PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Boot Camp

thedrifter
05-06-06, 07:54 AM
Operation: Boot Camp
KSFY

It's music rings familiar in every American's ear and its fanfare precedes the procession of all newly graduated marines, but despite the honored reputation of the marine Band San Diego, Michael Thorson of Sioux Falls is used to one similar refrain when discussing his musical mission. "Oh, the band. Oh, where do I begin because most of the people think, 'you're the band, you play instruments,' but you're a marine first, so you may have to do the marine thing too," says Michael.

In fact, Michael followed in the same footsteps of all new marines upon entering the corps. And more than two years in, the marine thing still includes all the physical training, skills qualifications, and martial arts practice of a regular marine, in addition to roughly four hours of rehearsal a day for some 400 gigs a year. "A marine musician is very hard to come across. You have to meet certain requirements even to be considered into the marine corps you know, and to be a marine corps musician, that's a notch higher."

But Michael says he'd give it all up, for one seemingly unusual request. "I'd like to deploy oversees to Iraq, but unfortunately you know, they need a certain amount of people to do a certain job, so unfortunately I have to stay here."

Michael says he realizes many people would think he's crazy for wanting to leave a mission set on the beaches of San Diego for a deployment based in the deserts of Iraq, but he says it's not about him. "I mean, no one wants to be in combat, but a lot of my friends, a lot of my fellow marines are over there, so I just want to be over there with them."

Whether they carry guns or drumsticks, that team perspective is something Michael says unites the entire corps from the start. "That's a marine thing. When you go to boot camp they break you down to point zero, you know, and then they build you up to a marine and that's just what's instilled in you."

For the onlookers who still don't understand, Michael says his desire to serve with his fellow marines is something you can't appreciate until you've lived by a certain hymn. "It's tough to put into words because it's just going to boot camp, you're made into a marine and that's what we do."

By Kent Erdahl

Ellie

thedrifter
05-07-06, 07:51 AM
Training for basic training
Updated: 5/6/2006 5:48:09 PM
By: Ken Jubie

In military time, it was just after 05:30 Saturday morning. For these 250 or so high school seniors at the Watervliet Rec Center, hitting the snooze button was not an option.

They are called "Poolees," soon to be Marine recruits from throughout the state, getting ready for basic training.

Sgt. Timothy Brady, USMC Drill Instructor said, "I just give them a thorough idea of what to expect once they get to Parris Island. So once they get down there, they're ready to train."

Cpl. Michael Darbouze said, "Knowing what I've been through, I can honestly say if I had something like this I would have been even more prepared."

They are learning to march, and figuring out that physical fitness is not an option. They also picked up some new vocabulary words.

"Speed, volume, and intensity. They just move fast, they sound off when they're told to, and they just show intensity and pride," said Brady.

The Poolees also got a taste for what it will be like out in the field when they no longer have mom's home cooking. They ate MRE's, which stands for Meals Ready to Eat, which come in little pouches. Each recruit also got some food for thought.

Poolee Carlos Paulino said, "So far I've learned not to talk back. Keep a straight face and don't smile. And just do what you're told."

Still, many said that along with learning discipline, they are having a lot of fun. In order to succeed, they will have to blur the lines of individuality, which instructors say is the biggest lesson of all.

Cpl. Darbouze said, "The key to success is to really rely on each other. The whole Marine Corps is basically a team. So there is an 'I' in Marines but no 'I' in team."

That is something the Poolees' instructors are guaranteed to drill into them, as they march on to basic training this summer.

Ellie

Too Watch Video..click link
http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/your_news/capital_region/default.asp?ArID=178197