PDA

View Full Version : Murtha speech gets cheers and jeers

thedrifter
05-14-06, 01:01 PM
Murtha speech gets cheers and jeers

By Richard Robbins
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 14, 2006

U.S. Rep. John P. Murtha -- one of the most vocal critics of President Bush's handling of the war in Iraq -- drew cheers and boos during his commencement speech at Seton Hill University on Saturday when he once again called for the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"We don't care. This isn't about graduation," Leonard Pierce, of North Huntingdon, the parent of a graduate, called out several times from the audience.

The catcalls prompted shouts from other audience members that Murtha should be allowed to speak. The back-and-forth was clearly audible inside the Katherine Mabis McKenna Center on the Greensburg campus. The small, liberal arts Catholic university is in the heart of Murtha's 12th Congressional District, which he has represented since 1974.

Murtha ignored the brief disruption. Later, he dismissed the heckling as of no great consequence.

One student, on his way to get his diploma, told the congressman that graduation was not the place to air the war issue, Murtha said.

"I told him, 'This is America, not Russia,' " Murtha said.

More than half of the 204 graduating seniors gave the Johnstown Democrat a standing ovation at the end of his remarks, in which he again called for a "redeployment" of U.S. troops out of Iraq.

Michele Ridge, chairwoman of the Seton Hill board of directors and the wife of former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, told the Class of 2006 this was a commencement they "would never forget."

The audience left the commencement divided over Murtha's speech. Pierce said Murtha was wrong to bring up the war, whether for or against, during commencement exercises.

"This was no place for that kind of talk," Pierce said.

Damian Zottoli, who identified himself as a former Pennsylvania National Guard company commander in Latrobe, said Pierce should have "just sat there and let (Murtha) tell the truth."

Murtha is a former Marine who served in Vietnam, earning a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. In his address, Murtha depicted himself as a lawmaker who works best away from the public spotlight. The administration's failure to utilize his advice, which was offered privately, forced him to bring his message public, he said.

"Claims of progress and victory," he said, have been contradicted "by the real conditions on the ground."

Murtha noted 356 U.S. servicemen have died since his first public criticism last November. Iraq has failed to restore prewar levels of oil production and still struggles with inadequate electrical power, Murtha said.

"I agree with him. It didn't bother me at all," said Kaleeda Jenkins, of Churchill, who graduated yesterday with a degree in political science. "I'm with him 110 percent."

Graduate Mike Whiteman, of North Huntingdon, disagreed. "I don't think it was appropriate. This is about graduation, not agenda-setting," Whiteman said.

Seton Hill University President JoAnne Boyle said she would welcome Murtha back to the campus anytime. "I think he stirred us," Boyle said.

Richard Robbins can be reached at rrobbins@tribweb.com or (724) 836-5660.

Ellie