PDA

View Full Version : Unshakable spirit isn't unassisted

thedrifter
05-01-06, 04:32 AM
Unshakable spirit isn't unassisted
BY JEANNE HOVANEC
Times Correspondent

CROWN POINT | What was supposed to be a yuletide family reunion with big brother home from his stint in the Marines turned on a patch of black ice into devastating tragedy for the Nimetz family.

Christmas Eve 2003 Jake Nimetz was driving with his 18-year-old brother, Joe, in the passenger seat when he hit the ice in Wheatfield and slid into a tree.

Taken to Porter hospital, Jake was hurt badly, but eventually fully recovered. Joe wasn't expected to make it through the night, but mom Debbie Nimetz credits Joe's will to live for beating grim odds.

"I think the hardest thing was just coming to accept things as they are," said Debbie as she sat next to her youngest, Joe, on their loveseat. "I had to come to accept Joe with his handicap. And Joe had to come to grips with it as well."

The progressions are small but apparent. After the accident he couldn't move any part of his body, but now 28 months later and with the help of extensive therapy, he is moving his arms and legs and speaking words, even some sentences.

"It tickles me to death," Debbie said.

It also makes her even more determined to help him continue his progress. But it doesn't come cheap.

She mortgaged her home to buy the necessities for Joe's treatment, which included a $33,000 wheelchair accessible van, everyday medical materials and instruments such as a Stander and wheelchair to aid in his therapy. He also receives extensive treatment at the Merrillville Rehabilitation Center at The Methodist Hospitals.

Treatment costs, along with the renovations she had to make to accommodate Joe's needs have depleted the family's cash reserves.

Debbie is not sure how she'll continue to care for him.

"People don't know how hard it is to get what you need from Medicaid," Debbie said. "I want our lawmakers to take a look at it and see all the problems that are going on. I just want the chance to take care of my son, but I always have to fight for them."

But with every new hand movement and every new shake of his head, Debbie said she finds new reasons to keep fighting for Joe and his unshakable spirit.

"I don't know what the future will hold, but this is my world now and I will do everything I can to give Joe back what God gave him."