PDA

View Full Version : The war's deadliest day for U.S. women

thedrifter
05-08-06, 12:51 PM
The war's deadliest day for U.S. women <br />
By Susan Dominus <br />
Glamour magazine <br />
<br />
There was a loud bang and the flash of a fireball—and in just minutes an Iraqi suicide bomb killed three American...

rickelly
05-09-06, 02:39 AM
They will be naming a Post Office in Holly Charette's home town of Cranston, RI. If anyone would like to the date of the ceremony I will post latter.

thedrifter
05-09-06, 06:16 PM
Is A Marine Always Just A Marine?
Posted By Subsunk
Black Five

Subsunk here. I know I'll catch heat for this one, but it needs to be highlighted.

For thousands and thousands of years, Men have sought something which has a quality to inspire them to be better than they already are. Something or someone to make them desire to be better at whatever they do, and in most cases, to be Better Men than they are or than their Fathers were. A lot of this drive is bred into us. We need to see something or someone nobler than we ourselves are. We will seek it until we die or find what we are looking for. My Dad always called it "the mark to shoot at".

In many cases, what drove Men was the need to find a Good Woman to help them raise their kids, help him carry the burdens of Life, and comfort him when he fell short of his goals, as all Men do from time to time. Good Women came in all shapes and sizes. They suffered loudly or silently, were easy or difficult to live with or maybe, simple or complex in behavior. Every one of us had a Mother who brought us into the world, bathed us, clothed us, loved us, comforted us before we outgrew the silly notions that we, as Men, needed any of those things. We seek Women who were like Mom to fulfill our notions of what a Woman is supposed to do and to be about. We were Men and we reigned Supreme (at least until the Chief of Subsunk Operations directs execution of the daily trash and cleanup detail).

Then, along comes the US military and insists that we may have been a little hasty in our assessment of what a perfect Woman was made of, and proceeded to inform us that we would henceforth treat these objects known as Women exactly as we would treat any other Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine.

Of course, those of us who knew there was no way to change Man, knew this was futile. There is no way to treat Woman the same as we treat Man, nor should we. But perhaps we were a little blind and reckless in our behavior during execution of these orders. And the papers are full of stories about how Men "mistreat" Women to the point of subservience or harassment, or some other --ism which the PC crowd uses to tell us how boorish and unManly our conduct is. I will grant you, they are correct in many cases.

And then along comes a group of Women who teaches all us dinosaurs what Womanhood can achieve, changes our vision of the perfect Woman, and cements for their Sisters, a place alongside their Brothers in Arms. Which begs the question, when is a Marine more than Just a Marine?

When she will stand beside you and fight with you against your enemies. When she is also your Shipmate wielding an M-16 and rescuing her sisters and inspiring her brothers with her courage and determination. When she immediately gathers together 10 replacement Marines to take the place of the Fallen. When she manages to make her brothers weep, stand tall and strong, all at the same time. When she can awe Generals who are inspired by not hearing about a miracle, but actually seeing one in the flesh. And when the idea that a Marine is not simply a Man or a Woman, but is that noble someone who places Life and Limb on the line, in defense of their Country, their Comrades, and their Corps, regardless of their sex, and performs their duty willingly, selflessly, and honorably --- Then a Marine is More than Just a Marine.

I know Women have suffered and borne up under the strain since Adam was a mess cook. But the idea of Perfect Womanhood will never be the same.

Subsunk, Out.

Ellie

Lorix
05-14-06, 11:20 AM
They will be naming a Post Office in Holly Charette's home town of Cranston, RI. If anyone would like to the date of the ceremony I will post latter.
I think that's nice of them, but I find that a little sexist, if it was a male that was killed the same way, would they name the post office after the male? Males die all the time, female rarely do, so why all the attention on the females? I think it's good to honor the service of a female, but I think in the same way, they should honor the service of the males also.

That's just my 2 cents, and go ahead and argue it, I will defend it to the best of my ability. :yes:

Just like Lori Piestowa (hope I spelled it right, she was with Jessica Lynch when all that action began, she died whereas Lynch survived), she was a female Marine, later enlisted in the Army. She was calm and ready when the fighting broke out, she was thinking straight and almost made it out (with Lynch in the hmmwv) until bullets forced her to cut the wheel which lead to a crash, she didn't make it out of there. She's from my home state, Arizona, they named a mountain after her (I hiked it a few times :banana: ), Piestowa Peak, one of the largest in Phoenix, formerly named Squaw Peak. I thought it was nice of them to honor her life in that way, but would they have done the same for a male in the same situation? She was the first female Indian to die in foreign combat. I just think some attention needs to be given to the males who die too, anyone agree?

