PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day thoughts...

MillRatUSMC
05-12-06, 06:54 AM
:flag:

I placed this else where but I thought I would also place it here.
To give you my thoughts on Memorial Day.

Most know this about Memorial Day

Veteran's Day is for the living warriors, and Memorial Day is for the fallen warriors.

http://www.muddyboots.net/semperfi/MyTribute/graphics/nextofkin.jpg

Memorial Day is a day of "National Mourning." All U.S. Flags should be displayed at half-staff during the morning hours. At noon, they should be raised back to full-staff.

It's a sacred day to all war veterans - none needs to be reminded of the reason why Memorial Day must be commemorated. But what about the general public, and more importantly, future generations? Do most non-veterans really recognize the importance of Memorial Day?

Celebrated in most states on the last Monday in May, Memorial Day is a time to remember the U.S. men and woman who lost their lives serving their country. Originally known as: "Decoration Day", it was established in 1868 to commemorate the dead from the Civil War. Over the years, it came to serve as a day to remember all U.S. men and women killed or missing in action in all wars.

But what does it really mean?
For some its just the start of summer, for merchants, it's the first big holiday after Christmas and New Years Day.
For some its the start of their summer days in the sun.
But would any of this be possible without the service men and women?
Some gave their alls, so we might have our todays.
Members of our armed forces are now doing that in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Those of us that served, need no reminding of what this day really means.
We could quote famous people and poets on the horrors of war.
But some don't listen to those warnings.
So we go to a war of their making,
Thus insuring that we honor more on the day known as Memorial Day.
A day of mourning for our dead in all our wars.
That is no holiday or is it.
If we take that word apart. Holi or Holy Day...that what it really should mean.
And why we observed a last Monday in May...

Marine84
05-12-06, 07:44 AM
I'm sooooooo glad I'm a Marine! Love the post MillRat! Semper Fi ya'll!

thedrifter
05-12-06, 08:12 AM
Outstanding!

Thanks

Ellie

booksbenji
05-14-06, 10:18 AM
:evilgrin: :marine:

It was raining "cats and dogs" and I was late for physical training.

Traffic was backed up at Fort Campbell, Ky., and was moving way too slowly.
I was probably going to be late and I was growing more and more impatient.

The pace slowed almost to a standstill as I passed Memorial Grove, the site built to honor the soldiers who died in the Gander airplane crash, the worst redeployment accident in the history of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).

Because it was close to Memorial Day, a small American flag had been placed in the ground next to each soldier's memorial plaque.

My concern at the time, however, was getting past the bottleneck, getting out of the rain and getting to PT on time.

All of a sudden, infuriatingly, just as the traffic was getting started again, the car in front of me stopped.

A soldier, a private of course, jumped out in the pouring rain and ran over toward the grove.

I couldn't believe it! This knucklehead was holding up everyone for who knows what kind of prank. Horns were honking. I waited to see the butt-chewing that I wanted him to get for making me late.

He was getting soaked to the skin. His BDUs were plastered to his frame.
I watched-as he ran up to one of the memorial plaques, picked up the small American flag that had fallen to the ground in the wind and the rain, and set it upright again.

Then, slowly, he came to attention, saluted, ran back to his car, and drove off.

I'll never forget that incident. That soldier, whose name I will never know, taught me more about duty, honor, and respect than a hundred books or a thousand lectures.

That simple salute -- that single act of honoring his fallen brother and his flag -- encapsulated all the Army values in one gesture for me. It said, "I will never forget. I will keep the faith. I will finish the mission. I am a man, American soldier."

I thank God for examples like that.

And on this Memorial Day, I will remember all those who paid the ultimate price for my freedom, and one private, soaked to the skin, who honored them.

This is a true account written by Army Captain John Rasmussen and published by ARMY LINK NEWS on May 22, 2002.

Source:http://truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/stoptosalute.htm

JAMarine
05-16-06, 01:33 AM
Nice Post Brother. We should all celebrate Remembrance Day.

BTW,, I received my "In Remembrance" shirt today from Grit. It's got the graphic on the back and the EGA on the front with the word "Remembrance" about it. Good Looking too.

Thanks again.

rich

John Mayotte
05-16-06, 06:10 AM
Thank you much for the post, MillRat. Let us never forget. :iwo:

Semper Fi

:flag: John

greensideout
05-23-08, 01:35 PM
bump

AL49BGN
05-23-08, 01:42 PM
Thank you Millrat.Semper fi to you all.

jrhd97
05-23-08, 03:24 PM
Thank you both for those posts. Good to go.
S/F

Big Jim
05-23-08, 05:03 PM
Awesome posts brothers, and sister!!! May we all remember and reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day in 2008. SEMPER FI...

ricky30091
05-24-08, 07:15 AM
Nicely written Ricardo.
Booksbenji: this show of pride in the USA is one of the reasons I came; we're, in UK, 'allowed' one day in the year to show our pride without upsetting anyone.
All the very best to you one and all.
Ricky

OldSwabbie
05-24-08, 10:26 AM
Just the OldSwabbie again, stopping in to pay respects to my brother Marines. I posted a Memorial Day Message over at NavySEALS.com. Here's the link if you would like to read it, its for you too. God Bless you guys and all you have done and to your fallen brothers and sisters and their familes.

You are no doubt Semper Fidelis.. Always Faithful...

OldSwabbie
Moderator NavySEALS.Com

http://navyseals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158054

yellowwing
05-24-08, 03:15 PM
First to Fight for Right and Freedom. And many of them were the First to Sacrifice.

Everyday Marines remember our Grandfathers and Brothers from Belleau Wood, Iwo Jima, Chosin, Hue City, Khe Sahn, Helmand and Al Anbar.