PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 'Armstrong Pull Up Program' need help please

BigWayne3000
04-26-06, 05:50 PM
hey guys... I am shipping out in 45 days and right now, I cant even do 1 pull up. I just bought this product called "Ironman Power Tower" which is a pull up bar, dips, push ups, leg raises and a bunch of things in one machine. My question is, the only way I can do pull ups right now is if I have someone or a chair or something to support my feet alittle bit and doing it that way I can get out atleast 10-15 pull ups before I die haha. What my question is, I want to start on the Armstrong Pullup Program but will this program still work if I need that little support for my feet? I was thinking that maybe after a week or 2 on this program than I wouldnt need that support anymore and Id be able to do it myself. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

MKinney
04-26-06, 06:19 PM
Spend about a week doing exercises on a Lateral pulldown machine and an assist pullup/chinup machine to get your muscles built a bit. You can also try negatives. Get a chair and get your chin above the bar, then have someone move the chair out from under you. Hold yourself up for as long as possible and slowly let yourself down. (Repeat 3 or 4 times)

Marine0313
04-26-06, 07:38 PM
Have a buddy help you with this exercise, First do as many pull ups as you can by youself before jumping off the bar bend you legs back and have your buddy help you with at least five more. then jump down wait 2 minutes and do it again but only doing four pull ups do this excerise all the way to one pull up then start back with one just do one then two and then three all the way back up to five. you need to do this three times a week alternating days the way you get better is instead of waiting 2 minute the next week only wait a 1 minute and 30 seconds you will still need assistance to get through the whole exercise but you will get better and in 45 days should do at least five good pull ups easy the best way to get better at pull ups is just to do pull ups if you have any questions just let me know. Before you know it you want need to jump off the bar and wait at all there for doing the max amount of pull ups

ps You will bend your legs back and your buddy will grab them this will allow you to stan up to get over the bar practice makes perfect.
this is what our poolies do 1 night pull ups 1 night crunches and run

SNCOIC Recruiting Sub Station Wichita South Good Luck

Hocker
04-28-06, 10:18 PM
Have a buddy help you with this exercise, First do as many pull ups as you can by youself before jumping off the bar bend you legs back and have your buddy help you with at least five more. then jump down wait 2 minutes and do it again but only doing four pull ups do this excerise all the way to one pull up then start back with one just do one then two and then three all the way back up to five. you need to do this three times a week alternating days the way you get better is instead of waiting 2 minute the next week only wait a 1 minute and 30 seconds you will still need assistance to get through the whole exercise but you will get better and in 45 days should do at least five good pull ups easy the best way to get better at pull ups is just to do pull ups if you have any questions just let me know. Before you know it you want need to jump off the bar and wait at all there for doing the max amount of pull ups

ps You will bend your legs back and your buddy will grab them this will allow you to stan up to get over the bar practice makes perfect.
this is what our poolies do 1 night pull ups 1 night crunches and run

SNCOIC Recruiting Sub Station Wichita South Good Luck

He says he can'nt even do one pull up.:sick:
Dude your in some serious fecal mater.
You better loose some serious weight and do alot of arm exercising.
Learn the Gimp , or you'll be in PCP platoon :iwo:

Marine0313
04-29-06, 09:01 AM
There is know exercise that can do what a assisted pull up can or a assisted pull up machine can. To get good at pull ups you have to do pull ups and alot of them assisted or not. I know kids that cant do one and dont have a weight problem. They just thought doing push ups will help push ups is a pushing motion pull ups is a pull even on a lat pull down machine there still is no replacement for the pull up itself.

CrazyBrave83
04-29-06, 09:57 AM
There is know exercise that can do what a assisted pull up can or a assisted pull up machine can. To get good at pull ups you have to do pull ups and alot of them assisted or not. I know kids that cant do one and dont have a weight problem. They just thought doing push ups will help push ups is a pushing motion pull ups is a pull even on a lat pull down machine there still is no replacement for the pull up itself.

The SSgt. is correct.

There is no 'magic bullet' theory to pull ups. Lat Pulldowns may help with strength, but before I left for boot I was doing 14 Pull Ups, and since I've been back I lift weights. Example: I can lat pulldown 200 lbs for reps, but my Pull Ups have actually dropped to the 10-12 range because I don't do them as frequently.

For the next 45 Days, Poolee, it'd be in your best interest to just do pull ups. Get on that bar whenever you have free time and bust them out. Sure, work on the upper body strength, but the major goal here is to get at least 3, which should be possible for anyone (short of senior citizens, the paralyzed, and amputees) to get. Your body just has to get used to the motions. You can't do one? You'll need to. So just get up there and try.

Hocker
04-29-06, 10:26 PM
[quote=CrazyBrave83]The SSgt. is correct.

