PDA

View Full Version : WWII vets together again

thedrifter
05-03-06, 07:10 AM
Article Launched: 05/03/2006 07:11:26 AM EDT
WWII vets together again

Robert Kraut and Phil Baker grew up in West York and became Marines together.

By TERESA McMINN
For the Daily Record/Sunday News

At bottom: · LONGTIME FRIENDS
May 3, 2006 — It started with a letter Robert Kraut wrote last week to his longtime buddy, Phil Baker:

"Hi Phil. Surprise! I'm sure you remember this day. After all, it only happened 64 years ago ..."

When Baker got that letter, memories of joining the military - with his childhood buddy - came flooding back.

"He looked at it and said, 'My God. May 1, 1942,'" said Baker's wife, Charlotte.

Monday, the anniversary of that date, Baker and Kraut reunited at Smokey Bones Barbeque & Grill in West Manchester Township to mark their 64th anniversary of joining the Marines. During lunch and over a couple beers, they reminded each other of times they shared growing up as neighbors and schoolmates in West York.

"We played on the 1938 varsity basketball team," Kraut said of their senior year at West York High School. "That's when small guys could play basketball."

Baker and Kraut were 21 years old when they decided to enlist in the service. They knew a military draft was imminent and enlisted so they could choose their military branch.

"It was a Friday or Saturday night, we were in the Spring Garden Club," said Baker. "I said, 'I'll pick you up Monday, and we'll go enlist in the Marine Corps.'" Baker and Kraut left from Lancaster for Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., for basic training, where they spent eight weeks before being separated into different units and serving in the Pacific.

Before basic training, they were "pretty wild" kids, said Baker and Kraut, who talked of jumping street cars and tipping over outhouses. Once, they locked an owner out of his restaurant. But when they left for the Marines, they realized they were about to grow up in a hurry.

"The first night ... we were pretty sad," Baker said.

"I had never been away from home," Kraut said.

They described Parris Island as "sand, fleas and sand."

Their military careers took them in different directions around the world. Baker initially went to Quantico, and Kraut to radio school in New York. They eventually worked apart in different areas of the Pacific.

After the war ended, Kraut and Baker didn't see each other for a few decades, they said, as they got jobs, married and raised their families.

"We lost touch for about 40 or 50 years," Kraut said. "We each went our own way."

Today, at age 85, Baker and Kraut are in generally good health and are grandparents. Kraut, of Manchester Township, is retired from Print-O-Stat, where he was once president. Baker, who lives in York Township, retired as a sales manager for York Auto Parts, where he is now employed part-time two days per week.

The WWII veterans had seen each other only on rare occasions during the last several years, but Monday's reunion appears to have reaffirmed their friendship and connection to each other.

"They'll keep in touch more now," Charlotte said. "We'll take Bob out for breakfast. ... We won't take no for an answer."

LONGTIME FRIENDS

Last week, Manchester Township resident Robert Kraut sent a letter to his longtime friend Phil Baker of York Township. The note was to remind Baker of a special anniversary they share: on May 1, 1942, they enlisted in the U.S. Marines together.

Kraut enclosed a copy of a newspaper clipping from 64 years ago that featured their high school photos and announced their joining the military.

Monday, the WWII veterans met for lunch to celebrate their anniversary, share memories of the war and talk about growing up together in West York.

Ellie