View Full Version : Marines replace stolen donations for cancer patient

thedrifter
05-06-06, 09:00 AM
To the rescue
Marines replace stolen donations for cancer patient
Iraq war veterans raise $1,600 in two hours
By Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell Staff Writer
Whittier Daily News

PICO RIVERA - The Marines landed Friday at a veterans' post recently stung by the theft of $1,500 in donated money intended to help a Vietnam vet hospitalized with cancer.

The group of about 60 Marines from the Marine Reserve Training Center in Pico Rivera presented the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6315 with $1,600 and a new Marine Corps flag to replace a weathered banner that had been flying outside the post on Durfee Avenue.

They then stuck around and helped at the post's Cinco de Mayo taco dinner fundraiser.

The Marines, members of the 5th Battalion, 14th Marines - November Battery, recently returned from a seven-month deployment in Iraq.

When Gunnery Sgt. Richard Diaz heard news reports about the burglary at the post a week ago in which a thief or thieves stole $1,500 raised during a fundraising event, he passed the hat at the training facility.

It took just two hours to collect $1,600 to more than replace the money post members had raised to help cancer patient Frank Herman, who is hospitalized at the Veterans Administration's West Los Angeles medical facility.

"It was overwhelming to see these young men, some 18, 19 years old, raising all that money so quickly," said 1st Sgt. William Toves from the training center.

"I was speechless."

Tom Rodriguez, the post's commander and a Marine Corps veteran, was clearly touched.

"To have these guys show up here means a lot," he said.

Friday's visit was just the latest in an ongoing outpouring of aid from the community on behalf of Herman that came after last week's theft, Rodriguez said.

Post members believe the burglar or burglars stayed inside the building after everyone had left the dance last weekend, then broke into a cabinet where funds from the event were stored and kicked down a door to get out. No arrests had been made as of Friday, sheriff's deputies said.

"There have been a lot of ups and downs - first feeling bad about losing the money, and then having the phone ringing off the hook with people wanting to donate," Rodriguez said.

So far, about $5,000 has been raised to benefit Herman, post officials said.

Blanca Estela Barrios, a singer from Pico Rivera who showed up to perform on Friday, contributed her tips and money from the sales of her compact discs to the cause.

While some Marines cooked carne asada on a barbecue grill outside the post Friday, others joined older veterans at the post's bar, or stood quietly in the main hall viewing photographs of soldiers who fought in past wars.

"Even though I have been to Iraq, it doesn't compare to what these guys went through in World War II, Korea and Vietnam," said Diaz.

Norma Herman, Frank Herman's wife, said she appreciated all the support from the Marines and other contributors.

"It really touches me that they are so young and they are doing this," said Herman. "The rest is wonderful because it allows me to be out of work and at my husband's bedside."

debbie.pfeiffer@sgvn.com

(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028

Ellie