PDA

View Full Version : Toy's R Us Bans Marines and toys for tots

mpwildes
12-13-02, 09:59 AM
I am outraged at this article from my local newspaper. I am contributor to the program and find it sickening that a large scale toy chain would leave us and the recipents of the toys out to dry. I ask everyone to write Toy's R us and Tell them what you think.

Marines ousted from toy drive location
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press December 11, 2002.

By RICH BREAULT
Valley Press Senior Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LANCASTER - No Toys For Tots at Toys `R' Us.
James Bono and his two young children went in armed with gift cards from the children's grandfather Saturday at the Toys `R' Us store on Avenue K.

On the way in, they had their photo taken with Santa, and in return were going to purchase a toy to give to the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve's Toys for Tots representative standing near the store's entrance.

"They were excited about buying a toy for Toys for Tots and decided to buy three toys," Bono said. "When we got to the front of the store, we were handed the kids' photo with Santa, but there were no Marines or Toys for Tots barrel.

"The lady who handed us the photo said (Toys for Tots) was kicked out because they didn't have approval to be there. The kids were disappointed, so we took the toys to the VFW (Post 9657) in Rosamond, where my mom and stepdad were, and we donated (the toys) there."

Gunnery Sgt. Daphne Sherlock, local Marines coordinator for Toys for Tots, said the ouster came as a surprise to her.

"We were told that Toys `R' Us corporate headquarters said no more Marines in front of their stores for Toys for Tots," Sherlock said. "I don't know why. I have done Toys for Tots for 10 years and we have always been welcome at Toys `R' Us."

The managers at Lancaster Toys `R' Us told the Valley Press they couldn't comment and advised a reporter to call the parent company's headquarters.

"We don't let anyone solicit on our premises," Toys `R' Us spokeswoman Susan McLaughlin said. "Toys for Tots is a great program. But if they have been soliciting on our property, it shouldn't have been allowed.

"This year, Toys `R' Us, Kids `R' Us and Babies `R' Us are working with the Boys and Girls Club of America and the program `A Time for Smiles.' It's a program where money is given at the registers, collected and then given to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America's Christmas toy program for the needy."

When told that programs such as Antelope Valley Transportation Agency's "Stuff-A-Bus" toy collection program operates from a parking lot in front of the Lancaster Toys `R' Us, McLaughlin said, "If it is a strip mall, we are not the owners of the parking lot, and they could probably solicit there with the owner's permission."

"And if the Marines got the owner's permission, they could probably do it from the parking lot as well."

Bono said he's upset about the lack of support for Toys for Tots.

"It's hard to understand (Toys `R' Us') motivation. It's a pretty sad thing they did," Bono said. "I know that when my dad gets ready to send gift cards for the kids next Christmas, I'll ask him for gift cards from Wal-Mart or KB Toys."

Sherlock said the Toys for Tots program will be hurt by not being able to collect toys at Toys `R' Us.

"I think "Toys `R' Us" is shooting themselves in their own foot," Sherlock said. "Our other collection sites have been awesome. If people want to buy a toy at Toys `R' Us and bring to KB Toys in Lancaster or Palmdale to drop it off, they can."

Sgt W

MillRatUSMC
12-13-02, 12:28 PM
http://www.avpress.com/n/westy10.hts

If the above works, it should show the whole article on the banning of the "Toys For Tots Program" from Toy-R-Us.
Now my question might be;
Do they also ban the Salivation Army from seeking donations from the front of that store?
It very sad that we come to this maddness.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I won't be shopping at Toys-R-Us.

SHOOTER1
12-13-02, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I can skip Toys R Us from now on, and will send a note to the parent co. , about it, also will inform my coworkers also lets see how Scrooge R Us makes out in this economy slump taking a stand like that.

marinemom
12-13-02, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the article. I just returned about $250 worth of Christmas presents for the babies - and told them why.

Maybe if more folks knew about this, returns at ToysRUs will surpass the sales for the season.

