PDA

View Full Version : The Tradition Lives on..

Super Dave
12-13-02, 02:28 PM
Monday December 9th, my daughter depated...destination Paris Island, SC. As a former Marine myself, the pride inside me is immense! Will be counting the days until 3/7/03 when she earns the title Marine.

Ohhhh Rahhh

Semper Fi

David Carpenter
3rd Btn 4th Marines
1982-1986
:marine:

Shaffer
12-13-02, 02:32 PM
I am sure you must have felt pretty proud when she left. Can you imagine how you will feel when you watch her walk across that parade deck?

Semper Fi,
Jerry

wrbones
12-13-02, 02:53 PM
Good for you, Marine!

I hope she does ya proud!

Art Petersn
12-13-02, 03:55 PM
I was just there last March and they were not any eaiser on the women than they were on the men. As it should be.

thedrifter
12-13-02, 03:57 PM
Congrat's..........

Wishing your daughter all the best............

Sempers,

Roger

Barndog
12-13-02, 07:12 PM
Yo Dave.......
My Daughter just turned 16 in November....... and is seriously consdering the Corps.
I'll tell you like I told her........

You go and make it baby.....

My ass WILL BE THERE, a week early (for oversight on the Crucible (lmfao) ....
And (if) when you make it I will be standing there in my Dress Blues...

Semper FI Brother - My Heart is with you and your Baby Girl..

Do her the Justice I would my own. Blues, and YOUR ASS BETTER BE THERE.

OOOHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greensideout
12-13-02, 07:59 PM
The daughter of a Marine at work just graduated.
Oh yes, he was there!
She out shot him and out PT'd him.
He sure is proud of her!
He says they have a new bond that "mom" just can't understand.

Best Wishes to you and your daughter!

SHOOTER1
12-13-02, 08:48 PM
I know how your feeling, my daughter went in 1990, for two tours, and now her daughter, my Granddaughter is planning to go in also, its a feeling you cant describe for sure, best wishes for her to git the training she chooses.

Super Dave
12-16-02, 09:52 AM
I told her there is no way in hell would I miss her graduation!!! I am so proud of her already, as all parents are, but this just puts it over the top. I went to see her swear in at MEPS the day she departed. Actually was there for both times. She was already "ribbing" an Air Force recruit. She's got the Marine attitude already. She must have at least listened to somethings i've said through the years. I guess all the years of playing the Marine Corp hyhm as she slept finally paid off. Will keep you updated on her progress

Semper Fi,

Dave

firstsgtmike
12-16-02, 10:30 AM
No hurry, but when my time comes I will leave this world with very few regrets.

However few they are, one of mine will be that was I never given the opportunity to sit in the stands at MCRD and watch one of my own pass in review.

YET!

(I'm working on it, but my best shot is still fifteen years down the road.)

You will soon join one of the smallest lists in the world, and that is, People That I Envy.

La C'haim.

BADAMS
12-16-02, 11:36 AM
Congratulations David!

My son is 14 and planning on becoming a Marine. Its was all I could do to hold back my excitement and say, in case things change, "Whatever you decide I'll be proud of you."

At this point I can't even imagine the feeling of having a son or a daughter earn the title. Hopefully some day I'll be in your shoes.

gemntx
12-16-02, 12:33 PM
Congratulations!

I remember watching my nephew pass in review. I was not there in Dress Blues, Service A was the uniform of the day for me. Enjoy it?

Glenn

CAS3
12-16-02, 01:31 PM
Congratulations Dave.
Just what the Corps needs...more women who are Marine babies. I am one happy person knowing that the Corps is getting someone who already knows of our pride, tradition and commitment.
Keep us posted.
Semper Fi,
Colleen

Stahice
01-02-03, 11:06 AM
I'm 16, (and a woman) and I'm planning on joining the Corp in a year. I've heard some bad things about the Marines. (i.e. Women treated as sexual objects; harassment) I'd like to hear your opinions on this. (Both Men & Women alike)

Stahice

mardet65
01-02-03, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Stahice
I'm 16, (and a woman) and I'm planning on joining the Corp in a year. I've heard some bad things about the Marines. (i.e. Women treated as sexual objects; harassment) I'd like to hear your opinions on this. (Both Men & Women alike)

Stahice
I don't know what you've heard. But, in any orginization there's always that 10% of goofballs, screwups and just plain jerks. The Corps tries to weed em out and has been pretty successful at it for over two hundred years. I can guarantee you one thing, the DI's, Marine Corps Officers, and NCO's and most "True Marines", treat Female Marines as they should be treated; just like any other person who's earned the title!

