PDA

View Full Version : The story behind it.

Range Coach
05-12-06, 03:01 PM
When I was in Okinawa, I was stationed at Camp Kinser with 3rd Maint. Bn. H&S Co. Pre-positioned War Reserve Plt. We had a young Marine that was serving the last year of his enlistment. This young Marine was, by Marine Corps standards, a fat body. The Private would consistantly pass the PFT with a score of around 260, had always shot expert, no NJP, good pro and con marks, was never disrepectful---just a good, all around Marine, but---he was a fat body. I'm not talking about being disgustingly obese. He was 5' 11" tall and weighed in at 230 pounds. This kid was as strong as an ox! He, along with many of our SNCO's, tried to get a weight waiver for him because he was a GOOD MARINE! The powers-that-be however, didn't see it that way. The result of this was a 4-year Private. Now, I know that every Marine needs to follow the rules and abide by the standards set forth by HQMC, but this guy was one of the best tracked vehicle mechanics I've ever met.
A week prior to rotating back CONUS (W-95), we held a "promotion" for this young man. It was not meant to disrespect any higher ranks, nor was it meant to degrade the young man. Upon the reading of the "promotion warrant" I actually heard the Private laugh--and I mean LAUGH!--for the first time in 10 months. I often wonder what happened to him and always wish him the best of luck, wherever life has taken him. I was a pleasure knowing you Doug! http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/8/0/6/7/MGyPvt.JPG

yellowwing
05-12-06, 03:40 PM
When I was in Okinawa...
That's always the start of a good Sea Tale! This one especially :thumbup:

Marine84
05-12-06, 03:55 PM
How sweeeeeeeeet! But I won't tell anybody................I know how you guys are when somebody finds out that you have a sweet bone in your body. You get major cool points for that.

Range Coach
05-12-06, 03:57 PM
Errr----ummmmm, HEY!!! HOW 'BOUT THEM RAIDERS? Whacha mean "sweet"?

yellowwing
05-27-06, 07:29 PM
Hey, I just noticed that the "Promotion Warrant" reads 'inconfidence' and 'infidelity'!