PDA

View Full Version : From one vet to another: thanks

thedrifter
05-04-06, 05:38 AM
From one vet to another: thanks
E. Northport native, 21 and back from Iraq, lets fellow comrades know what it meant that they didn't forget

BY CHRISTINE ARMARIO
STAFF WRITER; Staff writer Bill Mason contributed to this story.

May 4, 2006

At 21 years old, Cpl. Jaret Radimer has trained Iraqi soldiers, fought insurgents and received a Bronze Star for rescuing his platoon sergeant from a roadside bomb attack that killed one Marine and injured 10 others.

These days, daily life for the East Northport native is a bit more mundane. Since returning early last month, Radimer said he has fished and helped one of his brothers with contract work.

Last night, he paid a visit to the Northport American Legion, where he met with veterans to thank them for a shipment of protective goggles sent during his time in Iraq.

"You guys have definitely saved 18- and 19-year-olds in Iraq," he told a room of 35 veterans. "It means a lot. I just want to say thank you."

The Northport American Legion, Post 694, has sent about 200 pairs of the polycarbonate goggles, manufactured by Eye Safety Systems, to various troops, said Post Cmdr. Damon McMullin.

The Marines were provided with the same eye-saving goggles. Radimer said they often needed to be replaced because they break, and Marines would often give them to Iraqi troops.

"We need to start getting the Iraqis more gear like us, so they can survive what we can," said Radimer, who has another year of duty left in the Marine Corps that will be spent training in the United States.

The infantry squad leader said he joined the Marines after graduating from Northport High School in 2003, in part because he didn't want to attend college right away and because of his admiration for his grandfather, who served in World War II.

He was sent to boot camp in South Carolina and by February 2004, he was in Al Qaim, Iraq, near the Syrian border.

"I didn't really have a choice once I joined," Radimer said of his deployment to Iraq. "But if someone's going to be over there, I might as well be over there. I understand what's going on over there."

After seven months guarding the Syrian border, patrolling and working with Iraqi police, he did another year of training in California with his unit, the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, "29 Palms," of Southern California. In September of last year, he made his second trip, this one to Ramadi, Iraq, "pretty much trying to keep the insurgents at bay."

It was during that trip that he received the Bronze Star from Vice President Dick Cheney.

But it was speaking in front of the veterans that seemed to test his nerve. "That's the most nervous that I've ever been," Radimer said as he left the legion last night. "I was more nervous than when I was over there [in Iraq]."

Radimer said that he has no regrets about being sent to Iraq.

"I still haven't changed my opinion of why I went over there," Radimer said. "I've seen what we've done over there. We train so many Iraqi army soldiers and send them out to different cities and they know how to patrol, and drive trucks ... to watch them do a good job is awesome."

Staff writer Bill Mason contributed to this story.

Ellie