Super Dave
01-21-03, 03:25 PM
Thats for all the kind words...Just an update..
My daughter is in almost mid 2nd phase, Grass Week, I can still feel the burn from snapping in, at times. She's earned her tan belt in the martial arts program. She'd better have, since i'm a martial arts instructor, she's finished with swim qual. She still has a great attitude and spirit. She has said in many of her letters, I came here to be a Marine..Not leaving until I am a Marine..
Gotta love it...

Ohhh Rahhhh

JChristin
02-09-03, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Stahice

Stahice

No matter where I have been in the Marine Corps, it just always seemed to me that I was given more respect than the other women who were not Marines.

The United States Marine Corps has provided me with one of the greatest resumes to give to potential employers. When I am interviewed, as the prospective employer reviews my resumes and notices: United States Marine Corps, they always look up to me and say, "YOUR A MARINE?" I typically reply, "Once a Marine, Always a Marine, and that's Marine with a capital M." I always smile when I say that. They always smile back too.

Stahice, I hope you do the work required to become one of Us. It is something that will follow you the rest of your life. One of the finest benefits is the respect given once a person or group of people discover I am a Marine. Its amazing.

Prior to entering the Marine Corps, I grew up in a small city in the Pacific Northwest doing modeling for local department stores, newpapers ads, all those things. I did all the "normal" girlie things, but I was a bit of a "tomboy" as well. I always felt equal to the boys at school. My parents were willing to help me pay for college, and they could well afford it. But something inside me said, "earn it for yourself - blow mom and dad away with pride." That is when I walked into the hallway of where all the military enlistment offices in downtown Portland.

I didn't know anything about the different branches of the military. NOTHING AT ALL. The first guy to talk to me while I was picking out brochures on the different branches in the hallway invited me to sit down next to his desk inside his office. He was sooooo handsome and in a blue uniform. All the guys in his office were all sooooo handsome and in the nicest looking blue uniforms. He asked me what I wanted to do in the military. Heck I didn't know. I was married right out of high school, for a few years, and my ex had spoken about being in the infantry in the army. So I said, "I want to go into the infantry." They ALL STARED AT ME. YAP, SHE BELONGS HERE ALRIGHT.

Next thing I knew I was signing papers and taking some tests and told my Mom and all my friends. Oh my god they all said, have you any ideal who the MARINES are and WHAT THEY DO? Since I was still legally married, I had to have my soon to be ex sign a paper. He was IMPRESSED. BUt I think he was even more glad to have me gone.

I went from walking in a pair of heels down runways to marching around in a pair of boots on the parade deck. Boot Camp changed my prospective on life and how I live. The Marine Corps enhaced my level of self-esteem, sense of purpose and my abilities to accomplish tasks towards achieving goals that I may otherwise never of undertaken.

There are a few with backward thinking, in my humble opinion, that can only few women as sexual creators who's primary duty is to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Well, I can do that too and be more. But we are more than just mere "objects." We are a band of women with a common denominator, we are Marines. Very few women can claim that title, very few. Our numbers are small. That is what makes us "the fewer and the prouder." I hope you have the courage to join our elite club.

Semper Fi,
JChristin

Rob Parry
02-10-03, 06:49 AM
Over this side of the water there are Wrens, (Womens Royal Naval Service) personnel attached to various units of the Royal Marines. These ladies are treated like the stars they are. They invariably enjoy the environment, are respected and protected, whether they like it or not.

leroy8541
02-10-03, 06:14 PM
Of course you are given more respect han "normal" women. The title Marine in a civilian mind, conjures images of you ripping his throat out and feeding him own guts .

