PDA

View Full Version : "Gunny" Ermey's site Banning Marines

ChuckC
12-11-02, 11:24 AM
Heres's a headsup brothers. Yesterday that poor excuse for a website Mail Call banned two active duty, Camp Pendleton Marines. This site is supposed to be for Marines. I encourage all real Marines to avoid this self promoting (for Ermey) waste of bandwidth. I don't know what they are up to, but it is NOT the furtherance of the Corps. Why the History Channel keeps his show on, is beyond me.

GyG1345
12-11-02, 01:58 PM
Make that the non-existent "honorary gunny" ....what did ya say the name was...???

DickG

Sixguns
12-11-02, 06:37 PM
I was at MCRD San Diego and by accident saw his honorary promotion to GySgt. I thought to myself what a joke! As Marines we pride ourselves on earning the title Marine and all awards, decorations and promotions that may follow. Let's face it, if he had never gone to Hollywood and portrayed a Marine DI in a few films, he would be at home on a couch throwing back a few brews and watching movies like the rest of us. Better yet, he might be down at the VFW, AmVets, American Legion or MCL clubhouse talking about his glory days and telling some sea stories. But go to Hollywood and get rich making movies, and HQMC gives you a promotion that you never earned while serving in it's ranks!! AMAZING! Everyone knows he wasn't qualified for promotion -- No current PFT, Rifle score, Pistol score and I betting he never did the Advanced SNCO academy or non-resident course either!!! LOL. I guess it is one reason I'm glad I'm not a Gunny -- They'll give the second rocker to anyone now!

SF,

GyG1345
12-11-02, 07:18 PM
Comforting to see that others, besides myself, can see this--I really had nothing to add to the skipper's original post above--but I responded anyway because I didn't want to miss badmouthing this guy...

My main complaint is that there is supposedly no such thing as an honorary enlisted promotion--hell, you've all seen it, I've posted it a couple times b4.

DickG

dibob
12-12-02, 01:13 AM
Skipper, can you be a bit more specific about the banning of "two Active duty Marines" on the Ermey web site?
Why were they banned?
Where can we read about the banishment on the web site?

Art Petersn
12-12-02, 06:17 AM
The Washington Times <br />
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR <br />
December 6, 2002 <br />
John Kerry's war record <br />
As Sen. John Kerry, Massachusetts Democrat, <br />
considers a bid for the White House, <br />
Americans should know...

Kegler300
12-12-02, 08:42 AM
Please post your source for this information. If this is the case, we should boycott the program!

ChuckC
12-12-02, 04:15 PM
My source is one of the young L/Cpl's himself. The site gives no reason for the banning. There is no public statement of anykind.

USMC0811
12-12-02, 05:45 PM
It's amazing how much money and personal publicity one man can get just from using the Marine Corps to show off. If this man wants to do something for the good of the Marine Corps, then why doesn't he do something for the Corps like Toys for Tots or go overseas and see the troops or help out recruiting efforts. It's time he gives something back to the Corps, b/c for half his life now, he has been living off the Corps and doing nothing for it!

dibob
12-12-02, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ChuckC
My source is one of the young L/Cpl's himself. The site gives no reason for the banning. There is no public statement of anykind.

Skipper, don't you think that before calling for a boycott of the Ermey program, it would be prudent to let your fellow Marines, know exactly what the L/Cpl told you, and if you can vouch for the truth of the L/Cpl's statement. There is already a lynch mob forming in this thread, without the benefit of not knowing what actually happened.

firstsgtmike
12-12-02, 08:46 PM
dibob,

You said it before I could.

GyG1345
12-12-02, 09:26 PM
calling for a boycott (refrain from using) of that site--merely stating what I think of it. Others will choose for themselves.

In my opinion, Ermey is a ****poor poster boy for the Corps, and the Corps is getting the shortend of the stick.

Since it appears that a MCO specifically precludes the appointing of honorary enlisted promotions, I dunno what kinda cheap**** political crap went on this time...

