PDA

View Full Version : Marines land to lend hand to youth park

thedrifter
05-03-06, 07:04 AM
Published - May, 3, 2006
Marines land to lend hand to youth park
Angela Fail
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

A community came together Tuesday to provide its children with an appreciation for history, an outlet for personal fitness and a safe place to play.

About 100 residents and a corps of 200 Marines rolled up their sleeves at the site of the Perdido Kid's Park, a 22,000-square-foot playground across from the Landfall subdivision on Gulf Beach Highway. Organizers have raised $225,000 of their $250,000 goal for the park, which is set to open Sunday.

On Tuesday, volunteers of all ages and skill levels donated their time and talents as they set up equipment, poured concrete and began building ramps for the first completely wheelchair-accessible park in Escambia County, said Evie Davis, park president.

Construction will take five days, she said. The project has been in the works for more than a year.

"We've struggled against four hurricanes," Davis said. "We're so proud that we've come this far. It's taken a lot of pushing and shoving, but it seems like it's finally all coming together."

Davis said in addition to the slides, swings and monkey bars, the park will have some true Pensacola personality.

The park will incorporate local landmarks such as Fort Barrancas, Fort McRee and the lighthouse on Pensacola Naval Air Station. The Blue Angels will be represented, and a toddlers' play area will be shaped like a sea turtle. The entrance to the park will feature ocean-themed artwork from local artists.

Even the youngest of Pensacolians can appreciate the flair.

"I can't wait to come to it," said Mary Grace Reeves, 10. "Not all parks are able to have the things that are important to our area."

Pfc. William Wolosin, 20, said children like Mary will keep his fellow Marines at work this week.

"We're here for the kids," he said. "When you have time off, you've got to do what you can to help out. I feel like I'm really accomplishing something for this community."

Ellie