PDA

View Full Version : Question?? Service Numbers

DELTA2ALPHA
12-12-02, 08:23 PM
Per "1sgtmikes" request to stir up more posting...I ask this question..??

When did the USMC change from service numbers to SSN#'s.And,the big one,what was the last service number issued??

I do not know the answer.Just wanted some input from the Search GURU's.

MIKE,

GyG1345
12-12-02, 08:32 PM
I have no reference data on this, but just for statrters, it seems like the MSNs disappeared in the very late '60s and the last MSNs I recall were in the 220s...

Matter of fact, have never seen any references to this since I've been on the I'Net!

Interesting topic, though.

DickG

firstsgtmike
12-12-02, 08:42 PM
Ifwe get enough responses, we can work it out. Pretty close.

DELTA2ALPHA came aboard in 1966 with a service number of 229xxxx. Does anyone have a number higher than that, and when did you come aboard?

I'm embarrassed, I was on recruiting in '68 and don't remember if service numbers were still being used then.

Mike

DELTA2ALPHA
12-12-02, 08:45 PM
Tanx for the quick response.My # was issued in late '66.The only reference seen on net was late '68..mid '69..and end of 1972.Still no ref. to last number issued.
Get on it guys.Know you will come through.
MIKE

fabboss
12-12-02, 08:48 PM
yes service numbers were still used in 68, last 4 digets were part of your kia/wia number in that south east asia vacation land knew some with 23 starting numbers early 70's when they went to ssn's probably 72/73 since i was on a army installation at the time and never received new dogtags like i would have if happened when was with the fmf

USMC THE VIETCONG FOR LUNCH BUNCH

DELTA2ALPHA
12-12-02, 08:49 PM
Sparrowhawk was just after me.Number please....
MIKE

thedrifter
12-12-02, 08:50 PM
I know that sometime in the late 60's they stopped issuing Service Numbers........Can remember my SRB with both my MSN and my SSN on all the pages..........Would be interesting to know what the last MSN was..........LOL.......Mine was in the 1800000 Bracket............LMAO.......Yep I'm one of the old Corps......

Sempers,

Roger:banana:

GyG1345
12-12-02, 08:59 PM
and got a 1345 prefix MSN--only the recruits from the Boston area got #s that high--after arriving at PISC, the rest of Plt #437 had 128/129 prefixes.

I also recall that Korean Vets had a K in front of their MSNs until about 1954-55 (admin only, not a permanent part of the MSN--rosters/orders/SRBs, etc.)

Of course, Reserves were shown as USMCR, and draftees as USMC SS.

Went back to RVN in summer of 70--pretty sure we were using SSNs then.

Just related info that triggered into my Mind Housing Group w/this question re MSN to SSN.

DickG

DELTA2ALPHA
12-12-02, 09:08 PM
AwRignt drifter,got you on the hook. <br />
Keep diggin. <br />
My IRR discharge in '72 had a MSN,but the VA card recieved had a SSN#. <br />
Saw replcements from 27th Marines <br />
with high 23 numbers in early...

firstsgtmike
12-12-02, 10:19 PM
I found a 268xxxx reference from July '70.

Also, I just had some memory jogged. Each AFEES had a block of serial numbers to work from. While the numbers were sequential within a given AFEES, twenty Marines could all enlist on the same day, at twenty different locations, and you would never be able to tell from their serial numbers.

Mike

GyG1345
12-12-02, 10:30 PM
Another point of recall came through--7s & 17s were reserved for WR/WMs...

