PDA

View Full Version : 911 Marines

Osotogary
05-03-06, 08:57 AM
Here's a book that all of you, especially Tankers, might find interesting. The book is titled: Dial 911 Marines- Adventures of a Tank Company in Desert Shield and Desert Storm by Joe Feitus as told by Chris Freitus, Company Excutive Officer.
Here is one of the many reviews.
I was an Army tanker during Desert Storm so when I saw this book I had to snap it up and see how the Marine tankers did things. This book is a very interesting read and provides a grunt eye view of Desert Storm from the turret of a Marine Tank. Most of the book deals with deployment and training. When the ground war finally starts you feel as if you are riding in the turret with the author. He does not bore you with tons of names or tries to show you how clever he is by using all kinds of technical jargon. The writing is concise and even if you do not have any knowledge of Marine Corps Armor Operations you can still read this book and enjoy it.

I don't know if this book has ever been mentioned on this website. I checked but coudn't find any prior reference. If it has, I apologize.

jennifer
05-03-06, 12:19 PM
THANKS OS... ILL HAVE TO GO BUY THAT AT BARNES AND NOBLES... THEYLL HAVE IT THERE RIGHT? I LOOOVE TO READ AND IM CURRENTLY WOKRING ON READIN THE BOOKS ON THE COMMANDANTS READING LIST... :marine:

Osotogary
05-03-06, 12:52 PM
Jennifer-
Many moons ago I decided that if I was going to read books about the military, especially those books written about periods of conflict, I would read only those books written by Colonels on down through the most basic rank of Grunt. I think that it was a wise decision because I found out that there was a wealth of information provided, along with tons of cross references, by all those who actually participated in combat and consequently wrote about their experiences. Most of my reading material comes from the public library system in my area of South Florida. Dial 911 Marines was on the library shelf on one of the days I was browsing for something to read. You may be able to save yourself some money and see if this book is in your library system. Just in case that it isn't, here's another reference for you. This book was published by: New American Publishing Company, 3033 Waltham Way, McCarran, Nevada USA
Copyright @2002 by Joe Freitus.

maverickmarine
05-03-06, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this book. I am always interested in finding new books about our Corps. I eyeballed it on amazon and found that you can grab it is as cheap as $10.24.

maverickmarine
05-03-06, 01:01 PM
Disregard that. You can get it for $6.00.

rktect3j
05-03-06, 01:34 PM
You all might be interested in the book "Storm on the Horizon" Another shield/storm book from the viewpoint of being on the front lines. Excellent read.

jennifer
05-03-06, 03:18 PM
thanks jeff... :D i shop on Amazon a lot...

maverickmarine
05-03-06, 03:22 PM
rktect3j- thanks, I will look into that.

Jennifer- No problem. I tear Amazon and Ebay up! There is also another one but not sure if there is one in your area called Craigslist.com. Just go to it and find your city and click on it and it will show local classifieds. Kind of like ebay without the shipping costs.