Earle Comstock
12-13-02, 11:40 PM
Now it bugs me to come out of any store , mall etc. and there's always something going on where they are asking for something. The girl scouts ( I've got 5 neices) , salvation Army , blah , blah , blah , the list goes on and on. If I don't want to contribute I tell them in a polite way , no thanks. I have a real resentment toward the Salvation Army , but I would never ask them to leave my property ,espicially in the Christmas season. To ask the Marine Corp to leave , hello Mc Fly. If it wasnt for the Marine Corp and the other armed forces you wouldnt have the freedom to sell that over priced crap you sell to children every christmas. Well not to children , but their parents. I for one am boycotting all toys r us and their affiliates! Who's with us proud Americans. Cpl Comstock has spoken , carry on

firstsgtmike
12-14-02, 01:16 AM
Earle,

I disagree with you on Sally Annie. She and I have had a relationship going since 1957, and I still owe her.

I think marinemom had the right idea. Instead of just boycotting (they'd never miss you), buy $500 worth of toys, and then the next day return them with a copy of the article.

THEN, they could identify a REAL loss.

I have a philosophy. You don't know how ****ed off I am until I **** on your leg.

NEWB
12-14-02, 01:18 AM
Maybe we should rename them...We Be Toys and Sh** or Toys for Tw**s. They are not gonna get my or as many as I can tell, business anymore.

Earle Comstock
12-14-02, 03:50 AM
This is for you Firstsgtmike. First let me say that maybe in the day they were worth their weight in gold. No disrespect meant about that. I just happen to see a different side that rubbed me the wrong way. For a few years I was a computer , phone guy. I would wun the cable from point a to point b. Put a jack on 1 end and connect the other to the patch pannel. The patch pannel then got connected to the heart of the system. Anyways I'm getting a little off track. So I'm doing an install for the Salvation Army. This is a pretty big complex , right here in Seattle. Now the things that they are getting is not donated items, or used , or hand me downs. The items in question are brand new. I'm talking desks , phone systems ,file cabinets , pictures on the wall ,the list goes on. Everything that went into this building was brand new. So I'm thinking why isn't that money going to the people who really need it.Instead its going to see how new and up to date they can make their offices. Where is this money coming from? This just happened to be right around Christmas in 1993. So I'm going to the post office to mail something out and they got one of them bell ringers outside the post office ringing his bell. And believe it or not , for Seattle its cold this particular day. I asked him how much they pay him to ring that bell. He tells me he gets paid 5 dollars per hour . I got to go over to Salvation Army after the offices are completed and do some last minute detail work. Well I get to see all the people who work there and there new cars. Who paid for that. I have been so disturbed about all of that , that I have a good friend who went to school to become an officer in the Salvation Army. She has defended them so much that I no longer communicate with her. I know what I saw , I dont care what she says, thats not right.The money that is donated goes to the needy , not so a rich Salvation Army Officer can get richer at the expense of the needy.They will get nothing from me!Had to get that off my chest. Semper Fi Marines! Kill A Commie For Mommy:marine:

Barndog
12-14-02, 04:19 AM
In fact, this place p!ssed me off a long time ago. We Be Toys - been calling it that for years.

Think I'm going to use a little of this fine Senior Staff NCO Leadership (1stSgt Mike), and go and take a big ol dump rite in the local We Be Toys store's Corn Flakes today - with about 100 copies of the above article. Before that, I'll go hunt down a couple Marine Brothers to stand with me.

Semper FI

firstsgtmike
12-14-02, 05:35 AM
Earle, <br />
<br />
No question, no excuses, no argument. <br />
<br />
1957, I was driving to Palm Beach Fla to accept a job offer. (waiter, at the Breakers Hotel). I had an accident on the way down. Cost me all of me...

mpwildes
12-14-02, 05:45 AM
Marines and supporters I appreciate everyones help on this one. I have been really upset about this. I cannot believe that a large scale company like them would say not help the United States Marines. I mean we are out to help and these guys see no profit in it so they told us no. I mean why to help America's youth who are in need. This just show that american companies in into more profit than helping in the small things. Go Figure. I apprciate the support please keep it coming.

