PDA

View Full Version : 10 Presidents headed for Marines after graduation

thedrifter
05-13-06, 08:44 AM
Article published May 13, 2006
10 Presidents headed for Marines after graduation
By BRENDA J. DONEGAN
The Marion Star

MARION - With diplomas fresh in hand, nine Harding High School graduates are heading to boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. for a stint in the United States Marine Corps. Another HHS student Tim Patton, a junior, has enlisted under the Delayed Entry Program and will leave in early June 2007 after graduation.

Those enlisting are Nathan Patton, older brother of Tim Patton, Dick McCurry, Jeremy Johnson and Greg Ryle who will also leave June 5 and Michael Emler, Luis Romero, Jeremy Blevins and Marlin Stone who will leave July 10 and the lone female recruit, Mistie Newsome who will leave July 28.

Sgt. Julian Paxton, local recruiter, said he believed that the number of recruits from one class is probably close to being a record from one class.

"We still have a lot of patriotic people who want to serve their country, especially at Harding High School," Paxton said.

For most of the recruits, families members either currently serving or have served in the past, led to their decisions. Others were looking for a challenge, possible career opportunities and financial assistance to continue their education.

Paxton said most of the decisions to enlist were made individually. A native of the Marion area, he said he went to school at Elgin, then open enrolled at Cardington, graduating in 1996.

"I feel a certain responsibility to give them some guidance and good information when making decisions," he said. "I didn't have a lot of discipline growing up and the Marine Corps has given me a lot of opportunities. I made the decision to enlist while in high school. It definitely has given me financial opportunities. The Marine Corps takes care of everything - education, housing, food, and if married, dental and medical needs for your family."

Paxton, too, has seen the world in his 10 years in the military. He was in Yugoslavia at the U.S. Embassy in Albania while the uprising was happening in Bosnia.

"I was a reactionary squad leader. We protected the Embassy and Ambassador there."

Patton (Nathan) said he had done some research on the Internet, completed some inquiries and then received a call from Sgt. Paxton who made a personal visit to talk with him. He said a lot of his family have service connections including an uncle who is a sniper and another uncle in Secret Service. Emler said his family also has a long history of military service which prompted him to join.

Blevins has studied law enforcement the past two years at Tri-Rivers Career Center.

"I decided that (law enforcement) wasn't going to be big enough for me," he said, adding he always knew his chosen career would be law enforcement or the military. "I like to be in the middle of excitement."

Romero, too, said he wanted to give himself a challenge.

Ryle said his first thought had been to join the Air Force but later changed his mind.

"I needed some major direction in life," he said.

"Most of them want challenged," Paxton said. "They feel its extremely important to meet those challenges and serve their country, not just for the educational assistance. It's exciting to me to see them so patriotic."

McCurry will go through boot camp, then begin school Sept. 1 at ITT. He will then return to the Marine Corps next summer for Marine Combat Training. He is using military service for tuition assistance.

"After we complete the Marine Corps, we can do anything," McCurry said and smiled.

Marlin Stone noted boot camp will be difficult for him to be separated from family and his fiancé, Donna Stansbery.

"After boot camp, I'm getting married," he proclaimed.

Having a female among the recruits is rare, Paxton said.

"Mistie is pretty motivated," he said. "She wants to step up and take the challenge. It's pretty rare to have a young lady enlist."

Newsome said her parents would prefer she join the Air Force or Army noting she has a brother who has been in the Air Force nine years and is with the Thunderbirds.

"My parents are having a fit," she said. "They think I'm going in the Army. Wrong branch. I'm going to be a hummer driver."

In addition to the Harding students, Paxton said he also has Eric Wakely, River Valley, and Gil Davanzo, Mount Gilead, grads leaving soon after graduation. Both Wakely and Davanzo are also students at Tri-Rivers Career Center. Another area grad, Travis Brooks, 2004 Ridgedale graduate, is currently in boot camp at Parris Island.

Paxton is the son of Gale Martin, Cardington, and director of the Marion Historical Society.

Ellie