PDA

View Full Version : 22nd MEU home from Iraq combat tour

thedrifter
05-03-06, 06:54 PM
22nd MEU home from Iraq combat tour
By Christian Lowe
Times staff writer

It was an action-packed deployment: two months in Iraq; a training stint in Africa; and port calls in France, Spain and Italy. But after nearly six months overseas, the Camp Lejeune, N.C.-based leathernecks of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit are finally home.

Hand-painted “welcome home” signs, waving families and kisses greeted the 2,200 Marines on May 2 and 3 as they returned from the ships of Expeditionary Strike Group 8.

Leathernecks from Bravo and Charlie companies, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, marched past the expectant throng of well-wishers, with children jumping into the arms of their returning parents.

CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters thundered overhead as crews from Marine Corps Air Station New River, N.C.-based Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 — the MEU’s air-combat element — flew into their home base from the amphibious assault ship Nassau.

“I just want to see my wife and spend time with her,” said Sgt. Anthony Sanders, a squad leader with Bravo Company. “I’m glad to be home.”

MEU Marines served a two-month tour in Hit, Iraq, in January, sweeping the upper Euphrates River Valley for weapons caches and insurgent enclaves. The Marines lived alongside Iraqi army forces, helping train them for the counter-insurgency mission they will assume as U.S. forces are drawn down.

The MEU’s deployment was not without cost, however. Thirty-nine Marines were wounded; three were killed. Cpl. Orville Gerena, Lance Cpl. David S. Parr and Pfc. Jacob D. Spann were killed Feb. 6 when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb near their combat outpost in Hit.

During Bravo Company’s march into the homecoming celebration held in the 8th Marines’ gymnasium at Lejeune, the men snapped their heads to the right to honor one of the unit’s wounded, HM3 Elmer Dinglasan, who helped welcome his comrades home.

Dinglasan has been undergoing therapy in Washington, D.C., since mid-January after losing his legs in a mine blast during a night patrol in the desert north of Hit.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-04-06, 05:58 AM
‘No better feeling in the world’
May 04,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Lt. Col. William Lucas waved at the family he hadn’t seen in months, then snapped to attention.

Lucas stood with the rest of his fellow Marines in the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit’s command element, after stepping off the bus at Camp Lejeune Wednesday for the first time since returning from deployment to Iraq and beyond.

The stiff formation was brief. The MEU’s commanding officer, Col. Kenneth McKenzie, took one look at his troops, smiled and said the words the Marines and the anxious families were waiting for.

“Fall out!”

Lucas hurried to his family — wife Suzin and twin 4-year-olds, Shane and Kayla — wrapping his arms around his kids and kissing his wife. He got a chance to play with his children and marvel at the “Welcome Home Daddy” sign they made for him.

“It’s wonderful, absolutely wonderful,” he said about seeing his family again. “I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been thinkin

Ellie