Semper fi

Kalbo
12-14-02, 09:32 AM
Sent them an email saying I won't be shopping at their store anymore, and regretted ever shopping there.

dnelson
12-14-02, 09:41 AM
Just wish I was still in Lancaster, I would be out front with a picket sign. That is my old home town. I have no reason to shop at Toys-r-us but may just have to so I can return them.

JinxJr
12-14-02, 10:48 AM
This is my fifth year as a Toys for Tots Campaign Coordinator. The first two years I got a lot of toys for my program from the Foundation that they received as a result of a court settlement between Hasbro and...Toys R Us. They screwed the Foundation, got caught, had to make good and have been *******s towards the program ever since. Coordinators received e-mails from the Foundation a couple of weeks ago telling them to vacate Toys R Us locations and to make toy purchases from vendors who support TFT like Wal-Mart, K-B Toys, Big Lots, K-Mart, etc. Toys R Us thinks that they can discredit the program by giving us the boot but, they are going lose a bundle and Toys for Tots will succeed in spite of this attempt to discredit the program. They aren't the only toy show in (any) town and underestimate the will of Marines on a mission.

Swabbie
12-15-02, 01:17 PM
It's too bad we couldn't have gotten the word out sooner. I would have had signs & flyers printed up and marched in front of the local Toys R Us stores.

We squids and jarheads are always nipping at each others heels, but that doesn't mean we're going to let anyone else get away with it!

Swabbie

Kalbo
12-15-02, 09:13 PM
Bump

Kegler300
12-16-02, 12:42 PM
Well then, Toys R Us can Kiss My Azz! Nuff said!:evilgrin:

LongShot
12-17-02, 04:51 PM
Check list...

DET Cord
C-4
#8 Blasting caps
Wire
Detonator

...oops, wasn't suposed to post that here.. oh well, off to Toy's R Us. :)

SHOOTER1
12-17-02, 10:23 PM
I sent them an Email they wont soon forgit, gitting the news out at work , and everywhere else i go on line, lets do it up right, Marines, git the word out now.

LHParker64
12-18-02, 08:13 AM
Heads up!!! Toys R Us is not the only chain that is on my boycot list. Last week I received an e-mail from a friend with an article stating that a Target store had refused to give monitary donation to a Vietnam Vets organization because they did not qualify. To me this sickening. Our bothers and sisters in the Marines and other services have given their blood, sweat, and lives to protect this country and it's freedom. Our Freedom. Thanks.

Sixguns
12-18-02, 10:15 AM
I have done a lot of work with the T4T Foundation. I personally know two retired Marine majors who are on staff. I believe this is all part of a self-inflicted wound that Toys R Us created for themselves. If you go to the T4T site, you will see that KB Toys is a national corporate partner of the foundation. I believe this came about from Toys R Us playing Scrooge and failing to exercise another year as a corporate sponsor. When KB stepped to the plate, Toys R Us found themselves missing out on a huge public relations booster. It seems that out of spite, Toys R Us has perpetuated the problem by closing their doors to any participation in the T4T program. Toys R Us is missing the bigger picture. Even though they were not a corporate partner, they could have benefited from the visibility generated from this community outreach program. I can't think of any ligitimate reason to not allow for collection at their stores. Obviously, with a box infront of the store, customers are more likely to go inside an spend a few more dollars in THEIR STORE to be able to make a donation upon exiting the Toys R Us. I would hate to be the public relations director/manager for Toys R Us about now. The comments given in response from Toys R Us shows no compasion or concern to be upstanding members of the community. Needless to say, the money Toys R Us is spending to advertise with its talking giraffe on TV will not pursuade many of us to venture into their stores. T4T offered this company a FREE opportunity to publicize themselves and impress upon the local communities that "buying here with make a difference in our community." Too bad Toys R Us. You blew it! I am so glad I shopped at the Exchange and Wal-Mart this year!!! Perhaps Toys R Us can get a copy of this thread and re-evaluate their position in time to save Christmas for the needy children who benefit from T4T. If not, it could be a long winter!

