PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Heros

mrmom
04-30-06, 01:27 AM
On Sunday, October 23, 1983 at approximately 6:20 a.m. 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers were killed and hundreds of others were wounded or disabled. This was the result of a suicide truck, laden with explosives carrying the equivalent of 20,000 pounds of TNT that detonated on the ground floor of BLT 1/8 headquarters barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The largest non-nuclear explosion of its time. Other servicemen from 1982-1984 perished from sniper fire and other atrocities. Others died years later or are permantly disabled as the result of their wounds. This makes a total of 270 Marines, sailors and soldiers that died during a peacekeeping mission. October 27th 1983 President Ronald W. Reagan broadcasted a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8 24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing. Here is a quote from his speech seconds before closing, “They were not afraid to stand up for their country or, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of a better future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.” :flag:

jinelson
04-30-06, 03:15 AM
I assure you that these Marines Sailors and Soldiers are always remembered by this Marine! They came in peace and fell victims to the first attack on America in this Global War On Terrorism. I dont know if you have seen the thread "Sir I Think We Lost The BLT" if you havent please do. It is the finest memorial that I have seen to keep those brave warriors memory and sacrifice alive. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27386

NEVER FORGET

Semper Fi

Jim

mrmom
04-30-06, 06:23 AM
Jim Thank you for that link!!!! That was a awesome slide show. Keep the faith and keep "OUR FALLEN BROTHERS" In your heart!! Our first duty is to remember. Semper Fi Mr.Mom:flag:

Phantom Blooper
04-30-06, 07:21 AM
On Sunday, October 23, 1983 at approximately 6:20 a.m. 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers were killed and hundreds of others were wounded or disabled. This was the result of a suicide truck, laden with explosives carrying the equivalent of 20,000 pounds of TNT that detonated on the ground floor of BLT 1/8 headquarters barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The largest non-nuclear explosion of its time. Other servicemen from 1982-1984 perished from sniper fire and other atrocities. Others died years later or are permantly disabled as the result of their wounds. This makes a total of 270 Marines, sailors and soldiers that died during a peacekeeping mission. October 27th 1983 President Ronald W. Reagan broadcasted a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8 24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing. Here is a quote from his speech seconds before closing, “They were not afraid to stand up for their country or, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of a better future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.”

Always remember! "Never Forget"....Sounds like something I wrote...

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
04-30-06, 07:44 AM
December 5,2003

