PDA

View Full Version : Marine’s tearful dad proud of hero

thedrifter
05-10-06, 05:54 AM
Marine’s tearful dad proud of hero
By O’Ryan Johnson
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - Updated: 04:05 AM EST

Grim-faced Marines held out a tri-folded flag and a Purple Heart to Joseph Ford yesterday during the funeral for his son in New Bedford.

“I just cried my eyes out,” Ford said of the moment. “When I realized my son died a hero. Something I didn’t think would be possible in my life. He did what he wanted to do. He proudly served his country. It’s too bad it was just so short.”

Taps played and rain fell.

Lance Cpl. Michael Ford, 19, a tanker who turned 18 during boot camp, was killed two weeks ago when an improved explosive device exploded under his tank. He was buried yesterday with full military honors at Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, a burial ground for veterans.

“It was a relief to get it over with,” said Ford, 47, who attended with another son, Joseph Jr. “I was proud to see people there who supported my son, people I didn’t even know.”

Ford said he didn’t speak at the funeral, but he sang the opening song, “I’ll Go Where You Want Me to Go.”

The song’s chorus begins, “I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord, O’er mountain, or plain or sea.”

“The values it talks about in the song reflect the kind of life Michael lived,” Ford said. “He traveled where he needed to go. He was taught to speak up for himself and those who can’t speak up for themselves.”

Ellie

thedrifter
05-10-06, 06:02 AM
Marine who died in Iraq is remembered
His father sings as mourners sob

By Megan Tench, Globe Staff | May 10, 2006

NORTH DARTMOUTH -- Wearing a necktie designed with the American flag, Joseph Ford Sr. slowly stepped forward yesterday, glanced down at his son's coffin, and then sang a hymn that broke the hearts of the mourners gathered inside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

''I'll go where you want me to go," Ford sang, with his eyes closed and his voice cracking amid sobs of anguish from the crowd.

His son, Lance Corporal Michael Louis Ford, a 19-year-old Marine from New Bedford, was killed on April 26 when the tank he was driving struck a roadside bomb during combat in Al Anbar Province.

Ford, known to many in his hometown as Mikey, had been in Iraq for a month, family members said. In 2004, after watching President Bush in a televised speech talk about the war in Iraq, Ford decided to join the Marines, they said.

As rain poured outside the church, hundreds of mourners paid their respects to a young man who dedicated his life to the service of others. Teenagers from the culinary program at Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, where Ford graduated in 2004, packed the pews and folding chairs, many wearing shirts and jackets emblazoned with Ford's picture. Dignitaries, including Governor Mitt Romney and Mayor Scott Lang of New Bedford, sat facing the crowd of police officers, Marines, mother, fathers, and children.

''I have Mikey in my heart," said Barbara Owen, a friend who spoke on behalf of the family. She told tales of watching Ford grow up, and his visits to her home, particularly after his mother died of heart failure in 2002. Owen's words came out slow and painstakingly, as she described a loyal and trustworthy child who grew up to be an honorable man.

''I enjoyed Michael's sense of humor," she said, with a small smile. ''Sometimes I didn't get the joke."

As a youngster, Ford was a member of the 4-H Club, helped his mother plant a garden at Hayden-McFadden Elementary School, and often delivered food and created holiday greeting cards for the elderly. As a student at Keith Junior High School, Ford helped the staff install computers, she said.

''Michael and his family had a lot of difficulties in their lives," Owen said. ''I always felt Mikey has the ability to understand what life laid before him. Mikey, my Mikey, was a frequent visitor in my home. I was the only one who could pat his cheeks and kiss him on the forehead. I always told him I loved him."

Owen then stared at the coffin.

''There is so much left unsaid," she whispered, as Ford's father wiped away tears.

''We will always love you very much," she said.

Ford was buried with full military honors at National Veterans Cemetery in Bourne.

Ellie