PDA

View Full Version : Afghan war vet fights new war on home front

thedrifter
05-04-06, 11:21 AM
Afghan war vet fights new war on home front
His weapon is a bicycle

By TOM KANE

MILFORD, PA — For Marine Corporal Joshua Getts, who served in Afghanistan, the war is over. Now, he’s deeply involved in another war—a war against cancer.

Getts, 23, very much a Marine in every respect, is not just fighting his own cancer war; he is in a campaign to help others fight theirs.

Like the other famous cyclist fighting cancer, Lance Armstrong, Getts is now a cyclist who is dedicated to raising money and awareness about cancer, He will participate in the fifth annual 24 Hours of Booty—a grueling 24-hour charity road race on the gently rolling Booty Loop in Meyer Park outside of Charlotte, NC.

“Regardless of how the name came about, the Booty Loop is the most popular cycling and running loop in Charlotte,” Getts said. Once a year, the three-mile cycling and running route is closed to traffic to host cyclists from around the country as they ride in honor and support of the cancer community.

He will be racing to raise money for cancer research and cancer sufferers’ relief. “Already, I have been given money from the Marine Veterans Club, where I spoke, and from several private individuals who will sponsor me by donating money based on how long I race,” he said.

Gett’s story is a compelling one.

While serving with the Marines in Afghanistan in June 2004, he noticed a lump on the back of his left shoulder and, in true Marine Corps tradition, ignored it. Later, while running, his knee became swollen and he was forced to make a medical appointment where, in passing, he mentioned the lump.

“Two hours later, I was on a plane headed for Germany,” he said. “I didn’t exactly know why. My final destination was the VA Medical Center in Washington, DC and the bad news was laid on me. I had developed bone cancer.”

Most of the bones in his shoulder were replaced.

“I never had to stay in the hospital for more than one day,” he said. “Everything blurred for a couple of weeks. It was surreal.”

For the past year, Getts has been through four surgeries, including work on his knee that claimed his joint’s ability to absorb the impact encountered during running. “I, then, plunged into a depression after realizing I would never physically be the same. My running days were over.”

The barracks where he was convalescing had many magazine and books. The first book he picked up was “It’s Not About the Bike” by Lance Armstrong.

“I had heard about the guy, so I read his book and got the idea to start riding a bike,” he said. “I wasn’t into fund raising yet, but was looking for races to join.”

He watched the Tour de France everyday on TV and began studying cycling. “Once I was better, I rode as much as possible,” he said.

In his first attempt at the loop race, he came up short of his goal of racing 400 miles. “I only rode a measly 390 miles,” he said. Still, his performance shattered the previous race record by 64 miles.

Gett said that his “can-do” spirit could be traced to lessons he learned in the Marines.

“I’ve learned a lot about discipline and about not being afraid,” he said. “For one split second, I thought I was going to die. Then, I thought ‘This is Okay, I can do this.’ After that, I knew I wasn’t going to die.”

Gett, who met with the Pike County Commissioners on April 26, will be aided in his fundraising by the local chapter of the American Cancer Society.

“I’m amazed how people are coming forward to support me, even though I just came to the county a few weeks ago,” he said. “It makes me want to train harder.”

Ellie