PDA

View Full Version : Old, young disabled veterans share camaraderie, golf

thedrifter
05-10-06, 06:07 AM
Old, young disabled veterans share camaraderie, golf

Web Posted: 05/10/2006 12:01 AM CDT

Chuck McCollough
Express-News Staff Writer

Veterans who lost limbs in wars 30 years apart found common ground in a recent game of golf.

Ten soldiers and Marines being treated at Brooke Army Medical Center for injuries sustained in the war with Iraq visited Cedar Creek Municipal Golf Course on the Northwest Side to take part in a new program to get disabled people out on the links.

The San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department and the Texas Amputee Golf Association sponsored the recent adapted golf clinic that brought together two generations of war veterans who've lost limbs.

The program's aim is to help disabled people learn to play golf through the use of special equipment and/or special training and how to properly stand and hit a golf ball.

Members of the Texas Amputee Golf Association, most of whom served in the Vietnam War, patiently coached and encouraged the new amputees — most in their 20s and young enough to be their sons.

"One of the young guys asked if I had any Vietnam stories," said Roy McCoy with a laugh. McCoy lost a leg in that war 30 years ago.

"The younger guys and us older guys traded war stories, shot the bull and just enjoyed being out here today," said McCoy, president of the Texas Amputee Golf Association.

Army Sgt. Chang Wong said he had fun but isn't sure about taking up golf.

"I have taken part in wheelchair basketball and sitting volleyball but this was the first time to play golf," said Wong, who lost both legs in Iraq.

"I enjoyed hitting the ball straight after learning to concentrate and relax on the driving range. I think I'm getting the hang of it," the 23-year-old said.

Marine Albert Flores, 27, was injured by a roadside bomb last May and was learning to play adapted golf along with fellow amputees.

"The hospital (BAMC) keeps us busy doing things and I have done snow skiing, scuba and tennis. I like golf — it is fun," the California native said as he smacked a solid hit headed for the 100-yard marker at the bottom of a hill.

"I think I'm picking this up pretty quick," Flores said as an older veteran put down another golf ball and critiqued Flores' stance and swing.

The BAMC amputees and their mentors spent about 90 minutes on the driving range at Cedar Creek before embarking on a round of golf. They were scheduled to play nine holes, but only got in three before having to go back to BAMC.

The golf clinic is part of a golf outreach effort by two Parks and Recreation's divisions — the BlazeSports program for the disabled and the Golf Operations Department.

Members of the Texas Amputee Golf Association spent the morning instructing golf pros at city golf courses on how to give adapted golf instruction to disabled members of the public or the military who want to learn to play golf or improve their game.

"This is kind of the heart of our program — to get amputees, especially new amputees, out of the house, out of their bed and to start doing something. They have suffered a traumatic injury, a life-changing injury and we want to give them back something they can feel a part of — in this case golf. Their life isn't over because they lost a limb," McCoy said.

He said his group teaches basic golf skills to help get people interested in the game.

"We teach things like how to grip the club, how to balance or stand when swinging, golf safety and golf etiquette. If they want to do more than that, they can go to a golf pro like the ones we helped train in adapted golf," McCoy said.

Tina Tholl, therapeutic recreation program supervisor for Parks and Recreation, helped put on the clinic.

"You could see a bond develop between the older veterans and the younger ones. The younger soldiers asked the older veterans how they were injured and then said they appreciated what the older fellas did in Vietnam. Some of the older veterans said that was the first time someone had thanked them for serving in Vietnam," Tholl said.

She said Parks and Recreation's goal is to make golf in San Antonio more accessible to disabled people and the department is committed to that goal.

For details, call Tholl at (210) 207-3048 or visit the Web site at www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/...eutic.asp.

cmcc@express-news.net

Ellie