PDA

View Full Version : Former D-Y standout readies for a run at the Marines

thedrifter
05-04-06, 01:47 PM
Former D-Y standout readies for a run at the Marines
By Dave Colantuono
Thursday, May 4, 2006

Up at the crack of dawn for a long day of installing irrigation systems with his father, followed by a two-hour workout at the gym before heading home to repeat the cycle the next day. Oh, and don't forget the 5-mile run.

Sound like a hard day?

For D-Y graduate Payton Preston, these days will seem like a walk in the park compared to what's in store for the 2005 graduate in the coming months. The former Dolphin running star will head to Paris Island Sept. 11 for what will be the most intensive 13 weeks of his life.

"Ever since I was a little kid, I've been interested in the military," says Preston. "I think the Marines are the hardest to get through; I want to challenge myself as much as possible."

That need to meet a challenge propelled Preston to a stellar cross-country career at D-Y. "Payton is very determined, with a great work ethic," says Cathy Whitelaw, who coached Preston during his cross-country career. "You didn't have to tell him twice to do a workout. He was a quiet leader who led by example and someone the kids really looked up to."

Was she surprised at Preston's decision to enter the military? "Not really. That's just Payton; that's just something he'd do. I think he'd be excellent at it; he's just such a determined kid."

Much of that determination was on display during his junior year at D-Y, when the talented runner placed 19th at the state cross country meet and was selected a Boston Globe All-Scholastic.

Growing up in Dennis with his parents, Brenda and Tim, and two younger sisters, Preston was a typical Cape Cod kid who enjoyed spending time with his family, going to local beaches or playing baseball with neighborhood friends.

While baseball was his first love, by the time he reached middle school, he found the game a little too slow for his liking and knew it was time for a change.

Described by Whitelaw as a natural runner, Preston got his first taste of cross-country success while at Nathaniel Wixon Middle School. "He played rec baseball until he was 12," says his mother. "But he decided it was a little too laid back for him, he started running at Wixon, and knew right away that he'd stick with it until he graduated."

"He was untouchable at distance running in middle school; he was a standout in seventh and eighth grade and maintained it in high school," says Whitelaw. "He was a precision runner who would always hit all his marks; he just understood how to run."

His mother, who was a staple at all her son's meets, loved to watch Payton run. "I miss it," she says. "I have withdrawals from going to his meets. He gets in such a zone when he runs, it just came so natural for him."

"That's the fun part, when you just look down and your legs are moving and you don't feel anything until your feet hit the ground," he says.

A call to serve

Following his senior year, in which he captained the cross-country team, Preston was recruited by a number of schools, but was unsure what he wanted to do.

"He wasn't sure about school," says Whitelaw. "He was always one for thinking different than everyone else."

Those different thoughts led Preston to inquire about the Marines, something that had been on his mind since his youth, when he would often be spotted dressed in camouflage while playing with his friends.

Last summer, Preston knew it was time for a change and a chance for adventure. He often spoke with family friend Lance Payne, who had served as a scout sniper in the Marines for eight years, about life in the Corp. By the time fall came around, Preston had made up his mind about the Marines, but he still had one big hurdle to overcome.

"Mom was last to know," laughs Brenda, when asked about how she learned of her son's decision. "I think he was afraid to tell me - he knew I'd be upset. I was teary-eyed, but I'm really proud of him; I think it's a noble thing for him to do in this day and age."

The family had a number of discussions to ensure his decision was based on the right factors and not the result of recruiting tactics or the influence of friends. A meeting with the Marine recruiting officer in Hyannis relieved much of their anxiety, while confirming the clarity of their son's decision.

"People told me I should have seen it coming," jokes his mother. "He has been playing army with the friends since he was seven. I knew he was struggling with what to do in the future - I'm just so proud of him; he's a great kid."

Following his 13 weeks of basic training, Preston hopes to be home for Christmas before being assigned for additional training in his specialty of accounting and supply. His first deployment will most likely take place toward the end of 2007.

Is the affable 19 year old ready for the rigors of life in the Marines? "I'm excited about it now, but I'm sure I'll be nervous the week before I go," he says. "They said just bring running shoes and $20; they'll take care of the rest."

Ellie