PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Smoker Relieves Tension, Builds Camaraderie

thedrifter
12-11-02, 06:44 AM
by Cpl. Colin Wyers
Marine Corps News
December 10, 2003

CAMP COMMANDO, Kuwait -- "We who are about to fight, salute you!"

Those ancient words hailed the start of a boxing smoker Dec. 1 at the newly-built boxing ring at Camp Commando, Kuwait, where I Marine Expeditionary Force forces are deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Twenty-one Marines and one soldier spent three minutes in the ring under a clear sky, trading blows in a match up designed to lift the spirits of both the participants and the spectators.

We're working around the clock, and this gives us an opportunity to stop working, have fun, and relieve some stress in the ring," said Sgt. Arbez Cruz, the Morale, Welfare and Recreation representative from the I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters

Both those inside and outside the ring may not have known what to expect after the first whistle blew, but shortly afterward, spectators were cheering on their favorites and the fighters were landing blows in fast succession.

"I was scared of doing it, but afterwards, I knew I could do it again," said Lance Cpl. John McClean, a participant in the first bout. "More energy was flowing through me, knowing that not only was I doing something I was scared of, but I was doing good

Marines who stepped into the flat wooden ring were outfitted with gloves, pads and mouthpieces in order to keep the event safe.

"We had to do a lot of improvising," said Cruz, who is from New York. "We did have the equipment to box with, but we needed to get more gloves, we had to go to (Camp) Doha to pick up some gear, (and) we had to find mouth guards."

Although these precautions weren't enough to keep some fighters from leaving the ring bloodied, ensuring the safety of participants was an important part of the planning for the event.

"Previous to the fight, each and every fighter got a physical," said Cruz. "A doc and several corpsmen were out there observing each and every fight." While the event was competitive, the participants didn't hold any grudges afterwards.

"A lot of Marines relieved a lot of stress... but at the end of every fight, each of the Marines hugged the other one, regardless of who was the loser or winner," said Cruz.

Although the fighters were varied, including one female match up, organizers will be on the lookout for a more varied group of participants for the next smoker, which is scheduled for Jan. 1.

"Hopefully some other services will be present," said Cruz. "One person from the Army came this time. We're also looking for more officers and more staff NCOs (staff non-commissioned officers)."

Those who stayed up in the stands during the last smoker are already clamoring to be in the ring during the next one.

"I've been approached by several Marines who are anxious to know when the next event is going to be," said Cruz. "A lot of Marines didn't want to be the first name on the list, but now everybody's fighting to be on the list."

©2002 Military Advantage, Inc.

Sempers,

Roger