SF,

chicagousmc
12-18-02, 10:42 AM
I have sent my emails out to everyone I know asking them not to shp at Toys R Us until this is fixed. I also sent an email to the corprate offices and am going to mail a written letter of protest. This is an issue that should not be taken lightly and we should all do our part to get the word out.

chicagousmc
12-18-02, 12:33 PM
In light of this particular forum thread it is ironic that I just received an email from the Marine Corps Association. The following is the text of the email:

"The Marine Corps Association would like to encourage all of its Members to assist in this year's Toys for Tots endeavor sponsored by local Marine Reserve units throughout the nation. Recent analysis indicate smaller amount of donations than usual at many sites. We encourage you to support this cause with whatever resources you have available.

To find the local Reserve unit in your area and to arrange a drop off of gifts, please visit this site: http://www.toysfortots.org/2002/index.html. To learn more information about this generous organization please visit: http://gm12.com/r.html?c=163736&r=163418&t=48271637&l=1&d=55809304&u=http://www.toysfortots.org/2002/about.html&g=0&f=-1

Thank you for your help and have a great Holiday Season!

Semper Fidelis,

L.M. Palm
Major General, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.)
President and CEO
Marine Corps Association"

I find it disturbing that places like Toys "R" Us are having a potential effect on the Toys for Tots program. Please do what you can to help get toys to the local Marine Reserve Units. It's THAT important.

Semper Fi!

Sixguns
12-18-02, 03:21 PM
I logged onto the Toys R Us website and followed links to "Contact Us" and submitted the following reply:

Public Relations/Customer Relations

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I recently learned of some disturbing news about your company. It seems as though Toys R Us has ceased to support the Marine Corps Toys For Tots Program in all regards. I know the company was a corporate sponsor of the Toys For Tots program until this year. I understand the company's financial position may have contributed to breaking off monetary contributions or donations of toys to this 55-year-old program. A recently published article has been broadcasted throughout Marine Corps web sites and communities advising the men and women of the Corps of the company's decision to remove Toys For Tots collection boxes and Marines from your stores. I'm not sure how significant losing 172,000 active duty members, 40,000 reserve members, the thousands of former and retired Marines and the substantial amount of family members of the Corps will be to your company. I am discouraged at the company's position and actions regarding allowing Marines in local communities to collect and distribute toys to needy children from your store locations. Apparently, many Marines, besides myself, are upset by the company's decision too. I am including a link to one such Marine Corps community website that has discussed this Toys R Us policy.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2959&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

What is truly saddening is the fact that Marines have always been on call for this country. Even with the significant roles we are currently playing in national defense, we make time to give of ourselves and to our communities to give even the least fortunate child the benefit of a happy holiday season. After all Marines have done to allow all Americans to enjoy a happy holiday season, the news of your corporate policy to not support Toys For Tots truly dampens my spirits. I hope the decision not to support this program was one you can live with. I know my family and those who we are close with will not forget it. Best wishes for a prosperous holiday season. I hope our Marines who will not be with their families because duty has called them away will be more fortunate than you. It helps to know how greatly appreciated Marines are viewed by corporate America and Toys R Us.

Respectfully,

ME

Kalbo
12-18-02, 06:04 PM
I got the following reply from my email:

Thank you for contacting us.

We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to share yoru comments with us. I will forward your comments to our corporate office, where they will be reviewed by the appropriate parties. If you would like to learn more about our charitable efforts, please visit us online at www.toysrusinc.com.

Again, we appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and do hope to earn your business in the future.

Sincerely,

Beth Andrews
Guest Relations Manager

marinemom
12-18-02, 07:38 PM
Well, gentlemen, I have just returned from K-B Toys, replacing the items that I returned to ToysRUs.

The young lady who checked me out asked how I liked their store.My reply was that I liked it a lot better than ToysRUs, and her reply was "Are you from a Marine family?". Yes, I said. Her comment - "We are getting a lot of you folks this year - something about Toys for Tots."

Maybe 17 years old - but she asked me why I was shopping there and gave me a comment card, whch I promptly filled out. Who knows - maybe K-B will take up the slack next year.

ladileathrnek
12-19-02, 08:59 AM
I just sent Toys R Us a letter indicating that I am returning the toys I bought for a refund and I will be doing my shopping else where from now on. I am passing the article to friends and family with recommendation to do the same. Thanks for the info.