PDA

View Full Version : Marine Mom Refuses to Remove Flag

thedrifter
05-10-06, 06:37 AM
Marine Mom Refuses to Remove Flag
Angela Russell
Reporting

(CBS 3) MONTGOMERYVILLE A flag flap in Montgomery County is heating up as a Marine mom with a son fighting in Iraq is vowing to stay the course. CBS 3’s Angela Russell reports she would rather pay up instead of taking down a patriotic flag that some say breaks the rules.

After watching a video from her son who is serving overseas in Iraq, Cathy Andreacchio said she would not take down a flag that is causing controversy in her Montgomeryville community.

“You can’t put a price on what everyone is doing over in Iraq,” she said.

The Homeowners Association has told Andreacchio that if she does not remove an American flag with the symbol of the Marines, she could face fines. But despite the cost, she said she’s going to let the flag fly.

“By leaving it up, I feel that I’m honoring my son, a Marine, and every military person out there,” Andreacchio said.

Originally she had a Marine Corps flag displayed in the front of her home, but the Homeowner’s Association said only an American Flag can be shown.

When she unveiled the new flag, the Association rejected it and also mentioned yellow ribbons in her yard must also be removed. Each ribbon marks a month Andreacchio’s son has to serve and with each passing month, one is removed.

Resident Fred Champion does not see the problem with the display.

“Is the homeowner being unpatriotic by putting up a Marine flag? I don’t think so,” he said.

Neighbors that support Andreacchio’s cause have offered to help her pay the fines she faces. Andreacchio said that any donations will be used for care packages for soldiers serving overseas.

She said the fines are a small price to pay for the pride she has for the soldiers serving in Iraq.

“If I was allowed to, I would get a flag with every branch of the military and put it up just to say, ‘Good job,’” she said.

The head of the Homeowner’s Association declined to comment on the situation.

Ellie