PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines work for wounded soldier's promotion

thedrifter
04-28-06, 06:32 AM
Young Marines work for wounded soldier's promotion

Justin Juozapavicius
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 27, 2006 06:24 PM

Members of a youth development group want to give the government 5,000 reasons to promote a Mesa soldier who survived a harrowing bomb attack in Iraq two years ago.

The Apache Bravo Young Marines in Apache Junction have collected about 2,000 signatures so far for a petition to promote Army sniper Brent Bretz from sergeant to staff sergeant.

The group's goal is to deliver petitions with 5,000 signatures to Army brass in Washington in early June.

Bretz, who lost most of both legs after a makeshift bomb blew up his truck outside Mosul, was up for the promotion before the December 2004 incident.

While Bretz underwent dozens of grueling surgeries last year, the Young Marines adopted him, sending Christmas cards and gift baskets to his hospital in Texas and greeting him at the airport when he flew home to Mesa.

"It's not about the money," said Gary Boland, executive officer and drill instructor for the Young Marines, a youth development program that teaches leadership and responsibility. "The kid's never going to be able to do what he wanted to do again."

Boland's group is mailing out signature requests to Gov. Janet Napolitano and U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jon Kyl, among other politicians, and is planning several signature drives in front of Bashas' grocery stores.

"It's a pretty big boost to know about all the efforts of these kids," said Brent's mom, Kathy Pearce, who has become an advocate for disabled veterans. "It's just something he wants."
Bretz was driving a 5-ton supply truck in 2004 when an improvised explosive device blew up, tearing the vehicle to shreds and sending shrapnel slicing into his body.

Along with his leg injuries, he had a shattered arm and lost his hearing in one ear. Doctors operated to relieve swelling on the right side of Brent's brain and stabilize his other wounds, as family and friends expected the worst.

Brent's long road back to normal has his doctors in Texas fitting him for two prosthetic legs. He is looking at months of adjusting to the new limbs.

"Let him move on with life a little bit before he goes under the knife again," Pearce said.

People who want to sign the petition should call (480) 671-5165.

Ellie

LittleDevilDog
04-28-06, 10:36 PM
Good to read what fellow Young Marine units are doing around the country.

Makes me proud to be a member of the program.

25thInf
11-22-10, 01:12 AM
That day is stuck in my head forever; Brent kept me out of that truck that day. I was behind him in the rear vehicle. Enough sead about that crap. Im glad the that the Young Marines could do that for you Bother. A few of you will know that we where attached to the Marines in 04. It was somthing in Faluja; Marines we would fight with u anyday. Brent talk to u soon! :iwo: