PDA

View Full Version : Londonderry Habitat house to be dedicated to hometown heroes

thedrifter
05-04-06, 05:43 AM
Thursday, May 4, 2006
Londonderry Habitat house to be dedicated to hometown heroes

By JANELLE RUCKER
Gazette Staff Writer

In June, the land at 61 Jason Lane in Londonderry will go from being a simple piece of property to the site of a Hometown Heroes House.

To honor the two Ross County soldiers killed in Iraq, Pfc. Gavin Colburn and Lance Cpl. Aaron Reed, Scioto Valley Habitat for Humanity has decided to dedicate the house in their name.

"It's a wonderful idea," said Tina Stevens, Colburn's mother. "A great tribute. Hopefully it can be an inspiration to other people."

Both Stevens and Reed's mother, Sara Duvall, are participating in the establishment of the house, from fundraising to construction.

On the fundraising side, Stevens made a crocheted coverlet that she is donating to the organizations annual fundraiser.

She makes them all the time for family and friends, Stevens said, but the one in the auction is the first patriotic, red, white and blue one she's ever made.

Duvall is donating an autographed copy of J.K. Rowling's latest book in the Harry Potter series, "The Half-Blood Prince."

The Harry Potter series has a special meaning to Duvall, a source of common entertainment for her, Reed and his siblings who would share the books and watch the movies together.

The series also served as a nickname for Reed, who was often called "Potter" by his fellow Marines who thought he looked like the book's lead character.

"After Aaron's death, in the early weeks of my grief, I did crazy things and one of those crazy things was that I wrote to J.K. Rowling ... and told her about Aaron and his nickname," Duvall said.

In November, Duvall received two autographed copies of the book from the author and a letter suggesting that she try to sell one of the books and donate the money to "a charity that Aaron would have approved of."

That charity was Habitat for Humanity, a group Duvall had volunteered with years earlier Reed thought was "way cool," she said.

Steven's coverlet and Duvall's book will be available in the organizations Charity Auction Saturday. The proceeds from the sales go toward materials for the June Build.

Other items up for bids include a CD player, tools, lamps, framed photographs and Longaberger baskets.

Both mothers plan on being hands on with construction.

"I'll be there," Duvall said. "Everyday, from start to finish."

Duvall is even enlisting the help of some of Reed's friends.

"With God's grace and His guidance, we've moved forward to this point," she wrote in a letter to his friends. "I'm excited to see how God is going to use folks like you to get this job done."
Support

April 22 marked the one year anniversary of Colburn's death in Iraq, a day Stevens spent with family and friends.

There was a family cookout and some of Colburn's "Army buddies" came and they all visited his grave, Stevens said.

"We're doing pretty well," she said. "You have to go on. Gavin would have wanted us to go on."

During that difficult time, Duvall said she spoke with Stevens to offer any support she could, a gesture Stevens plans to reciprocate during Reed's one year anniversary in early August.

Until then, Duvall and Stevens are working to establish a physical establishment celebrating their son's lives and deaths.

"Good can come out of bad, even if the bad was as awful as the kind we have experienced in losing Aaron and Gavin," Duvall said. "Right now I'm focusing on going for all the good I can get."

(Rucker can be reached at 772-9372 or via e-mail at jrucker@nncogannett.com)

Originally published May 4, 2006

Ellie