Senator,
I am sending this letter to you because you are the Armed Forces Committee of the US Senate and I believe that you are a fervent supporter of the democracy of the United States of America. Sir, if you would I would like to take you back in to American and military history. These histories take place far from Washington, DC on foreign soil. On Sunday, October 23,1983 at approximately 6:20 a.m. 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers were killed and hundreds of others were wounded or disabled. This was the result of a suicide truck, laden with over 12,000 pounds of explosives that detonated in the BLT 1/8 headquarters barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. Other servicemen from 1982-1984 perished from sniper fire and other atrocities. Others died years later or are permantly disabled as the result of their wounds. This makes a total of 270 Marines, sailors and soldiers that died during a peacekeeping mission.
On Tuesday, September 11th 2001 the Pentagon, World Trade Center and Flight 93 outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was attacked by terrorists. Thousands were killed or wounded. Less than one year after the attacks the United States Postal Service unveiled and issued a postage stamp to commemorate these horrendous acts. A ceremony will be held each year, on those sites, to the end of creation to honor all who fell on that fateful day. To this I say to you and America that this is fitting and proper.
On Thursday, October 23,2003 the 20th memorial service was held in various states across this country to honor husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, friends and fallen comrades. There were thousands of families, veterans, civilians, dignateries and distinguished guests in attendance.
However after almost twenty years, a postage stamp has not been issued to commemorate the attack on the Marine compound, peacekeeping mission or any of the lives lost at the hands of terrorists in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.
In 1993 over 20,000 signatures from families, citizens and comrades in favor of a stamp to honor our nations heroes that fell on foreign soil were collected in a petition that was taken to Washington, DC on September 14th 1993 to the United States Postmaster General and the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee. This committee is comprised of 15 people who meet quarterly in Washington, DC and make proposals on various stamps and designs to the PMG. This committee is made up of actors, artists, graphic designers, historians, professors, corporate businessmen and a sports commentator, not an “Everyday Citizen” in the midst. After the recommendation of the CSAC the PMG has the last word on which stamps to approve or disapprove. The group of people requesting the stamp in 1993 met with the secretary to the PMG, and the chairman to the CSAC. Some of the comments made at that time for denying the request was “We try hard to honor positive things.” “People want pretty non-controversial stamps.” “Beirut lacked significance in American history and not enough people were killed.” These comments are simply inaccurate and untrue. Sir, were the tragic events of September 11th 2001 a positive thing?
In the Gulf War, 391 died from their duties stemming from that war. A stamp was issued for the first Gulf War heroes even before they left that war arena. A spokeswoman for the USPS in 1993 said, “I don’t think you can compare the Gulf War with the Beirut, Lebanon campaign.” Sir, when the men and woman warriors went to liberate Kuwait in 1990-1991 they knew clearly that their mission was to go to war. In 1982 when President Ronald W. Reagan committed the United States into a multinational force agreement in Beirut, Lebanon the mission was clearly a “Peacekeeping Mission.”On a historical note, the lives lost on October 23rd, 1983 were the most USMC casualties lost in a single day since storming the shores in Normandy on D-Day June 6th 1944. There are many dictionary definitions for war and peacekeeping. We could compare apples and oranges and different wars, conflicts, and campaigns to the end of time. However, all blood is red, and one American life lost on foreign or domestic soil is one life too many. I believe that all military actions should be honored. There have been military battles fought on foreign land said to be the “Forgotten War.” With respect to the men that waited 50 years to be recognized for their service in Korea, America does not need another blemish of another “Forgotten War.” What is fair is fair! I begrudge no one that has a stamp issued honoring a specific event in history, an individual or event of this great land. I also do not begrudge Abigail Adams, actors, actresses, insects, birds, racehorses, rock stars, musicians, cartoon characters or any one, the list could be endless their moment of fame. However if the PMG, USPS and the CSAC believes that all of the previous stamps issued in the past are worthy of a postage stamp being issued commemorating their fame or event, then I along with thousands of others feel that a postage stamp depicting a peacekeeping mission to honor 270 American lives lost on foreign soil are also worthy of being honored. One of the guidelines set forth by the postal service for issuing stamps for the deceased is that the person being honored has to be deceased for ten years. Sir, on a daily basis we know this to be true. Our brothers were violently snatched from this earth over twenty years ago, so in effect we have well surpassed this guideline. The postal service needs to do the right thing and issue and unveil a commemorative postage stamp.