A few weeks ago I got several e-mails from the nameless webmaster of that site asking to list my site with theirs--and/or maybe an exchange of links--I clicked on their site and came away w/the same opinion as the skipper who authored this thread. After a couple more of these e-mails I hit the reply button with the notation, take a hike!

Received several more enraged e-mails from the nameless webmaster who threatened to tell all Marines what a worthless website I had, and apparently, he had memorized Ermey's favorite language--finally blocked his e-mail.

I personally don't think all this has much to do with whether or not the LCpl was justly banned or not--all these sites are owned by someone and any poster/viewer can be banned for any reason or no reason.

DickG

dibob
12-12-02, 10:11 PM
I personally don't think all this has much to do with whether or not the LCpl was justly banned or not--all these sites are owned by someone and can be banned for any reason or no reason.

DickG [/B][/QUOTE]

Please note, gunny, that my remarks were aimed at ChuckC aka Skipper.

Are you serious when you say "all these sites are owned by someone and can be banned for any reason or "no reason."? Do you mean banned by leatherneck.com? Wow!

GyG1345
12-12-02, 10:26 PM
Top:

Yep, serious--a website is personal property--I am here, for instance, by the courtesy of Leatherneck.com who can choose to allow my presence or otherwise, same as anyone else--websites are not public facilities where all have the right to attend, just the privilige.

Some owners choose to manage their baliwicks one way, some another. On some it's spelled out in detail; others leave it up to the individual more or less.

I understand that your remarks were not aimed at me specifically--no offense taken, none intended on my part--some of us have been kicking this one around for a few days now.

Best

DickG

ChuckC
12-13-02, 12:11 AM
Alright, lets keep the record straight. I passed on some factual information. I am making the assumption that as adults you can make up your own minds what you want to do. The Gunny here has also passed on some good intel. The webmaster there has a foul mouth and does not serve the best interests of the Marine Corps. This I know for a fact.

Kegler300
12-13-02, 06:40 AM
Even though he was honorarily promoted to GySgt, I was able to pull up his record and he is only getting retirement pay as a SSgt.

GyG1345
12-13-02, 06:49 AM
MARINE CORPS ORDER P1400.32C

Subj: MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS
(SHORT TITLE: MARCORPROMMAN, VOL 2, ENLPROM)

5. There are no provisions to issue a temporary, honorary or
probationary enlisted appointment.

Posted on Oct 18, 2002, 11:22 AM
from IP address 209.130.221.71

Note:

Would like to see the above verified again, please--by someone on active duty maybe w/the access to do so.

Something not right w/this whole thing....

Thanx.
DickG

NEWB
12-14-02, 01:11 AM
Skipper,
Thanks for the scoop. Maybe I could go to Hollywood and be a movie star. Well, not really, all they would see me do would be screaming "Incoming" as I was diving for a very deep hole.

GyG1345
12-14-02, 11:44 AM
Sound off Editor:

The below referenced Marine Corps Order would
seem to preclude the issuance
of honorary enlisted promotions--yet recent
articles have indicated such for
SSgt Ermey and Gomer Pyle.

Am I misunderstanding this order, or is it
outdated, etc.?

Please advise.

Sincerely,
Richard W. Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Drive
xxxxxxxxxxxx, NY xxxxx

Ref
MARINE CORPS ORDER P1400.32C

Subj: MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2,
ENLISTED PROMOTIONS
(SHORT TITLE: MARCORPROMMAN, VOL 2, ENLPROM)

5. There are no provisions to issue a temporary,
honorary or
probationary enlisted appointment.

Note: Please make sure you are on my Contact List
before attempting to
e-mail me--I am now blocking my e-mail to all but
pre-selected individuals
(due to takusan spam!)--otherwise you may contact
me by posting at my Weblog
shown above.

GyG1345
12-14-02, 12:02 PM
should I receive a response of any kind fr Leatherneck, I will post here.

DickG