PDA

View Full Version : Bush Orders Vaccination

Shaffer
12-13-02, 02:27 PM
President Bush announced Friday that he is ordering 500,000 military personnel and others in high-risk parts of the world receive the smallpox vaccine. He said he will also receive the vaccine. "As commander-in-chief, I do not believe I can ask others to accept this risk unless I am willing to do the same," Bush said.

What is it?
The vaccine is made from vaccinia, a virus related to smallpox. It does not contain the smallpox virus and cannot give people smallpox.

The two vaccines that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports will be used in the near future are calf-lymph and tissue culture cell vaccines.

How does it work?
The vaccine is given using a two-pronged needle that is dipped into the vaccine solution. The needle is pricked into the skin, usually on the upper arm, 15 times in a few seconds. The red and itchy bump that develops is a sign that the vaccination has been successful. The bump later turns into a blister, then a scab. Once the scab falls off (about three weeks later), a small scar is left behind.

The vaccine provides full immunity for three to five years and decreasing immunity thereafter.

What are the risks?
Most people experience normal, usually mild reactions to the vaccine, but about 1,000 out of every 1 million people vaccinated are expected to need medical attention.

Fifteen people per 1 million will get seriously ill after first-time vaccinations.

Many more people will have flulike symptoms.

One or two people out of every 1 million vaccinated may die as a result of life-threatening reactions.