JChristin
02-10-03, 09:21 PM
well said Leroy.

and a few of those a$$hole interviewers out there, especially in those employment agencies, desire to have themselves fed their own guts.

semper fi
jchristin

JAMarine
02-11-03, 11:33 PM
We're all Proud For Ya.

cg36
03-09-03, 11:29 AM
hey dave!

Congrats on your daughter!! I too, hope to become a U.S. Marine within the next couple of years. give us an update on your daughter. It's already March 9!!!

Super Dave
03-09-03, 01:52 PM
She had a little trouble on the rifle range, missed qualing by just a couple of points. She was re-cycled back to the platoon following her. The next platoon was 1 month behind her in training. She found out that her M-16 had a damaged barrel, thus why the trouble on the range. She just finished the rifle range last week. Waiting to hear results. She still has a great attitude and has matures do much since she left. The letters i get from her sound like they are coming from a different person. Her new graduation date is April 11th. She stated in her letter that maybe she just needed 4 months of boot camp.

JChristin
03-09-03, 02:15 PM
Being re-cycled is a great moral downer. My hopes and prayers are with her. Even if it doesn't result in the eventual outcome we all strive for, she did the footwork to do that which would make herself proud, her family proud, and the Marine Corps proud. But something tells me, she'll make it. No matter what, she's one of us!

semper fi
jchristin

Super Dave
03-09-03, 02:30 PM
From her letter, she went straight to her new platoon. Went through swim qual again and everything she had already went through. Her letters have been upbeat and she is still a hard charger. Thanks...

wrbones
03-09-03, 02:43 PM
I can identify with that rifle crap. Wingers didn't used to have a rifle assigned to them. We hadda use whatever the armory gave us when we went to qual. Three times I fired either marksman or sharpshooter. Every other time I fired expert. wtf? I know of at least one rifle they gave me that had a bent barrel. You could see it! One time I fired expert by using good ol' kentucky windage. That's why I was glad to hear that the new M-16 had a heavier barrel. Firing at targets since I've been out, I've put a good group on every one time after time.

Dave, she'll be alright if she's hangin tough with the other stuff.

cg36
03-10-03, 07:26 AM
since she's come so far, she'll make it. just keep us posted on how she's doing!!! my prayers are with her!!!

SheWolf
03-10-03, 07:46 AM
She'll do fine Dave,,, I pm'd you with a little "war" story of my own,,,, just wanted to say congrats to you and your daughter

Super Dave
03-14-03, 10:44 AM
GREAT NEWS!! Just heard the news..She did it!! With the new M16 she qualified! April 11th is the date for her graduation. This Marine will never be prouder than when I can call her Marine. The changes are very apparent in her letters. She in no longer the spoiled teenager she was before. She ACTUALLY apologized her her actions growing up. She said if she only understood the Corps values then. Ohhh Fu**ing Rahhhh
Semper Fi,
Dave

DanBO
03-14-03, 10:55 AM
I can relate with you Dave, My Stepson was, and I repeat was, a longhair, video game freak. Just a little over a year and a half ago he came to his mother and I to tell us he was joining the Corps. Something must have rubbed off finaly. After spending 6 months in Boot Camp, Stress fractures in both legs (MRP), I am proud to say I now have a Son and a Brother all rolled up in one person. My wife and traveled back to MCRD for his graduation, and I can't tell you the pride I was feeling not to mention what his mother was feeling. She keeps telling me thankyou for pushing her son so much, I personally don't feel that I did anything special. I just tried to lead by example. Take pride in what your daughter has accomplished and always be supportive in what she has instore for the remainder of her hitch.

"Semper Fi Mac"

wrbones
03-14-03, 11:17 AM
Congratulations Marines. I proud for you.

thedrifter
03-14-03, 02:34 PM
Congratulation to you and your daughter.......

