PDA

View Full Version : Chesco family mourns loss of their son

thedrifter
05-03-06, 07:20 AM
Posted on Wed, May. 03, 2006
Chesco family mourns loss of their son
He wanted his parents to be proud of him. He was killed in Iraq.

By Kathleen Brady Shea
Inquirer Staff Writer

Yesterday's mail brought a searing reminder of loss to a grieving Cochranville family: a letter sent a week before a beloved 25-year-old Marine died in Iraq.

Warren and Jill Hardy, the parents of Cpl. Brandon M. Hardy, fought back tears as they read it to themselves.

"Maybe at some point I can share his words, but not now," Jill Hardy said, struggling to regain her composure.

Brandon Hardy was an assault amphibious vehicle crewman who was killed Friday in Anbar province "while conducting combat operations against enemy forces," according to a Marine Corps statement.

What has helped anchor the family, Jill Hardy said, is their strong Christian faith and an outpouring of support from the community.

"We will never be able to put into words how grateful we are," she said, describing a steady flow of food and flowers. One neighbor tied yellow ribbons around every mailbox on their cul-de-sac, she said.

Even more comforting is the knowledge that their son, who was attached to the Third Amphibious Assault Battalion, First Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., fulfilled a lifelong goal: serving his country and making his parents proud.

In an earlier letter that Jill Hardy keeps in the family Bible, Brandon Hardy said that "no matter what happens," he wanted his parents to be able to hold their heads high and say, "That's my boy."

As the accolades have accumulated, the Hardys feel blessed by their son's legacy.

A message from his commander, Second Lt. Raj Mistry, read: "Your son is a hero. He was one of the bravest and hardest working Marines in my platoon. I enthusiastically promoted him to the noncommissioned officer rank of corporal last month."

Jill Hardy said even she was awed by her son's work ethic. She said he held a variety of jobs from age 14 - from working at a horse farm to cooking at Black Rock Retreat, a Christian center in Quarryville.

"You never had to tell him to do the dishes or mow the lawn," she said. "He just did those things."

As the oldest of four children, Brandon Hardy was "fiercely protective" of his sisters, Kristin "Kiki," 21, and Keri, 19, and was an "awesome role model" for his younger brother, Chad, 16, his mother said.

Among his many interests: hunting, fishing, baseball, "anything cowboy" and baking.

"He could make some mean chocolate chip cookies," his mother said.

She said her son planned to share those passions with Samantha DiGrazio, his fiancee. The two became engaged on Feb. 2 and scheduled a Jan. 27 wedding, Jill Hardy said, describing DiGrazio as "devastated and broken-hearted."

Jill Hardy can trace her son's interest in the military to his childhood.

"As a 10-year-old, he watched news coverage of Desert Storm and wanted to go," she said.

Jill Hardy said the family talked about the dangers but her son "never wavered," leaving for the Air Force a month after he graduated from Octorara High School in June 1999.

After five years of service, he felt that he "wanted to do more," said his mother, so he relinquished his rank of Air Force staff sergeant and enrolled in Marine boot camp.

At Parris Island, he contracted double viral pneumonia and spent four days in the infirmary. But the experience strengthened his resolve to become a Marine, his mother said.

She said a Bible verse from Timothy exemplified her son's philosophy: "I have fought the good fight. I have finished the course. I have kept the faith."

As his wife shared stories about their son, Warren Hardy busied himself outside, planting some perennials given to the family as remembrances. Among them were a bleeding heart and an iris.

He positioned the latter in a bed surrounding an American flag flying at half-staff. The name of the iris: immortality.

Funeral services for Brandon Hardy will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Calvary Monument Bible Church, 1660 Mine Rd., Paradise, Pa., followed by interment at the adjoining cemetery. Family and friends may call tomorrow at the church from 6 to 9 p.m. and on Friday from 9 to 10 a.m.

Donations can be sent to the Cpl. Brandon M. Hardy Memorial Scholarship Fund, in care of Octorara School District, 228 Highland Rd., Suite 1, Atglen, Pa. 19310.
Contact staff writer Kathleen Brady Shea at 610-701-7625 or kbrady@phillynews.com.

Ellie