There is no 'magic bullet' theory to pull ups. Lat Pulldowns may help with strength, but before I left for boot I was doing 14 Pull Ups, and since I've been back I lift weights. Example: I can lat pulldown 200 lbs for reps, but my Pull Ups have actually dropped to the 10-12 range because I don't do them as frequently.

For the next 45 Days, Poolee, it'd be in your best interest to just do pull ups. Get on that bar whenever you have free time and bust them out. Sure, work on the upper body strength, but the major goal here is to get at least 3, which should be possible for anyone (short of senior citizens, the paralyzed, and amputees) to get. Your body just has to get used to the motions. You can't do one? You'll need to. So just get up there and try.[/quote

Serious , do pull ups everyday have a friend wrap his arms around your legs to assist you , like a spotter .
Its a power to weight ratio the less you weigh the more power you will have to lift your body. So lose all UN necessary weight through any means possible. Stop consul games and TV get out side and start moving, when you get to PI its to late , they will own you and i mean own.Unless you want to be the guide on carrier that says PCP you best get Jenny Craig.
Most squad bays had a lat type machine to help you train for pull ups ,myself and a few others were the only ones that used it. dont gaff this off you need to take action. asap:flag:

DanCross
04-29-06, 11:54 PM
Like the SSgt said, with pullups, there's no substitute for actually doing the exercise. You've got 45 days; with work, you should be able to do 6-8 by the time you ship. You're going to get weaker in boot camp, especially during first phase, so anticipate that and prepare for it. Pyramids are a great way to ramp up pulls.

The LCpl is right, also. Try to shed excess weight if you can; it'll help. Also, once you can do a few, try *adding* weight when you do the pulls: put on a backpack full of heavy books or rocks or something similar. If you can do 3-4 with 30-40 pounds extra on your back, you'll be doing 6-7 without.

An important thing is to not get discouraged. Set a goal, a reasonable one, and work on achieving it. Once you hit it, set a higher one and work up to that. Before you know it, you'll be where you want to be.

devildoghopeful
05-01-06, 09:02 AM
Is it the same with crunches? I mean is it just keep doing them over and over again or are there good exersises to help?:

Hocker
05-01-06, 10:52 AM
Is it the same with crunches? I mean is it just keep doing them over and over again or are there good exersises to help?:
Start with 5lbs wieght and hold it to your chest and then do your situps.

DanCross
05-01-06, 10:52 AM
Pretty much. Repetition, repetition, repetition are what get you in shape for a PFT. With crunches, other exercises (leg lifts, flutter kicks, hello-dolly's) will help get your abs in shape. Also, once you can do 50-60, adding weight and doing them will help. Take, for instance a 10, 15, or 25 pound weight and grab it to your chest while you do a timed set of crunches.

Crunches is an interesting event on the PFT: it's the one that almost everybody maxes out (or does 99) in boot camp.

Just keep working at it. Again, set goals, don't defeat yourself by getting discouraged, and once you make the first goal, move up to another....

Oh, another technique for crunches: when I DEP'ed in, our RS Gunny (New York is big, so there's a bunch of RSS's) came down and told us a trick. Just do 100 crunches, taking as long as you need to. The first time, for instance, it may take you 10 minutes. But if you do that every day, pretty soon the time starts to decrease, and before you know it, you're doing 100 in like, a minute and a half or something. Then you're good. Doing something like that CANNOT be bad; I would even say change it up a little and try and do MORE than are required: try doig 150, or 200, and bringing down the time. Pretty soon, you'll be doing 200 in two and a half minutes or something, which means you'll easily be maxing the event.

DanCross
05-01-06, 10:56 AM
(Whoops; what Hocker said!)

the_mo
05-01-06, 01:31 PM
Form is very important!
You see these guys doing sit ups at pft going all the way up.
Like they tell you arms across the chest and hit the thighs, shoulder blades hit the deck, thats it. Just got to pump them out, tap the thighs hit the deck. Once you can do them right you can do 100 pretty easy in the first min or so. when i started i was going all the way up and could only do like 70 max, then a fresh boot grad showed me how to do em right(crunches not sit ups!).

Same thing with pull ups, form is alot of it, you need to have control not flailing all around wasting energy.

Poolee Moman:flag:

Hocker
05-01-06, 04:09 PM
Form is very important!
You see these guys doing sit ups at pft going all the way up.
Like they tell you arms across the chest and hit the thighs, shoulder blades hit the deck, thats it. Just got to pump them out, tap the thighs hit the deck. Once you can do them right you can do 100 pretty easy in the first min or so. when i started i was going all the way up and could only do like 70 max, then a fresh boot grad showed me how to do em right(crunches not sit ups!).

Same thing with pull ups, form is alot of it, you need to have control not flailing all around wasting energy.

Poolee Moman:flag:
Dont for get to eat 5 chili cheese with saurkraut hot dogs before hand the gasses build up in your stomach will make you more springy and making your sit ups easier.:banana: Sempir Fi