty station options for me. Virtually everywhere there was a base, they had Jeeps. I can't say the same for jets.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-15-06, 11:22 PM
I don't know how much they even look at the "dream sheets". When i was getting out of MOS school there was one Marine from California that was sent to the east coast, and one from GA that had a gurantee to get east coast had orders to Camp Pen. Luckily, the instructors at the school decided to step in and help the young Marines, and their orders were switched. But, when it all comes down to it, you will find ways to love AND hate your duty station, no matter where it is.

Marine84
05-16-06, 08:52 AM
Sometimes it works out OK - I kinda sorta got what I asked for. I put east coast, west coast and overseas - I went to school in Memphis, missile school in Mayport, FL, El Toro in CA and Iwakuni then back to CA until I got out.

Doesn't really matter where you go, you'll find things to love about every duty station.

dscusmc
05-16-06, 09:55 AM
When I went through the enlisted intel course, they did it by class ranking. If there were 32 students in the class, then there was a stack of 32 sets of orders. The students got to pick their orders based on class-ranking. The top students got to pick first, obviously.

I like that system. I think it pays to be a winner and that certainly encourages competition. I'm not sure if they still do that, but that was one way that its been done in the past.

Seeley
05-17-06, 11:24 AM
Well non of the grunt bubbas I know got to "wish" anything except their MOS, and that went based on PFT, tests, and your ASVAB stuff.

Range Coach
05-17-06, 03:20 PM
I had a Gunny tell me once "There are only two good units in the Marine Corps. The one you just left and the one you will be going to." He also told me that "If a Marine ain't b1tchin' he ain't happy." He also told me that there was no Santa Claus----what the hell did he know?!

Old Marine
05-18-06, 08:05 AM
I had a Gunny tell me once "There are only two good units in the Marine Corps. The one you just left and the one you will be going to." He also told me that "If a Marine ain't b1tchin' he ain't happy." He also told me that there was no Santa Claus----what the hell did he know?!

Definition of a Gunny: One who knows all.:evilgrin:

Teg0
05-25-06, 12:13 AM
What are the odds of you actually getting stationed at the base you choose on you wish list, dreamsheet, or what ever you call it?

You wont get a choice of which base to go to.. Youll get a choice of W or E coast, or Overseas......And even then its not guaranteed.....I dont know if its like this in every MOS but in my MOS school the Honor Grad actually picked were to go....Im not sure if it was picking the actual base or just the coast....

Marine84
05-25-06, 08:23 AM
Range Coach - what? there ain't no Santa? Now I'm wondering who's been leaving all that stuff at my house every Christmas Eve!

Range Coach
05-25-06, 08:29 AM
It was me. I didn't know your size----hope everything fit!
;)

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-26-06, 04:40 PM
all you need to worry about at this stage in the game is earning your title. Doesnt matter where your stationed so long as you wear the uniform you earned. there are good things about different bases and bad things too. Worry about the immediate mission at hand...earning the title Marine.