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
03-19-03, 10:35 AM
Only 23 days till Alma's graduation, not that i'm counting the days or anything. With each letter from her she sounds more and more mature and more of a Marine than a slimy civilian. In her last letter she said, and it almost got me, that when she leaves PI she will have a feeling of pride than no one in the family can undestand expect for her and I. When i return for her graduation I will be sure to upload a picture of me and my new Marine daughter.
Semper Fi,

JChristin
03-29-03, 03:16 PM
The days are ticking away, soon, she'll share our title.

Bet you are one proud father.

congratulations!

semper fi,
jchristin

Super Dave
03-31-03, 02:42 PM
Tomorrow, April 1st she steps off on "The Crucible". I have sent a letter to her Senior DI with the emblems that I wore on my uniform. When she has the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor ceremony on the 10th she will be getting the emblems that I wore. I just hope my heart and chest doesn't explode from swelling with pride. I will get a phone call from her this Sunday. Will be sitting by the phone waiting to POUNCE on it when it rings. I feel sorry for people that call me on Sunday before I talk to her. Every time the phone rings I will be hoping that it is her.

Semper Fi

mrbsox
03-31-03, 03:58 PM
What an awsome idea.... your Emblems.

I hope the SDI makes a TRUE ceremony out of it.

Semper Fi

Super Dave
04-08-03, 10:33 AM
Well I leave tomorrow evening for PI. She did it, I am one proud Marine dad. I did get a 5 min call from her last Sunday. It was great hearing her voice and knowing that she made it. Her DI has already presented her my emblems. They were scratched in transit, so she needs to fix them before she wears them. I've never felt a more intense feeling of pride then when I was able to say Hello Marine to her. I can't wait to see her Thursday and see her graduate on Friday..

Ohhh Rahh

wrbones
04-08-03, 10:46 AM
Congratulations, Marine! I'm proud for you and proud of her!

She's got a big family now!

thedrifter
04-08-03, 10:51 AM
Congratulations, Marine!

Sempers,

Roger

JChristin
04-08-03, 12:05 PM
Congratulation to our new Marine.

A Big OOOOOOOOOOOHRAHHHHHH!

semper fi,
jchristin

Super Dave
04-13-03, 03:42 PM
I have NEVER been prouder a day in my life as i was as i watched my daughter earn the title Marine. She made me proud, she would ALL of us Marines proud! I have posted a picture of us in my gallery once it is approved you all will be able to see my new marine.

Semper Fi,
David
Dad of a New Marine

usmcsgt65
04-13-03, 04:05 PM
The only way to go - All the Way

Semper Fi

Osotogary
04-13-03, 05:45 PM
Great news! Continued well wishes to your Daughter and her mentors. Thanks for the good news.
Adios from South Florida
Gary

JChristin
04-13-03, 10:46 PM
A Marine has been borned. ooooohRAH!

We need more female Marines.

Thanks David for sharing your experiece with us.

semper fi,
jchristin

SheWolf
04-14-03, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Super Dave
I have NEVER been prouder a day in my life as i was as i watched my daughter earn the title Marine. She made me proud, she would ALL of us Marines proud! I have posted a picture of us in my gallery once it is approved you all will be able to see my new marine.

Semper Fi,
David
Dad of a New Marine

Congratulations!!!! :yes:

blondie24411
04-29-03, 01:10 PM
I have been in for awhile. It is how you conduct yourself is how we are look at. If you flirt and act loose and that is how you are treated. Do not put yourself in situations where they can miss judge you. Keep yourself on the down low and do not let them get away with it either. Remember women Marines have come along ways and will go far in the future.

:marine:

ladileathrnek
04-29-03, 02:05 PM
Congrats Dad....

Don't worry about your daughter, she will be fine. She does her job, PTs to stay fit (pass PFT and military appearance) and continues on with the things she's been taught in bootcamp (and by you I am SURE), will do fine. Glad to have her. She has any questions about WMs that you can't answer...just send her our way.

Semper FI!

kubba
05-02-03, 04:08 PM
belated congrats
you must really be proud of her.
Semper FI
stan