PDA

View Full Version : Marine battalion, Bonsall school team up

thedrifter
05-14-06, 09:57 AM
Marine battalion, Bonsall school team up

By: LORELL FLEMING - Staff Writer

OCEANSIDE ---- Bonsall West Elementary School will strengthen its bond with a local Marine Corp. battalion, through a variety of events that will kick off Monday as part of Armed Forces Week, school officials said.

Since September, Marines from Camp Pendleton's Headquarters and Support Battalion have partnered with the campus through the school district's Adopt-a-School program.

The Marines volunteer for a variety of programs and tasks, such as reading to classes, painting at the school, tutoring, and mentoring to students.

According to Bonsall West Principal Tom Pellegrino, the partnership is a good match.

"For one thing, we have a lot of kids whose parents are in the military," Pellegrino said last week. "But regardless ... the Marines are great models for character traits, such as strong work ethic. Marines tend to be solid citizens who believe in democracy."

First Lt. Elizabeth Vasquez donates her time to tutor the elementary school students in math.

"I choose to spend my time volunteering for children because it's important to meto investin our society's future," Vasquez said Friday.

"I chose to tutormath because I've always enjoyed numbers and love the opportunity to spark a child's interest in learning," she added. "I've had many positive role models in my life and I would like to be a positive role modelfor today's children."

The school at 5050 El Mirlo Drive, is in Oceanside, but is part of the Bonsall Union School District.

The partnership will likely be even more evident next week, as Bonsall West hosts several events for Armed Services week, which starts Monday and runs through May 19.

Events include an assembly Monday featuring a salute to the school's adoptive battalion and a salute to Bonsall West parents who are in the military.

On Tuesday, the students will write letters to service men and women and on Wednesday will meet with authors who have written books about military life.

A videocast will be held Thursday, in which students will talk with a Marine deployed in the Middle East, officials said.

As a show of appreciation for its adoptive battalion's time and effort, Bonsall West is getting businesses to sponsor 20 Marines from the battalion to play for free in the school's inaugural golf tournament scheduled for June 9 at Arrowood Golf Course, 5201A Village Drive in Oceanside.

The cost to enter the tournament is $200 per player.

Like the other players, each of the 20 Marines will receive dinner and a gift bag. The event, a fundraiser for the school's technology, and its literacy, music and art programs, also includes a silent auction.

"We know our military works very hard. Few of them can actually afford to play in a tournament like this," Pellegrino said. "The dinner gives the community a chance to connect on a casual and recreational level with these Marines."

Christi Cryan, who heads the fundraising efforts of the Bonsall West Parent Teacher Association, said she thinks free participation in the tournament is a great way to thank the Marines.

"They've put in countless hours at the school, reading to students, helping with our character education program, whatever we ask of them. And they've always gone above and beyond what we've asked of them," Cryan said. "Here's a day for them to relax, have dinner, meet others in the community, and be reminded that they are appreciate for what they do at home as well as abroad."

Contact staff writer Lorell Fleming at (760) 731-5798 or lfleming@nctimes.com.

Ellie