On a positive note, I met with Congressman Walter B. Jones Jr. R-NC 3rd District at his capitol office on January 9th 2003. As a result, legislation was introduced January 31st 2003. H. Res. 45 expressing the sense of the Congress that a postage stamp be issued in remembrance of the victims of the peacekeeping mission in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. Sir, as you know to formally bring this resolution to the floor there must be fifty signatures of co-sponsors from the house. As of this writing their have only been 36 co-sponsor signatures. Although I feel that Congressman Jones is doing a fine job to champion this cause in Washington, an act of congress should not be be needed to honor Americas 270 fallen heroes from 33 of her states, the District of Columbia, a territory: Puerto Rico, and an allied country: the United Kingdom. There are 384 representative from the fallen heroes states, district and territory in the United States House of Representatives that could sign this H. Res. # 45 and all we can get is 36 names to sign on to the co-sponsor sheet. Sir, I believe we can do better than that. This is a worthy cause that should be supported from you and all members of congress without question. When the 249 Marines 18 sailors and 3 soldiers met their demise in that far off land they done so as Americans and military men defending a cause and an action set forth by the United States government without falter or question. And to you sir I say, the government of the United States in all departments and agencies involved in this process should put aside bias and do the right thing and have the USPS issue a stamp for the peacekeeping action in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. Those men did not die as republicans, democrats, independents, left wing, right wing or any affiliation of political parties or groups. They died honorably as American military men doing as directed by the orders of the Commander and Chief of the United States.
Sir, you are also well aware of how the legislative process in Washington works, with competing agendas, viewpoints and interests, grandiose speechmaking, logrolling and compromise. Sir, I too am aware how the legislative process in Washington, DC works, this initiative can happen if the right person in Washington, DC makes it happen. However, the families of the fallen are still without a postage stamp. A spokeswoman for Congressman Jones office said, “That stamps have been approved for 2004 and 2005, so the soonest a stamp could be approved is 2006.” This is ludicrous. The USPS is in itself a different entity in Washington, DC. It is an independent agency of the government. I guess this means it has nothing to do with what our forefathers said when they wrote “For the people and by the people.” If stamps are already approved for 2004-2005 then what is the purpose of the CSAC meeting in Washington, DC quarterly? I have tried to speak with the PMG and hypothetically it would be easier for me to have an audience with the Pope or a meeting with the President than to speak directly to the PMG. The USPS should not be listed in the directory as an independent agency; it should be listed as a private agency in its own right.
There are many that have pleaded and defended this initiative over the years. I have actively been involved with campaign since October 2002. I have penned many letters to our current and former leaders of this fine nation, some who witnessed the carnage and devastation first hand. It seems though that they have all fell on deaf ears. I have not received a response from the former or current administrations.
An active online petition is on the Internet http://www.beirutstamp.com as of this date 5,509 signatures have been collected. That sir is 5,509 American people that are in favor of a stamp being issued in addition to the 20,000 signatures of the past that would like to have a stamp issued for this catastrophic event. The various Veteran organizations have done stories in their October issue of their magazines and this has generated telephone calls to me from across the states to have me send out paper petitions for citizens that don’t have Internet access.
A special cancellation/cache stamp was approved and issued to be placed on envelopes at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina for one day on October 23rd, 2003. This cancellation stamp falls short of the commemorative postage stamp that has been requested for so many years. This is a nice jester, but it is also a slap in the face, to the families and comrades that have been requesting this stamp to keep the memories alive. Anyone or any town can request a cancellation stamp from the USPS for any local or state event, given ample time to cast the die. The PMG and CSAC are looking into issuing a blanket stamp to cover all terrorist acts against the United States, foreign and domestic. The reason given was that they do not want to “single out a specific terrorist event.” The USPS is again simply inaccurate in this statement, as duly noted with the issuance of the 911 commemorative postage stamp issued one week prior to the first anniversary of this tragedy.
As our country is at war in the Middle East and on our own soil, against terrorism, may I say that Americas first lesson in modern day terrorism,”War on Terror” started back in 1982-1984. Also that our leaders are doing a splendid job of ridding the world of tyrants and terrorist threats, notably so, because of the experience gained and the blood shed in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.From the halls of Montezuma to Chapultipec, BellauWoods, Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq and all of our countries battles, our service personnel have served our country and our military honorably and faithfully. The Marine, sailor and soldier in Beirut, Lebanon did no less. A stamp for the fallen of the Beirut, Lebanon conflict and campaign is not much to ask of our country since our country asked much and received more from the men serving and dying in that far off land.
On October 27th, 1983 President Ronal W. Reagan broadcasted a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8,24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing and the United States involvement in Lebanon. Here is a quote from his speech seconds before closing. “They were not afraid to stand up for their country, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of the future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.”
As in the 19 years past Gold Star mothers, fathers, wives, sons, daughters, family members, friends and comrades made that trek to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina to the “Other Wall” the Beirut Memorial, to bereave and honor their fallen heroes and comrades, twenty years after that act of cowardice. The speeches are done for this year and the last note of Taps has echoed through the forests of Camp Lejeune, NC and sir, I again say to you the time to honor our fallen servicemen and the families left behind with a commemorative postage is here and now. Sir, I beseech you to use your influence with your colleagues from the fallen heroes 33 states, district and territory to make this a bi-partisan effort and issue the commemorative postage stamp

Thank you! You may contact me anytime at (910) 324-XXXX or by email phantomblooper@earthlink.net Semper Fidelis! God Bless America! “Never Forget”

Charles G. Hall
SSGT USMC
0369 Retired