DickG

MillRatUSMC
12-12-02, 10:51 PM
I believe that change was started in 1966, there was a mix bag.
Some were still be issued Service Numbers and others were issued their Social Security Number as ID.
Been checking on the change.
But the use of Social Security Numbers has its draw backs, case in point.
Some senior military leaders are up in arms, seem that their social security numbers are or were part of the congressinal record.
Thus it was public domain.
They than made used of those social security numbers to obtain a credit card in that person's name.
Some might have gotten their social security numbers there or from a site that has a great deal of information on how to get information on anyone.

http://www.glr.com/stalk.html
Start with a little info here and a little there, before you know it.
You have a big picture.
Also social security numbers might give an enemy a starting point.
To gather more information on our Officers.
This if for no other reason.
Might necessiate a change back to
Service Numbers" IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

DELTA2ALPHA
12-12-02, 11:19 PM
Good point 1sgt. Now that you jogged memories, I just remembered,Marines that enlisted after me had a lower MSN.Could be a factor for whatever reason.Not a big deal,as all Marines respect and show respect to their brother Marines,the point is now moot.
MIKE

wrbones
12-12-02, 11:59 PM
http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records/social_security_numbers.html

They say 1 January 1972 was when the changeover became effective.

Don't have a clue as to how to find the last one issued, though.

If you could find the Marine Corps Order fer that, or the manual the office pogues used, it might be a help.

firstsgtmike
12-13-02, 12:34 AM
Sometimes, when you start thinking out loud, it causes an epidemic. <br />
<br />
Another &quot;public domain&quot; for social security numbers. For years, discharged servicemen were advised to register their DD-214s at...

SHOOTER1
12-13-02, 09:20 PM
Damm drifter , you are old Corps, I thought i was doing good with 2020426 , that was May of 62, I never heard of them going to SSNs till i signed up for Army Special Forces in 72, when i asked what service no , they informed me to use my SSN, could have knocked me over with a feather.

Amtracs
12-14-02, 04:29 AM
I believe the 1stSgt is correct on the assignment of a block of serial numbers by different AFFES. I enlisted in Los Angeles on 24 Jul 57 and was assigned 1802171. A friend enlisted in San Francisco the same day an assigned a 16XXXXX. Even in 1958 16's were comming out. This really burnt my ass. In 1972 when my 18 was starting to get a little salt, they switched to Social Security numbers.

I never knew about recording you DD214 in the County Courthouse till a couple of years ago. Now I hear this might not be to wise because of identity theft.

It's a Brotherhood,
Dick Lavello (Tampa)

Reenlisted for aviation in 1960. Still waiting for an Amtrac to fly

JRtheSTAR
12-14-02, 01:22 PM
GyG1345, what is a WR? I was always told that numbers begining with 17 were for WM's but the only numbers for WM's that I've seen started with 7 and have never seen a 17
I have seen 27's and I believe a 29 but not sure of the 29. Mine is a 197 got it in August of 61.

GyG1345
12-14-02, 01:42 PM
Women Reserves were referred to as WRs through the end of WW II, shortly after WW II, when it was decided to retain them in service, they were called Women Marines.

The WMs that I knew all had 7s--but I don't personally recall any w/17s, although I believe that block was reserved for WMs.

DickG

GyG1345
12-14-02, 01:44 PM
Women Reserves WW II
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmchist/women.txt

moonspinner
12-14-02, 07:34 PM
I think the changeover was in 1972. I was in from 1961 to 1964 and my first four numbers were 1964

JRtheSTAR
12-14-02, 08:03 PM
Thanks GyG1345 for all the info. I've asked that question many times but never got an answer until now.
Hey moonspinner, by chance were you in platoon 367 in boot camp?

thedrifter
12-14-02, 09:08 PM
Yep!!!!!Shooter1, was issued 183XXXX in August of 60. I had joined the Marine Corps Reserve just before my senior yr in High School........It was a new program they started up. Spent a little over a yr in the Reserves, went Active duty August, 61. Most of the marines had numbers in the 19XXXXX.
Was suppose to get out in August of 65 but was involunteerly
extended on active duty for one yr.
JRtheSTAR, was wondering did you get caught up in that 1 yr extension in 65.............LOL

Sempers,

Roger

JRtheSTAR
12-14-02, 09:53 PM
Yeah Roger, I sure did. I came back from Iwakuni and tought I was getting short. Then along came the extension.

thedrifter
12-14-02, 10:02 PM
Same here J.R., thought I was getting short, left MCAS K-bay and went to El Toro, they gave me orders for Quantico, spent a yr there. Already had a job waiting for me with Ma-Bell.........Never did go to work there......LOL Re-enlisted and went to I & I Staff, Worcester, Mass.

