PDA

View Full Version : President Bush spends Sunday with the troops

thedrifter
04-23-06, 07:27 AM
President Bush spends Sunday with the troops
HO-TV Des Moines

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. President Bush will spend much of his day in California with Marines and sailors, attending church and joining them for lunch at a base at Twentynine Palms.
Bush, in the third day of a four-day visit, spent the previous two days talking about long-term ways to get Americans to kick their addiction to oil. He also marked Earth Day by having a rugged mountain bike ride in Napa County.Last night in Indian Wells, near Palm Springs, he helped pull in nearly two (m) million dollars for the national G-O-P at a country club dinner.Tomorrow, after a speech on immigration in Orange County, the president heads for Las Vegas and a fundraiser for Nevada Congressman Jon Porter.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-23-06, 07:29 AM
April 23, 2006
Allentown native to meet Bush
The Morning Call

President is to visit California base, have brunch with Marines.
An Allentown native serving with the Marine Corps in California is scheduled to have brunch with President Bush today — along with dozens of other Marines, at their base.

Staff Sgt. Rodney Bolton, 36, a platoon leader with 7th Marines, 2nd Battalion stationed at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif., put a request in for the brunch last week.

'He is the boss, the commander-in-chief. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience,'' Bolton said Saturday.

Bolton wasn't sure how many others would be attending but said dozens of Marines are expected. A base spokeswoman on Saturday confirmed the Bush visit.

''I do know some of the guys who were wounded in Iraq will be sitting at the same table with the president,'' Bolton said. ''One of our guys will be up there. He lost an eye in Iraq.''

In January, Bolton returned from a seven-month tour of Iraq. His unit patrolled Fallujah and also helped provide security for the December national elections. Bolton wasn't injured during his Iraq tour.

A 15-year Marine Corps veteran, Bolton grew up in center city Allentown, and his parents, Ronald Troxell and Donna Bolton, still live near Ninth and Liberty streets, said a stepbrother, David Troxell.

''Rodney used to work at the [the Little Apple] IGA on Seventh Street,'' David Troxell said. ''It was a tough time, growing up in Allentown, but things are working out pretty well for him.''

Bolton lives in base housing at Twentynine Palms with his wife, DeeDee (Arndt) Bolton, an Emmaus High School graduate. They have three daughters: 7-year-old twins Bridgette and Kaitlyn and 17-month-old Aleesha.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-24-06, 06:21 AM
Bush calls Iraqi leaders, lunches with Marines
WIS-TV Columbia

(Twentynine Palms, California-AP) April 23, 2006 - President Bush has congratulated Iraq's leaders by phone on the formation of a coalition government, and lunched with Marines at a California military base.

Bush says he told Iraq's president, prime minister-designate and parliament speaker they have a duty to improve the lives of Iraqis, defeat the insurgency and unite the country.

Bush told military families at the Marine Corps Air Ground Center at Twentynine Palms the Iraqi leaders expressed "their deep appreciation" for the sacrifice the US military is making.

Bush told the Marines they're "defeating an enemy overseas so we do not have to face them here at home." Bush says the only way the US can lose in Iraq is to lose its nerve.

Before joining the families for lunch, Bush attended church services on the desert base.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-24-06, 06:38 AM
'Incredibly proud'
Erica Solvig
The Desert Sun
April 24, 2006
President Bush knows the headlines: "Support for the war in Iraq dwindles." "Generals call for the defense secretary's resignation." "Continued violence in Iraq claims lives."

But on Sunday, an unflinching Bush stood in front of some 350 Marines, sailors and families at the Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms and vowed victory in Iraq.

"A lot of times people ask me about my attitude about things, and here's my attitude - the only way we can lose in Iraq is if we lose our nerve," Bush said to those crowded in a dining hall. They responded with a resounding "Ooh-rah."

"And I'm not losing my nerve, and I know that the United States Marine Corps will not lose their nerve either."

The five-minute pep talk highlighted a visit that included a worship service and lunch on the Marine base. It was the first time a president has visited the Marine base, although President Bush's mother, Barbara, had visited in the early 1990s.

The visit was part of a busy agenda on the second day of Bush's desert trip. Sunday started with a 7.5-mile bike ride in the hills of Palm Springs; included a nearly hour-long visit with former President Gerald Ford and his wife, Betty, at their Rancho Mirage home; and ended with dinner at The Lodge with several mayors from Southern California.

Bush arrived at Palm Springs International Airport on Saturday evening and attended a Republican party fundraiser at Indian Wells' Toscana Country Club that netted nearly $2 million.

Bush spent Saturday and Sunday nights at The Lodge in Rancho Mirage.

He leaves this morning on Air Force One from the Palm Springs airport to Orange County, where he will discuss immigration reform.

Motivating the troops Bush spent much of Sunday pursuing one of the pleasures of his job: interacting, comforting and inspiring Marines, sailors and their families.