:iwo:

rickelly
05-15-06, 12:00 AM
To answer your question, they have named several post offices in this state after service members. For one the main post office was named after the highest honored Marine from this state. One was named after a Bronze Star recipinet, but was re-named afterit was found out that he forged the paper work for the medal.

They are also doing this because Holly Charette wanted to work for the postal service after her time was up in the Marine Corps. The House and Senate approved the naming in a heart beat. Holly Charette lived and went to high school in the city and this is how they wanted to honor her. I would guess you would have to ask your potations why they do not do this in your state. One other one comes to mind a Marine from two cities away had his high school football field named after him being KIA.

jennifer
05-19-06, 01:52 PM
OK!! In steps LCpl Quirino!!! First off, ya male Marines are KIA all the time but it is very rarely that a WM is KIA so when the nation sees a WM KIA then they would like to give everyone something to remember her by. The nation hurts more when a female is KIA. And how do you not know that the nation is not honoring our male Marines? :devious:

Camper51
05-19-06, 02:07 PM
As usual...........a brain housing group was NOT engaged before the mouth began to rattle away. The usual wreck occurred immediately thereafter...

Lorix
05-19-06, 02:28 PM
To answer your question, they have named several post offices in this state after service members. For one the main post office was named after the highest honored Marine from this state. One was named after a Bronze Star recipinet, but was re-named afterit was found out that he forged the paper work for the medal.

They are also doing this because Holly Charette wanted to work for the postal service after her time was up in the Marine Corps. The House and Senate approved the naming in a heart beat. Holly Charette lived and went to high school in the city and this is how they wanted to honor her. I would guess you would have to ask your potations why they do not do this in your state. One other one comes to mind a Marine from two cities away had his high school football field named after him being KIA.
That's all I wanted to know. Question answered.

I was basically refering to my hometown, I have never seen any post offices or anything named after male servicemen. I have not seen it, so my opinion was off reguarding fact, you've seen different as to what I have seen, we exchanged ideas, and now we are on the same page. That's all I wanted to know, good day.

:iwo:

Camper51
05-19-06, 02:33 PM
Damn, two crashes for one!!!!!!!!!!

kubba
06-10-06, 07:50 AM
I am a little behind here but don't you all think we are worried a little too much on what is going to be named after a fallen Marine or any other military personel? WM's are our sisters and we need to back them 100% No questions asked. Men and women died in armed conflicks all over the world because of stupid mistakes, bad intelligence, **** poor leader ship, because they went by the book instead of listening to experience or just bad training.We as Marines have the best training we can have we train for any type of conditions any where around the would. But the one thing that is still tearing at all the guys out there is WM's in combat. It is time to wake up and smell the coffee.
kubba

kentmitchell
07-03-06, 08:22 AM
Drifter, I think you nailed it.

kentmitchell
07-03-06, 08:26 AM
Lorix,

All, or almost all, our Marine bases are named after men. Why not a post office for a fallen comrade?
I still remember one anecdote in the book, The Green Berets, where a green beanie demanded they name the camp head (they call it latrine) after him if he bought the farm. He did and they did.

Pialphamu
07-03-06, 11:20 PM
A Marine, is a Marine, is a Marine. No sex need be implied.

beakerless
07-21-06, 02:56 AM
A Marine, is a Marine, is a Marine. No sex need be implied.

Today the role of women in the military is being redefined in all branches. Is it right or wrong for our women to be sharing the burden of a warzone with the men? I can't answer that question but traditionally in this nation those who change history are often honored in a similar fashion.

I can say that I pray equally for all our troops but that the women hold a special place in my heart because I know how far they have come over the years and I am very proud of them.

SF

blind0311
08-05-06, 06:09 PM
gotta say when chips are down I dont care what genetallia your packing just get some that way we can both go home.

jbrocatomarine
08-11-06, 11:54 PM
I understand more than anyone,the pain they all endured. Job well done Marines I am very proud of you and Humbled at the same time,Payback is coming for your lost friends and fellow Marines.