Sempers,

Roger

SHOOTER1
12-15-02, 03:54 PM
yer rite drifter, i got that 12 mo. added on , actually im glad, or i would have had to go for another 4, I was on MP Duty at 29 Stumps, had the pleasure of going around the base giving other Marines the 24 hour notice for Cuba, they wouldnt let me go, a little later Nam came up , and i really wanted to go , lo and behold i got the involuntary ex and away i went , no regrets, but i did git back with all of me working properly, maybe not mentally all here, but im here

Lock-n-Load
12-15-02, 04:34 PM
A nervous Harry-Ass-Truman declared a National Emergency on 10Dec50...which meant all 18-35 ages would be drafted quickly...I volunteered for enlistment into the US Marine Corps and my service # was...1161183-USMC:marine: :marine: :marine:

Jim Reynolds
12-17-02, 05:36 PM
Enlisted 8 Nov. 65, service # 2175137. Thought it was a pretty salty number as most of my recruit buddies had numbers starting 22xxxxx

USMC-FO
12-17-02, 07:21 PM
202**** in Aug 62. Snagged too in the extension of 65. Ah the memories.....

Semper Fi Always !!

NEWB
12-20-02, 06:08 AM
Delta,
I agree with wrbones. I got out in 71 and they still had MSN's. By the way my was 20*****

Riven37
12-21-02, 09:17 PM
As I remember the Marne Corps changed over to SSN # in 1970. I was on the Rock waiting a fight home when the change came through.... my SN# is 253**********enlisted in 1968, enter 1969.

tkuhr
12-22-02, 12:08 AM
Jim R.
How DOES this thing work?!? I enlisted 22/10/65 and my number was 2178952 - one below me and three above and I think the rest were all 22*****. Was it maybe a regional thing? Tied into a time-of-enlistment thing? (For research, I think all the 22*****s at our swearing-in site, were reserves.)
No, belay that. The reserves were in boot camp and I have no idea what their MSN's were. I do recall a large difference in service numbers at the site in Chicago. Some may have been lower than mine. I am certain of the sequence of the four numbers in my MSN's. See way above; there should be SOME reasonible (in the military?) explanation.

Riven37
12-22-02, 10:21 AM
I think MSN had something to due with birthdates and the State you came from, could be wrong. this is funny all our time in grade and we can't even remember the simple things we all taken for granted during those days. Who remembers their M-124 rifle number? I don't.:banana:

SHOOTER1
12-22-02, 06:39 PM
I may be old but i can tell you this, issued M-14 rifle in boot, serial no 416270 , stock no 3370 , 1st Plt. C-2 Co, 1st Bn. LtCol. T. Stawicki Battalion Co. 1st Lt. P. J. Fehlen Series Commander (Fehlen the only Marine that i hope got what was coming to him, but that another story) GySgt. R. Armstrong Series Gunnery Sgt. , SSgt. W. E. Way Platoon Commander , and a great one, Sgt. J. L. Pacheco , the best Marine i ever met , JDI, Sgt. H. Broadhead, a good guy, and Sgt. J. Clark, my nemissis, what fights we got into , come on bones dust off the memories, and go for it.

wrbones
12-23-02, 12:14 AM
I did 76-83 workin on helos. My knees got busted up and I got out.

Yer SSN was yer MSN when I went in.