At 932 square miles, Twentynine Palms is the nation's largest Marine base. It's home to about 11,000 military members and to the unique war training effort known as Mojave Viper. There, members of every unit deployed to Iraq train in urban warfare in mock cities designed to resemble the dangerous streets of the country.

Bush chatted with service men and women at church and during the nearly two hours he spent at the dining hall.

Bush also met with the mother of Sgt. Andy Stevens, a 29-year-old from Tomah, Wis., who was one of the 10 Marines from 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines who died outside Fallujah in December. With their commander-in-chief present, many Marines had fun. They swapped jokes and snapped shots either with the president or as he moved through the buffet line.

"It motivates us a lot," said Pfc. Weston Haradon of Wichita, Kan. "Even though he puts us in harm's way, it's good to know he appreciates us."

'Incredibly proud'
After the contemporary church service complete with live music and a slide show above the altar, Bush removed his suit coat and red tie. He rolled up the sleeves of his blue-collared shirt and spent lunch mingling with Marines at the local dining hall.

He stood shoulder to shoulder with those in line, making small talk as he got his plate of roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans.

"Because of your service, we're defeating an enemy overseas so we do not have to face them here at home," Bush said. "Because of your service, we've liberated people from the clutches of a tyrant.

"And because of your service, we're laying the foundation of peace for a generation of Americans to come.

"These are historic times, and your service makes me incredibly proud."

There was no mention of retired generals' efforts to oust Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld. Nor did Bush mention the recent polls that show the majority of Americans think the war in Iraq was a mistake and don't expect victory.

Instead, Bush spent most of his visit walking table to table and talking with Marines about their service. He took extra time with those who had been injured, said the base's commanding general, Brig. Gen. Douglas Stone.

Bush stopped for plenty of photos and "hugged them like they were his own children," Stone said.

Bush told Marines he talked on the phone Sunday morning with Iraq's president, speaker of the assembly and prime minister-designate. The three "expressed their deep appreciation," Bush said.

"They understand the sacrifices that you are making on their behalf, and they are grateful for those sacrifices," Bush said.

Message received
"And the reason why they are is because they represent the 12 million people who went to the polls in the face of incredible terrorist threats, and said, 'We want to be free. We desire to live in a free society.'"

Many Marines said they supported the president's vision and the war in Iraq.

"For many of us and all the guys coming in now, there's no question what to expect," said Lance Cpl. Danny Hernando, a 19-year-old from Springfield, Mo. He served on Bush's re-election campaign.

"If they don't support the war, it's an odd time to be joining.

"Although support for the war is dwindling, there's a job that needs to be finished.

"We started a job. We need to finish it."

In his words
Here is what President Bush told the Marines during lunch Sunday at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center:

Thanks for the warm welcome. Sergeant major, thanks for the introduction. It’s an honor to be here.

I’ve been really looking forward to coming to Twentynine Palms. The general told me that I’m the first president ever to have come. It’s an honor to be the first president, but he also reminded me that my mother beat me to the punch. (Laughter.)

I want to share some thoughts with you right quick. One, I’m incredibly proud of the United States Marine Corps. (Applause.)

You bring honor to our country. You represent the very best of America. You represent men and women who volunteer to serve during dangerous and historic times. And because of your service, we’re defeating an enemy overseas so we do not have to face them here at home. (Applause.)

Because of your service, we’ve liberated people from the clutches of a tyrant. And because of your service, we’re laying the foundation of peace for a generation of Americans to come. These are historic times, and your service makes me incredibly proud.

And I also want to say something to your families. It’s hard when your loved one is overseas. I respect your sacrifice, and want to thank you very much for your service to our country, as well. (Applause.)

Today I — this morning I was — had three phone calls I think that you might find of interest. I spoke to the president of Iraq, the speaker of the Iraqi Assembly, and the prime minister-designate. It was a remarkable phone call.

First, they expressed their deep appreciation for the United States of America and our soldiers. They understand the sacrifices that you are making on their behalf, and they are grateful for those sacrifices.

And the reason why they are is because they represent the 12 million people who went to the polls in the face of incredible terrorist threats, and said, we want to be free; we desire to live in a free society.

I told them — I said that they have awesome responsibilities to their people. They have the responsibility of improving the lives of men and women, regardless of their religious status and nature; they have responsibilities to defeat the terrorists; they have a responsibility to unite their country, and I believe they will.

The formation of this government is an important milestone toward our victory in Iraq.

A lot of times people ask me about my attitude about things, and here’s my attitude — the only way we can lose in Iraq is if we lose our nerve. (Applause.) And I’m not losing my nerve, and I know that the United States Marine Corps will not lose their nerve, either. (Applause.)

Yesterday was an important day, but I recognize we still have more work to do. Democracy in Iraq will be a major blow for the terrorists who want to do us harm. Democracy in Iraq will deny them safe haven. Democracy in Iraq will set a powerful example for people in a part of the world who are desperate for freedom.

It is such an honor to be here with the mighty United States Marine Corps and their families. May God bless you all, and may God continue to bless our country. Thank you. (Applause.)