Had a bit of confusion in boot. We got the butt bumpers I xalled them, packs and ruck sacks, then about half way thru, they took those away and gave us the ALICE packs. The old barracks cover was turned in for the pi ss-cutter. I was with platoon 1083. One assistant DI was replaced before I ever knew his name. Second day outta recieving a big fat **** tried to whip him in the gear locker. They carried the fat guy out on a stretcher ( he wasn't moving) and we never saw that DI again. Had S/Sgt Knox fer a SDI til he picked up Gunny and became Company Gunny. Sgt MacCarthy (sp.) was our hard core DI. Can't remember the other one.A black Sgt who was Tai Kwon Do champ of the base at the time. He became SDI when Knox was promoted. Got Sgt Pennypacker to fill in for the rest of the third phase.

Had one guy not secure his weapon at the range once before he turned around to ask for help. Yep. Just exactly like that scene in Full Metal Jacket. Didn't hit anyone, too late fer anyone to duck and cover before his magazine was empty. PMI caught hell, the screw-up didn't make it thru boot either.

I remember hittin' the fleet. Worked fer a S/Sgt Green. My first NCOIC. There was Cpl Frelix, who got out, became a retread after I got out and last I heard of him he was stationed at Miramar getting ready to retire. Good Marine. Risked his stripes fer me once, but that's another story. My first CO was LtCol A.C. Blades. We were a squadron full of misfits and sick lame and lazy. We were called AC's Magnificent Misfits til he got promoted and transfered out. Sgt New, Sgt Beach, who later went Warrant Officer and was transferred to the east coast. He was a re-tread who was on the drill field at one time. Good Marine, but focused on his career ahead of his troops.Gunnery Sergeant Chas. A. Wright. Best Man I ever worked for. He picked up Master Sergeant several months before I got out. Sgt Radke, Cpl Williams, Cpl Jones, Sgt Harewood. He picked up S/Sgt just before I got out, I think.Lots of names. Lots of good people. Gunnery Sergeant Johnson. Cpl Boyce. CPl Gonzalez. S/Sgt Mercado. Lots of good people.

There were a few who died here and there. Two different Marines I knew and partied with named Anderson. Both died in helo crashes. Couple others I knew I was on the clean up detail after the crash investigators were done with the site. Loggins got killed by a serial killer of all things. He was a good Marine, but liked to live on the wild side when he was off duty.

Lots of memories. Most pretty good, some make ya wanta call it the suck, the crotch, the big green weinie...;)

Semper Fi, Marine Corps!

David Jameson
06-08-07, 02:00 PM
Number deleted for secruity reason for this party.... in Oct 71

Ellie

Zulu 36
06-08-07, 02:37 PM
I got a MSN in July 1971 too. Still know it, but can't remember my boot camp rifle serial number anymore.

davblay
06-08-07, 05:55 PM
My MSN 252****, March 1969! Never knew how they come up with that number!

10thzodiac
06-08-07, 06:08 PM
The Military has used the Social Security number as an identification number for the Army and Air Force since July 1, 1969, the Navy and Marine Corps since January 1, 1972, and the Coast Guard since October 1, 1974.

Old Marine
06-08-07, 07:14 PM
I enlisted in 1953 and they game a 1400000 Service Number.

I enlisted in California and some guys that enlisted after I did who were from states like Texas got 1300000 Service Numbers. Must not have had as many enlistees as California.

When they changed the rank structure I was a Sgt (E-4) for 5 years. Then I made Sgt (E-5) and was an E-5 for 5 more years. Ten years as a Sgt is not bad.

semperfi170
06-09-07, 12:01 AM
I do believe 10thZ has it right! I enlisted 680404 in Lima OH and was given a MSN of 245xxxx. Switched to SSN while I was still on active duty in 1972.

bigdog43701
06-09-07, 06:01 AM
MSN did take effect in january 1972. enlisted july 70. my MSN 2675397

capmarine
06-09-07, 07:47 PM
26855**
entered 6aug.1970

capmarine
06-10-07, 04:17 PM
RVN,colt m-16 678143